Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Saturday January 3

Marking!!

(Thank you for letting me use my marking smilie )

DG

Good morning AF-Landers and happy Saturday/Sunday!! Yesterday was surreal in the sense that it FELT like Monday work wise due to the holiday, but it WAS Friday. Ever so cool. I wish we could have more work days like that!

Since reaching my weight loss goal, I have been thinking a LOT about maintenance of that. Especially with the historic complications of low thyroid and other hormone imbalances, I feel scared - like I'll never be able to maintain this. That is irrational on some level I suppose - I have a very good doctor working with my on the hormone stuff, and I CAN control what I eat - I just have to do it. What is interesting is comparing weight maintenance to abstinence (from alcohol / cigarettes) maintenance. AF and N(ic)F maintenance means quite simply, NEVER drink alcohol and NEVER smoke. Period. But one HAS to eat to live, so in that regard it's more like moderation than abstinence. That makes it feel more "fuzzy and gray" to me I guess. It will be a learning process and I know I can get through it. Just feeling a little apprehensive at the moment.

One thing is for sure. On certain foods that maybe would be OK if EXTREMELY limited - like sugar and grains - I am better off with abstinence than moderation. Sometimes even with artificial sweeteners one little bit gets my craving machine going full tilt. Forget the real thing! Funny how what we learn in one area of our lives has so much carry over into other areas!

Todays agenda is Curves this morning, then I have to go pick up a client computer for Mr. Doggy to work on once he gets back from dog training. I'm just so glad that we've had business picking up again these last couple of days that I am TOTALLY willing to forgo my planned day in my pajamas post Curves. (just being silly)

Well, that's my self absorbed thinking of this morning! Now I am off to catch up on the rest of yesterdays thread and will add more later!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

hi DG - just thinking about the amount of control you're excercising now is mind-blowing! - I'm struggling along with just not drinking, but to deal with smoking, eating, excercising etc as well - I am sooooo impressed!

I must admit if I go on the way I am, I'll have to start watching my weight soon - all the calories from alcohol are now coming out of a bag of sweets! Not a great way to stay healthy, but I'll worry about that when other things have settled down a bit.

Didn't catch all of yesterday's thread, but just want to send big hugs to you Cindi - I know the relief of getting positive results and how difficult and stressful waiting for them is - the mind is an amazingly creative thing, for better and worse, and the scenarios it is able to create in certain situations is amazing, and difficult to control. A huge sigh of relief coming your way!

And OMW - what a good choice! One of my biggest regrets about drinking is the family time lost through the years so it's great to hear you stuck to your goal and had a great time! Way to go!

Many congratulations to all who have made it through another day, to those just starting and to those starting again - I know I have a tough month ahead so trying to keep strong and positive but am already worried about whether my resolve will be strong enough - One day at a time I suppose..

Happy Saturday to all coming later - will catch up again soon I hope!
    :rays: Arial

Last first day - 15th April 2012
    Goals:
    Days 1-7 DONE
    Days 8-14 DONE
    Days 15-21 DONE
    30 days DONE
    60 days
    100 days

Comment

Hi DG, Arial, and everyone... quiet Saturday morning here in the midwestern USA. I feel a great sense of relief because I visited my mother on Thursday, so I don't feel duty-bound to go over there this weekend. I've got a yoga sequence I am going to work on today, and some housework stuff to do (not a lot!), and I'll do a good long session on the treadmill. That plus the usual daily stuff (meditation, taking care of all the beasties who live with me!)...

The big fun thing for today is that I am going to try out the new Cameron stovetop smoker that I bought myself for Christmas! I first read about these things when I was following the Zone Diet, years ago... for some reason I couldn't find one back then (I think they were back-ordered). Anyhow, I really LOVE smoked foods, and finally bought one! I got out a package of frozen skinless chicken thighs, and will give the whole thing a try, late this afternoon.

Arial, I agree, watching DG's program that hits on all areas is impressive and inspiring! DG... yeah, I can certainly see that the whole "moderation" vs. "abstinence" model is always staring you/us in the face when we work on food and exercise, as well as alcohol... I have been VERY fortunate in finding that eating sugar doesn't seem to trigger alcohol cravings for me... but certainly there is that problem in over-consumption, similar to the problem of not stopping when I've had "enough," with alcohol... Clearly there are similar dynamics due to biochemical similarities... I have never been able to totally give up sugar for long periods of time. I'm OK with not eating white flour, or potatoes, or other glycemically "bad" foods.... but I cave in, for sugar, pretty easily. Ate LOTS of chocolate, over Christmas... which I don't feel too bad about, because it was a horrible Christmas this year, and just getting through, sane and sober, was an achievement.

