AF Daily Jan 8th Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd start the Thursday thread for alcohol free day! I do not understand the time zones for this site and it looks like we are in Thursday now, (although in California it's p.m. Wednesday night) Anyway as I am new, found you all maybe 10 days ago, I have been devouring all of your inspirational and heartfelt writings.

In my life I was afraid to get out of bed in the morning paralyzed with fear, when was I going to start drinking, could I at least drink a cup of coffee first? Then I would get up and just start drinking, "Oh well, I was going to do it sooner than later, might as well feel good and get on with the day." Even when the girls were on their way over for the Nia and Pilates class I host. ( I sometimes wondered why, after a hello hug, someone would kind of look at me funny, with a confused look on their face, what is that SMELL?)

This morning when I awoke, did I want a drink? I did not. What did I want? I went right into my art room and logged on to the MWO forum. It was only later in the day when I realized what I did. How glad do you think I am? Thank you all for being here, and GOOD MORNING!

Day 14 starting *************Doggy Girl I only gave myself 13 stars, I will get the 14th later tonight. Thanks for your story, WIP turned me on to it.

Day 4

On day 4 after having gone on a 4 week bender after 10 months AF.

Never felt this crazy the first time round, over here is now Thursday 5pm and I haven't picked up a drink.

Morning was ok but the afternoon I just went insane - it felt like my blood was boiling and my mind had the craziest thoughts and the only way out was a drink.

Friend was meant to come round but she had to cancel. I wasn't annoyed with her but the craving got worse. So I distracted, paced, called people and luckily one answered. Gave me some relief.

Heading out soon to an AA meeting hopefuly that will calm me down.

And just saying to myself "DON'T DRINK"

Only need to get through 5 more hours before bed.

I know my day hasn't been great but I know it will be worse if I drink.

Hope all of you starting the day have a great AF day and keep going strong today!

Comment

Morning all!

Welcome Oceanaocean & ABP. OO, sounds like you're doing great! I was in the gym the other day and someone smelt of booze - I thought it was odd - exercise was the last thing on my mind when I was drinking. Yes, it's great to wake up hangover free, even if it's still dark and cold here!

ABP, I hope you find some peace at your meeting. I drank recently after several months AF and I know how tempting it is to just... keep going. Welcome back to the wagon - hang on tight!

I'm off to work. Have a good day everyone.
      sigpic
      AF since December 22nd 2008
      Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

Mornings everyone.

Ocean. well done for doing so well. This forum is great isn't it?! Gives you all the support you need.

ABP, Sorry to hear you are struggling. Stay strong. Get yourself to the AA meeting asap. I'm sure that'll help alot!! All the best. Hope you feel better.

Hi Marshy. Hope you have a great day!!
        AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

OO, ABP, Marshy and JH, Good Morning all! Seems like this struggle continues, eh? It's good that the benefits out weigh because temptation has been rising lately. This is day 8 for me. OO, I read your story about fearing getting up because of the fear of starting the cycle again. It made me reflect on my own waking today and realize that I DIDN"T THINK OF alc for at least 5-7 minutes after I woke up! It's usually the first or second thought firing across the brain! I know it's not much, but still, it's progress. I hope you guys, and all to follow today, have a great AF day!
          Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Day Over down under

Well made it through without a drink and safely today.

Time to sleep hopefully.

Thanks for support all.:thanks:

Comment

Hey ABP. So glad for you. Very well done. Hope you have a restfull night and another sucesfull day tomorrow!!!

Well done Dill on the 8 days and your general progress. Uphill all the way from hereon I hope!!!!!
              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Good on you ABP; on Day 5 myself. Going 5 days was normally my limit...so the termites will start to set in over the next 72 hours. I will read your post for inspiration....many thanks, it can be done!!!!

Peace
                My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

Keep yourself busy Aidans. You can do it!!! YES WE CAN!!
                  AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I just got up. I'm going for longer & longer stretches wo/a drink. I've had a long AF period & then drank. It's been very hard getting back into the AF life. I'm doing it though, because I know I'll never have any kind of serenity if I don't. That first feeling of calm when I down my first one is ever so fleeting. I know now that I can have sober serenity. I'll be back later. Mary
                    Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                    October 3, 2012

Comment

Morning new friends...you too marshy. The first weeks are hard but well worth the struggle, were all pulling for you.
                      ABP, if you’re ever having a rough piece, get on the just starting out thread forum and start/post an I NEED TO CHAT NOW thread...normally someone will be there to help you.

Woke up with a sore throat and a fever :-(
                      Hoping it will be just a small speed bump, I have too much to accomplish today.

Maybe I will allow myself the second cup of coffee and get my arse out the door.

Be well all. nat
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Mary, we crossed, hope all is well for you!
                        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Hey OMW. Hope that sore throat/fever will dissolve throughout the day.!!!

Hey Mary. Very inspiring. Great you have come to that conclusion. And it's true isn't it. That first drink after a long time feels so good. but that feeling is soon diluted and youare left with emptiness and back in the old place.

Meeting with the boss now. So checking out of here. Check you all tomorrow.
                          AF since 15th March 2010

Comment

Good morning all! I had a major event in my work calendar today, but it got cancelled at the last minute... so, some open time. Working now on figuring out a productive way to fill it... if I just kind of fritter it away ("fritter" was one of my mother's favorite words!), then I won't feel very good...

OO, glad you found (and started) this thread this morning! This thread is a MAJOR part of my own recovery program!

APB... good going, on getting through that period of craving. I have one idea for you that you might want to try out (or not!). I find that telling myself "I don't drink" is more effective than telling myself "Don't drink!" because, in the latter case, I am still in the process of arguing with myself. And those mental arguments have a way of ending up being exhausting, and often that exhaustion leads to drinking. If I say to myself, "I don't drink," then it cuts off further argument (of course I may have to say it repeatedly... ). After saying that, I deliberately shift the focus to something else... and if the cravings continue... repeat the process. As Chief says: Don't get into the ring with the Beast!

Everyone: hope you have a great day! This thread is just fabulous!!!

Comment

Morning everyone!

I have no time to get a proper post in. I am running behind today. Must pack lunches and get showered.

I also have a job interview this afternoon. My employer that laid me off has agreed to give me a reference seeing things will be unstable there for quite a few months. So, great!!!

Anyway, later!

Comment

Working...
                              X