Mod Squad Weekly Thread for January 5, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops..Almost forgot! It's a new week...It's a NEW YEAR!!!
    Let's make it a GREAT ONE!
    ~Kid Shelleen~

There are also a few pertinent posts from this morning still on LAST WEEK'S thread
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

<--I love Mondays! (This morning's post I put on last week's thread)

Good Morning Mod Squad,
    Sitting here relaxing with Lazydog, the laptop and a cuppa coffee, of which I believe I make some of the world's best!
    It's my week to drive the honey-haired-girl and her friend to school. I fed Lazydog, made Cats lunch for her as she works today, and I'm on my second load of laundry. Monday is my favorite day! This is MY time; and after 3 days of "refreshing" (AF) I'm feeling like me at my best!
    You all seem to be doing so well. There are lots of thoughtful, supportive posts. Modding is out of the closet and more vocal than ever. I say, "hooray". A reliable approach to Modding can evolve and improve itself with so much collaboration.
    Sara, your little story about the 3 shots of bourbon behind your husband's back brought back memories of my own sneakiness. Thank God those days are over!
    Among other places, I would hide a bottle of gin down by the washer. I figured it was my reward for doing laundry. We NEVER ran out of clean clothes though!! Or I'd tell my wife I was switching to non-AL beer and then refill the bottles with high test stuff and sit there drinking right in front of her...Gawd..who were we fooling? Who do we really hurt..That's stuff is so OVER.
    DHS: That's a perfect goal: the occasional (or even "rare" drink). We all know too much alcohol is bad for us and that we feel better with some AF time under our belts, but for many of us the thought of a completely AF life is unacceptable for many reasons. We MAY reach a point that we almost never drink but if the situation should arise, we want to know how to behave ourselves, right? That's mature. We don't have to go crazy and spiral down into sloppy drunkenness and destroy our lives because we have a beer at the BBQ..I say to the person with that attitude, "Let's grow up". Enjoy one or two drinks and let it go. And that's what we modders are learning to do, together.
    Sara,
    speaking of SMARTand organizations that encourage self-loathing; my one month total "ban" ended recently and I'm now allowed to "lurk" on the SMART website until my "punishmen"t is over in 2 more months. I went back just to listen in on some of the conversations. For some people things just never change. They go totally AF, then the tension builds, then the inevitable and convenient "trigger" appears; they drink, they binge, they hate themselves, then they go back to step one...(That binge time is dangerous.) It's unfortunate because SMART has some of the most useful tools for modding at their disposal. At the F2F meetings they allow for people to use the tools to "moderate" or control their addictions to the level that they choose. The present, and hopefully temporary,director of SMART online (ironically called S.O.L :H ) doesn't allow ANY talk of moderation; consequently many poor souls are trying to do something they may never be able to do: totally abstain forever and ever and ever...
    Sunbeam:
    You are one of the "poster children" for modding. I wish you continued success. I hope you are feeling accepted on the AF threads but I'm glad you haven't forgotten us. We need to be able to point to you as a modding success (so don't forget to have at least ONE drink per year;I'll even treat!)
    span style="color: blue;">KW: This is going to be a great year for you; I can feel it. How was the "pamper" weekend??
    Eve: Thinking back..Are you "happier" modding than you were AF for 7 years? I would like that perspective from someone beside myself. I only quit for a year but I wasn't "happy"...
    Right now, going on a year of modding, I'm happier; my family is happier. My wife said she KNEW I was a time bomb. AF was not reliable for me. I was one of those that falls off the wagon HARD. She couldn't trust me. She says she loves this modding because I'm predictable. She can trust how much I'm drinking and that I'll be reliable.. How's that for an affirmation?? My ultimate goal,though, is to THINK about it less and less. Somewhere I read how long it takes for new actions to become "habits"; is it 13 weeks or am I thinking of something else? Anyway, I want modding to be completely natural for me. Sometimes I feel "normal", but I'm not quite there yet.
    JAMMS: I've found some of the sleep supps give me a HO of sorts. I figure at least my body got rest so I put up with it. I just can't use them very often.
    Well, I'm going to catch up on the threads a little; finish my coffee; walk the dog and then ease into my day..
    I wish you all inner peace today.
    ~Kid~
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

thanks kid for starting the thread for this week which will be a very important one for all of us im sure. what insiprational and pertinent posts on last weeks thread plus this mornings, great stuff!! thanks for your support one2m means a lot coming from an AFr supporting modders. Kid i am hoping it will be a great year, i feel optimistic and fortunate that so many of us want exactly the same thing and can support each other in getting there. Jamms still laughing at the beer at the bbq comment!! my pamper weekend is this friday and will be just the ticket for blowing away the post christmas blues. Day 1 AF for me as i have had a drink every night since 19th dec when i finished work, not a lot but every night except one i think so not good! have had chilled sparkling water this evening with a dash of fresh lemon juice and am so so enjoying it, my liver is shouting in glee at the holiday i have just given it, what it doesnt know is there are many more holidsys for it to come yet and i feel mentally very strong to achieve my goals. I havent taken any supps to-day as i have to be honest i was taking them for november/most of december and i didnt really feel any difference, that said i havent had a cold and have felt well so perhaps just for health reasons rather than cravings i should get back on them.
      Nice to have dinner out with a nice glass of wine, it is my favourite thing to do so i would definately get the two weeks under your belt, will be a nice treat and you know you can leave it at that now so worth looking forward to it. I love the 'grow up' comment puts it all in perspective for me. Looking forward to day 2 tomorrow, so glad i found the mod squad you all talk my language. very interested in comments about SMART, i did join but very rarely visit for reasons already stated here. Have a good day/evening everyone, xx
      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

ps kid can you bump the pact up again onto this week thread???