Anyhow... this is way too long a post, and getting very boring... I'll stop there, hoping everyone has a great day!

Comment

Morning abbers!

Got the Christmas tree out to the curb last night. Another first. I always decorated and undecorated with much AL. Good Earth makes a spice tea that is SO good! Funny, now that I think about it, my teas are in the cabinet where the alcohol used to be. :H

DG, I know what you mean. I had my first real coffee in years last week and now I'm drinking caffeine daily - a lot. I went straight for the overindulgence. I'm that way with nicotine. I'm suprised I'm not that way with the xanax. I hardly ever take it now. And not because I'm monitoring it but I don't even think about it. It is deffinately the caffeine because I have such wonderful teas and enjoy them so much but they are all decaf. So I must nip this in the bud.

I have to vacuum pine needles and then move a year of files to the attic at the hole. But I'll be rewarded with going to a movie with GF late this afternoon.

Cold and dreary here, wish I had a crock pot of something going. I saw a recope for a carrot ginger soup... hummmmm.
        sigpic
        Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

WIP! I have one of those! I've been wanting to do a whole fish in it. Did you get the sawdust stuff with it? How do you get more, on-line? Let me know how the thighs turned out. I've done turkey legs and they were great.
          sigpic
          Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Greenie, yes, I got the sawdust stuff! They sent a sampler pack along with the kit I bought, and I saw that on Amazon you can buy more... either from the Cameron people or from some other vendors! Definitely it would/will be GREAT to do a whole fish in it! I'll report back about how the thighs turned out! Also, the Zone Diet guy was very big, as I recall, on smoking vegetables, especially onions, and using them to add flavor without adding a lot of fat... I'm going to give that a whirl, too...

Comment

Happy Saturday morning all! Another great day in AF land for me. I LOVE being sober. Hubby bought wine last nite and it didn't even phase me...I just love the peace I am able to find while sober.

It amazes me how my body/spirit has been trying to tell me for the last couple of years that it can no longer tolerate the effects of alcohol, but I have refused to listen. That stinkin drinkin mindset. No matter how crappy I would feel, I would manage to do it again. Talk about insanity!

DG, you asked about which books I am reading. Mostly I am going back over my alkie books...Rational Recovery, Sober for Good, Dry...but also reading some John Kehoe (Mind Power Guru @ MindPower.com)...he has some great inspirational stuff. Also, Greenie informed us a while back about a website called TUT...and back then I signed up for the daily inspirational emails. I absolutely LOVE them. I recently ordered the 12CD set called "Infinate Possililities" and they are simply profound. It is difficult to find the time to listen to them, but I try to put them on in the mornings while I'm getting ready for work. Anyways...that's a portion of the reading I'm up to :-)

Everyone have a stupendous day, may you all find some peace and happiness (at least contentment) in your daily activities.

R2C
              Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
              :h

Comment

Det...I just saw your post regarding the glass of champagne...and your post regarding your depression. I'm sorry...we all know how that feels. Just be thankfull for all your sobriety and don't allow this to set you back in any way. It so great that you stopped there and didn't allow it to take over. I'm also assuming your still on Antabuse...so good thing no reaction there! So rather than wallow in the down side of this...be thankful for all the good (i.e. not returning to the drink, no reaction from AB...and mostly learning a valuable lesson here).

Your always such an inspiration for us all. Please don't beat yourself up over this. Happy New Year to you and DX...here's to an awesome 2009!!!

R2C
                Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                :h

Comment

Good morning abbers!

We had some more snow fall last night. It was really only a dusting that did stick, but can it go away now?

Nothing planned for this fine Saturday. Nothing much to say here either. I am kind of in a weird headspace trying to figure out my future. I am 36 years old and really need to start making some bigger life changes. I am feeling a bit unsatisfied right now BUT optimistic.

Have a great day!

Comment

Deter: I agree w/r2c. Try to put the 1/2 glass behind you...let go at some point. Maybe there's some sort of grieving process going on.

I couldn't be happier w/my own progress...short though it is. I've been exercising, & of course, abstaining.

Tonight we're having a belated holiday dinner here (belated due to illness). I'm making a light meal & will ask my husb to handle the wine-pouring duties. I feel pretty committed, but I KNOW that I must be on my guard.

