Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF daily Friday 2nd January 2009

Hello all,

Phhhewww! I'm glad the Xmas/New Year madness is over. I found it much more difficult than I thought I would, and need to figure out how to make the transition from "not drinking" to "non-drinker".

I'm off to work, where I'm sure there'll be lots of talk about "detoxing for January"! Yippee!

Have a great day all.
    sigpic
    AF since December 22nd 2008
    Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Happy Friday/Saturday everyone! Marshy thank you for getting us started today. Count me in as another who is glad the holidays are over.

It was awesome to participate early in yesterday's New Years thread and then catch up on the rest of it this morning. We had SO many MWO friends who successfully stayed AF through the holidays!!! To quote LVT:
    We Rock! :band2: :yougo: :kudos:

Mo - welcome to the band of happy hangover free people! Look forward to getting to know you better over the next 30.

Mame - WOOKIE IS ADOREABLE!!!!!

From Sausage:However there is nothing more boring than being sober and out with a load of drunks acting really stupidly and laughing over nothing and talking incoherently.
    What makes me cringe about that is the number of times that was ME and I thought I was being fun / funny. :egad:

M3 - WOW at the description of your morning thoughts while in your friend's hot tub. I can't imagine traveling like you did for as long as you were away - and that's with just me and Mr. Doggy in the thoughts and no kids!!! Is that something you do every year? Or was this a first? Will you be doing that next year?

Deter, I think I'll have a scary dream with you too.

Hello to everyone else who posted yesterday!

I am already going on the laundry today. I will leave in time to be AT Curves when they open at 6AM so I can get back here by 7. My truck needs to go in for an oil change and once over - it's old so I try to take good care of it and the oil change is now 1200 miles overdue. My mechanic has been really busy all this week - I'm sure people doing what I am trying to do - get things taken care of while work is slow or closed or whatever. So I will not be making my cold calls today, but if there is ever a good day for not doing that, today will be the day. Lot's of businesses (not retail, but other types) will be closed today.

The turkey dinner turned out awesome yesterday! I used this method of cooking the turkey Mom's Roast Turkey Recipe | Simply Recipes. I think they are onto something with the "cook it upside down and the breast will be juicy" thing. This was also the first of the 6 turkeys I got from the local farm. Mr. Doggy: "I think this is the best turkey I've ever had." I like the cooking method but I DO think the natural way this turkey was raised free range and no crap food and no anti-biotics, etc. probably made a difference too. I realize that most of you are probably done making cranberry sauce for the year, but just in case.... I saw a tip on that same web site to add blueberries and one or a combo of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg to it, and THAT was a winner too.

Well, I'm off and running to put clothes in the dryer. I love the simple things in life when there is no hangover to make them suck.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Aloha All! Actually you are lucky to be going to work. I have way too much time on my hands this 3 week break from work and found myself very irritable today, unfocused, crabby, frustrated...what else is there? I'm just glad the day is over and have finally slipped into Friday. I plan on really being productive this new day. I have seeds to plant- bean, tomato and ch. peas. Hopefully things will dry out a bit. I will take that walk that I've been putting off for two weeks and start to get back into the routine. I may even go into my classroom for a few hours, gotta feed the fish and do a million other things to begin to prepare for a new semester. So lots of plans but first have to get some sleep. Seems quite elusive these days.
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Marshy & Everyone To Come:

I just couldn't sleep this AM so decided to get up & do a few things for myself. I read the last page of yesterday's daily abs thread. It was such food for thought. The whole business of slipping &/or the desire to drink coming out of the blue. It has happened to me, & I've either acted on it or not. Of course, when I resist the impulse & don't drink, I'm so much better for it. Mom3, I loved your image of getting in the hot tub & just letting yourself feel your emotions for good or for difficult. Yes, I sometimes have those regretful feelings about holidays & past events that were spoiled by AL. But, I feel that the AF future is so hopeful. I think that eventually the memories will serve me to stay AF and will fade in time.

I'm continuing to reinforce in my mind the goal of staying AF in 2009. I won't let go of the daily work of not picking up a drink. Our lifestyle is such that we're involved w/people who drink moderately, but yes, they drink. We give dinner parties & are invited out. Our SIL drinks, as do many of our other close relatives. I've got to find a way to be around it wo/feeling deprived. I must realize that there is no deprivation involved in drinking nice AF drinks while others have their 1 or 2 AL drinks. I must know deep into my bones that if I put any kind of AL into my system, that it will trigger a binge. It's as simple as that. There is no moderation for me.

MWO is such a huge part of my journey. I can't tell all of you how alone w/this problem I was before I joined. I'm so glad I have this in my life. Once in a while I have trouble getting into this site, & I get a little panicky thinking that maybe I've lost it. Catastrophic thinking sets in. I've committed myself to going to more 12 step meetings as well. I need them.