Comment

I cross my heart...P.A.C.Ts

Cross my heart,and hope to die; Stick a needle in my eye.."
          * Phrase uttered by children after making a promise to indicate the depth of their sincerity: the speaker is so committed to the action just agreed to that they offer self-inflicted pain and a death wish as proof of their seriousness.
          (Must be accompanied by a gesture of drawing a imaginary "X" across the speaker's own heart, or else it doesn't count.)
          Mod Pacts INVITATIONS:

*JAMMS: Started "the program" (and a 2 week AF/Modder MWO Program Starter thread!)
          ..2 weeks AF until Thursday Jan. 15th(at least) (good luck)
          *Kid: AF Friday, Saturday,Sunday

*KW: Mon,Tues,Wed,Thuday

*Sara,St J, and Sunbeam: 2 weeks AF starting Jan 2

.. (Sara and St J are in the "Program" too)

ANYONE ELSE??
          Feel free to join in
          with any ongoing pact
          (or start a new one)
          Remember
          :you've :h "crossed your heart" :h

ModSquad:

Vera-b,Lila,Sunbeam,Kid,Jamms,Ask for Help,janie
          St John,KeepWalking, DeeBee,Sara,Periwinkle,Eve,
          Vlad,Trixietrack,StartingOver,
          Zed, One2many,(Cyclefan,Zeppie,Gyco,J-vo,WIP, and Tawnyfrog visit)
          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Yet another thread...

In General Discussion Eve started a thread about when people threw in the towel and went from trying to Mod, back to AF. I put up one that asks why we want to Mod in spite of it all. Feel free to post. It could be interesting and therapeutic. Why DO we want to still do something that has the potential to burn us so badly???
            ~Kid~
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey all- Just popping in to say hi. I'm on day 4 of my two week stint AF and doing great. I am visiting with the Abstainers alot and learning tons. Good to catch up with you all.
              Hang tough, modders!
              St. J
              Toughen up!

Comment

Be sure to come back and teach us, oh learned and adventurous one...

I guess they aren't teaching you how to make vintage martinis!
                St. John;511289 wrote: .... I am visiting with the Abstainers alot and learning tons...
                St. J
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

anyone heard from the absent mod squadders, deebee, vera-b, peri, vlad, zed where is everyone?

Comment

Leave them alone, and they'll come home...

...Wagging their tails behind them.
                    ~From "Little Bo Peep"~

DeeBee: posted 12/30
                    Vera_b: posted 12/28
                    Peri: 12/24
                    Vlad: posting today and every day in General Discussions (Army Thread)

Zed: last posted 12/18 (Isn't he with his family??)

~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi all,
                      I feel like I've posted everywhere BUT on our thread today. But the discussions are great, enlightening.

Regarding abs vs. mods, I think that divide will always exist for some. Just the mention of drink makes some of them cringe, and I think it is painful for them. So I try to just be tolerant and respectful. That's not so easy for a few individuals, so there has been DRAMA on the boards. But I think the tone is better since the OTHER KIND OF moderators were put in place. Very confusing terminology.

Take care, all
                      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hello my fellow moderators,

I'm back from 'vacation' and want to say I've missed ya'll. Was out to dinner with the family Sat. night and my 20-something daughter asked if I'd been visiting my "peeps." I responded sadly that no, I hadn't been online in awhile, and she looked dismayed. Well, I have been dismayed as well. I need to get back into the habit of checking in with you, because that's an important part of keeping me on the straight and narrow. Not that it's a prerequisite, but it sure helps. I look forward to our evening messages, and have truly missed this daily routine. So, looking for Vlad, DeeBee, Sun, Lila, Zed, and a few others who need to check in. I'll be back in regular mode checking in the next few days. Hoping to hear the good news from everyone.

Vera-b

Comment

Sun,
                          I don't know what you mean by Other Kind of Moderators. Don't want to create a problem so p.m. if you feel necessary.
                          Vera-b
                          I was getting ready to pm you to see what was up. Welcome back

There's one thing that's always concerned me about modding. Sometimes modders feel successful and quit coming to the board...I know I did back in 07. Without the support I went right back to drinking without thinking and overdoing it here and there. I personally think it's essential to always come here just like AA is essential for a person recovering - they always need to attend and we do too.

Kid and Sara, when you get a chance pls inform me about SMART. Being they want people to be AF how are they different than AA? The fact that they're online maybe? Educate me on that one.

Hello to everyone. I miss our mod squaders who haven't checked in in a while. Keep coming back - it's essential to our recovery.
                          Eve11
                          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi everyone,

Had a very late night and rough morning with school starting and such. I am on day one of a 30 day AF goal. I need it badly and look forward to get back to feeling good. Had a wonderful holiday break but I really did drink way over what any modding plan would be. I am done treating myself this way. I know I have the choice to make good choices for me.

I am glad to have found you and look forward to a sucessful 2009.

dhs

Comment

Eve,
                              There are people called moderators who now read all posts and delete those which could be offensive. Has nothing to do with how much anyone drinks.
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                              X