I've been thinking about that conversation I had w/the long-time AA member, sober person (16 years). Yes, slips happen, even after a decade or more. My BIL slipped after 3 years & is now drinking as much as ever. I've been saying my affirmation: "I am a non-drinker" every day. I've also been saying that I'm living in "clarity & compassion" every day as well...thank you WIP. I printed up that little story from the tools thread (I think) about happiness residing within. Changing our outsides is not going to make us happy.

I'll check back w/all of you tomorrow.

Love, Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Congrats on the new smoker WIP. I have had one for years and get many requests for salmon for family functions.

Day 3 AF for me.

Cheers.

Comment

Hello everyone!!

Det--hope you shake off the bad feelings from the champagne. Not that big of a deal when you put it in perspective--it didn't trigger a binge. It was weird, I was offered a shot of an appletini--the bartender wanted my opinion. I was speechless for a minute, I didn't know what to do. I did take a tiny sip--it tasted like pure grain alcohol to me! Yuck! I said , I'm not really a hard alcohol person, and really don't drink at all anymore. She doesn't drink--but she finished the shot. It was just weird--I ended up drinking a 1/2 gallon of tea and 3 diet pepsi's and some water new year's eve. Surprised I could sleep at all!:H

Have been feeling just irritable lately. DG--could this be a hormonal issue, or am I destined to be bitchy forever??? I hate it!! Took my son and 4 of his friends to the movies last night, then roller skating, then McDonalds with my older son. Hubby had to stay home because the Directv guys were coming. Anyway, it was probably a little much, but I was a little cranky by the time we got home!

BTW--I let the kids go to see "Bedtime Stories" and I saw "Marley and Me." Anyone else seen that yet? Good movie--so refreshing to watch a movie without the "F" bomb every other word. A real tear-jerker even for me. I thought I would handle it better since I've worked as a vet tech for over 25 years. I felt bad for the young kids there, but I guess it's not any worse than some of the "sad" movies I watched growing up.

Cold and snowy here, hubby has a fire going downstairs. Good day to just hang out I think!:h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Happy Saturday ABerooonies!

thank you all for the loving wishes and thoughts. yes I think it was a form of grieving and soul searching...thankfully no further harm done than being bummed out. If anything my resolve has not been shaken (or stirred LOL). I'm AF. proud and happy to live that way.

Cindi, I'm so very happy for your lab results! bless you dear.

AWIP how cool.... a stovetop smoker? ok this may sound daft but where does the smoke go? it's all sealed inside?

Dx and I are setting up our home gym in our home instead of the freezing cold garage....should make using it a bunch more appealing.

be well friends
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Determinator;509283 wrote: Happy Saturday ABerooonies!

thank you all for the loving wishes and thoughts. yes I think it was a form of grieving and soul searching...thankfully no further harm done than being bummed out. If anything my resolve has not been shaken (or stirred LOL). I'm AF. proud and happy to live that way.

AWIP how cool.... a stovetop smoker? ok this may sound daft but where does the smoke go? it's all sealed inside?
                            Hey Mary! And Mohun!

Det... and LV... you know, during one of my earlier long periods of sobriety, when I was still a regular in my parish, I always had a sip of wine on Sunday mornings. It never seemed like "drinking" to me, and never had any particular effect on me. I'd feel the same way about it now... but for some people, it would be un-thinkable, and dangerous, I suppose. The thing is: you're OK. You didn't consume enough to get any kind of buzz, apparently, and it didn't change your strong commitment to your pathway... I think "anomaly" is a good way to look at it... with perhaps a touch of additional caution when in bars, at big drinking celebrations, etc....

The smoker! It's a metal box with a sliding cover, and a smaller uncovered metal box that sits inside. You put the ground-up sawdust in the box, then set the other box on top, with a grill inside to put the food on... then slide the top over, and it creates (more or less) a pretty good seal (I will try it out today, and file a report, later!)....

Here's a picture:

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                              Its been a long time since I joined all of you , been back to drinking until the day after Christmas,
                              I have a new much stronger commitment.
                              I also am using the mantra "I am a Non drinker" period. end of story.
                              This is day 10 for me, yesterday was my hardest day of craving but I made it and I'm in a good place now.
                              I took my tree down y esterday too and I used to always have a glass of wine in my hand for all those chores but no more. Trying to exercise more too.
                              I'm not anywhere close to where DG is but you are an inspiration.
                              I think what I love the most right now is waking up without shame or guilt, I need to hold onto that.
                              when I used to post you guys are great to I will keep this up. I notice that I am in a much later time zone than A lot so my postings will be much later.

Here's to a New HEALTHY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Working...
                              X