I hope all of you out there are going to have a wonderful new year. I have a feeling that 2009 is going to be somewhat eventful for me.

Take care everyone.

Love, Mary

PS: I'll try to check back later when everyone is up.
        Wisdom, Courage, Strength
        October 3, 2012

Comment

Hi DGirl & Hula: We were cross-posting. Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

hi Marshy and DG, and all to come later - a happy 2nd day of the new year!

I think cooking the bird upside down is great - I'm sure it works, though I usually turn it up the right way after about an hour to brown the top. Putting a few lemons inside it also helps keep it moist (and adds a certain flavour), and laying strips of bacon on top (actullay I just like eating the crispy bacon once it's done!). Am trying to cook Thai food this year - i have a friend who's a brilliant cook and gives me tips - I've also found a great Thai supermarket - lived here 8 years and finally starting to find out some of the good stuff around!

Have to say I managed NYs Eve sober, drinking sparkling water and at midnight tried a NA fizzy drink with lychee - disgusting! will stick to soft drinks from now on, though I have to admit to enjoying NA beer at the moment. I know most NA beers promise to have 'less than 5% alcohol' which allows them to advertise themselves as NA, but this one I really think has NO alcohol, and for me it's a less-sweet soft drink.

Haven't yet made it to the gym (one resolution that has yet to be activated) but I did go for a hike yesterday. Today is, I'm afraid, being spent in work as I have a huge amount to do and deadlines approaching. Mind you, as I'm such a good procrastinator, I've managed to be here an hour and a half without achieving anything - resolution 3 obviously still on hold! Thank goodness resolution 1 is still holding strong - NO DRINK! and if this is the only resolution I achieve this year I'll be happy

Oh well, on with the procrastination...

Happy day everyone! :l
            :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
            Goals:
            Days 1-7 DONE
            Days 8-14 DONE
            Days 15-21 DONE
            30 days DONE
            60 days
            100 days

Comment

Hi, everyone!!

Don't have much to say these days, in a deep funk but wanted to touch base and let all know I am reading and very happy to see so many doing well.

Lots of love for all of you from me.
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Hi guys and happy Friday to all! Hope everyone is doing great and well on their way to meeting their resolution goals. On my way through day 2 of giving up cigars and am pretty sure it will stick as was reading about nicotine addiction last night and realized that it causes gum loss, which I have experienced first-hand.

Was initially beating myself up about it (I started smoking them a little more after stopping drinking) but realized that it does no good. Can I change the last year - of course not, and worrying about what will happen over the next year solves nothing either. All I can do is not smoke them anymore and accept whatever happens from here forward, right?

Humbling yes, but I have to remind myself that things could always be worse (I could still be drinking).

Cindi - just saw your note. Is there anything we can do to help? Sorry to hear you are in a funk and will be thinking of you...
                Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Good morning Marshy, Doggy, Hula, reteach, Cinders, Ariel, AAth,
                  I just read through yesterdays thread and it was a good one. Reminded me that even those people who seem to be "sailing through" this AF life are often hear the calling of the "beast" in the worst way. I have some days that seem pretty "easy" and others that are so darn hard that I can hardly stand it. Hoping that 2009 will bring more "easy" days than hard ones.

AAthlete, think of the positive of giving up AL! One of my goals is to think of the positives! I tend to go the other way! Cindi, hope you get to feeling better! Hula, hope your Friday will be a great one! Hugs to all.
                  Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
                  - Tolkein

Comment

Happy Friday to all!! Feeling much better today after battling a cold. Hope to get a bike ride or maybe a small hike in. Need to go to the office for a few hours.

2009 is all about me and taking care of ME. I have loads of old an new reading material about changing my thoughts and learning new behaviours. I am excited about this.

Everyone have a great day, be safe and happy.

R2C
                    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                    :h

Comment

Happy sober day to all!! Cindi, if there is any thing I can do.... Hope the funk clears asap, you know how much you are loved by your family and friends!!

nat
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

mame, just saw the pic of the new kitty, boy he is very cute!! enjoy. AA, yesterday I had asked a favor and wanted you to check with any of your club buds who run, what is up with the chicago marathon, are they going to have it this year? thanks

nat
                        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Good morning... I saw M3's post from last night... it was marvelous.

AA, good for you, about the cigars. Nasty stuff for your lips and mouth tissue...

Cindi, I'm worried about you... I know you have been working with doctors about a couple of issues, and I hope some medication tweaking may be helpful, with the mood? How about the antabuse? Is that something you are still using? Exercise?

Marshy, that's a great question/life task:
                          making the transition from "not drinking" to "non-drinker".
                          Would be good to hear how others see that! For me, a large part (but probably not all) of the process involves my own inner self-talk. The foundation of that is very simple: I repeat the phrase "I don't drink" to myself, anytime I have become aware that thoughts about drinking come into my mind, and especially when I am contemplating a social occasion in which someone will offer me a drink. I have to think it through.... how will I handle it, what will I say, how will I feel, what will I drink that is non-alcoholic... ?

And another part of the process involves the reading I do, and the spiritual approach I take to living a life as a human being. Buddhist practice involves a very strong reverence for human life, and for clarity of consciousness. The two foundations of wisdom are: clarity and compassion. When I remind myself that I have an obligation and opportunity to use this human life that I have been given to cultivate wisdom (and to use it for the benefit of all beings), I realize that alcohol has no legitimate role in my life... it robs me of a clear outlook, and clear thinking, and it makes me angry, bitter, and certainly lacking in compassion (for myself and others).

I posted something a few days ago that I found, about the role of beliefs (especially "religious" beliefs) in promoting self-control. I think there's an important truth to be had in that scientific finding. And I believe that we can work on adopting beliefs consistent with our most important values. So... I work on that, and my foundation "beliefs" include the belief that I don't drink!

Comment

I just wanted to share something that happened here. On New Years eve hubby and I were in town which is about 10 miles from home. Our sons (10 and 14) stayed home with their cousin (15). We got a phone call from eldest son and the story goes like this:

Mom, we went to cook a pizza, so we preheated the oven, we smelled something (hubby had left last night's pork chops in the oven) so we opened the oven and took the pan out. After a while the drawer where we keep the towels and pot holders was (smoking or glowing) so we opened the drawer and stuff was on fire!! We put it out though and it didn't hurt anything except a little place on the floor.

Evidently he had touched the element with the handmade dishcloth/potholder and when he put it in the drawer it started smoldering. I'm so happy no one got hurt and they kept their heads and put water on the fire to get it out right away!

Scares the s#$t out of me to think of how this could have gone down!! I don't think we'll use the crocheted potholders anymore--too flammable!

Just thought I'd share that.

Today I'm trying to get into a new routine and so far all I've done is check e-mails and fart around here. I plan to do my devotions/meditation, exercise before I start my chores. We are celebrating youngest son's b-day by taking him and some friends roller skating and then a movie (Bedtime Stories) later today.

Wishing everyone (esp you Cindi), a great day.:h
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Hi again!

Mary - I thought about your description of the challenge of entertaining for / being entertained by people who can drink normally. It reminded me of a challenge you and I shared (and many others too) that we have overcome through "practice" - the drinking / cooking connection. I really believe Mary that the longer your AF stretch gets where you have NOT had alcohol - even though the normal drinkers do - it really will become second nature. (and of course, even when things feel like second nature we are still wise to keep our guards up!)

Ariel - I put the "Pro" in Pro-crastination!! Funny....somewhere along the AF path, not sure exactly when, that changed for me. Maybe it was becuase I kept my "to do" list so close at hand for when drinking thoughts would come along and I would "divert." Maybe it was because actually getting stuff done became more important than focusing on the current and next drink. But anyway...I don't feel like such a procrastinator anymore, and I hope you experience a progression in that direction too! I didn't realize how bad putting off everything really felt until I stopped covering up that bad feeling with booze.

Cinders, I'm so sorry you are going through this awful funk. Please do let us know if there is anything we can do to help you!

Bridgetjones, I put "good attitude" right up there in the powerful department with endorphins! I believe anything in life can be made better if we approach it with a good attitude.

R2C - glad you are feeling better from that cold! Your reading sounds interesting. What stuff are your reading?

nat - I can't believe the Chicago marathon might be cancelled!! One of our dog training friends runs it every year - he will be devastated if that's the case.

WIP - you mention a post you made about beliefs. I don't read much here these days beyond the daily AF and (back now to) abbercise. Can you let me know which thread you posted that on? Mean time, you asked about not drinking v. non-drinker. For me, making that transition (which is still very much a WIP) is ALL about making a lifestyle change - just not leaving a "gap" or "hole" in the days where drinking used to fit. The transition involves not only different interests and activities, but work on changing that stinkin' drinkin' thinkin'. I find SMART Recovery tools and techniques very helpful in that part of the endeavor.

LVT - WOW I'm sure glad your kids and nephew were on the ball and knew what to do so the whole house didn't end up on fire! My heart was beating fast just reading about it - you must have been so scared!

Well, I'm off to get crackin' on the year end accounting! Happy AF-dom everyone!

DG
                              Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                              Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X