Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year of the OX...

2009 Chinese overview
    The Ox is the second sign of the Chinese zodiac. Like its predecessor and complement, the Rat, it signifies new beginnings. The main difference is the Ox is associated with building to last, and slow but sure action. Even more so than last year we all have to make good choices, as that which is begun now is likely to have long-term consequences.
    As with last year, this is an Earth year. The difference is this one is yin rather than yang. It is thus likely to be less tumultuous. On a personal level, better results are more likely to be achieved by reacting to circumstances and going with the flow rather than aggressively charging forward and initiating a lot of action.
    Unfortunately Earth has a destructive relationship with the Ox's fixed element, Water. In fact this is the fourth in a run of six years governed by an unlucky conflict of elements. This fact should come as no surprise to those who have followed US and world financial markets or the unspeakable horror that has persisted in Iraq.
    The combination of Earth and Ox, however, is not at all a negative combination. Its primary characteristic is durability. It suggests an environment dominated by cautious pragmatism rather than quixotic dreaming. Things will get done.
    Furthermore, they will generally be successful if done in harmony with the spirit of the Earth Ox. This applies both to the type and amount of new projects as well as the approach to accomplishing them. That means focusing on just a few, long-term projects. It also suggests proceeding in a cautious yet determined manner. Finally, it counsels avoiding taking unnecessary risks and yielding to the temptation to seek short-term gains.
    Since this is an Earth year, those people born in a Metal year will generally fare better than others of their animal sign, while those born in a Water one are likely to do worse than those born in Wood, Fire, and Earth years.
    The year 2009 will be a period of lasting accomplishments. This is true for individuals, societies and the human race in general. There may be times when motivation appears to be lacking. In fact the big challenge everyone faces is to generate the enthusiasm and desire to act. Those individuals and organisations that do will create enduring benefits for themselves and the world.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Year of the OX...

I'm a Rat. So is Richard Nixon.

Year of the Rat

Comment

Year of the OX...

I'm a rabbit!

Thanks for the thread Kid. Interesting stuff isn't it? The inscrutable Chinese... they have their own everything.

Comment

Year of the OX...

I am a dragon, as in my ass is dragon today. hahaha
        vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Year of the OX...

I am a rat. Wasn't it the year of the rat in 2008?

Comment

Year of the OX...

Yes, AFM...

Your time in the sun has come to a close. Did you take advantage of it??
            KS

ps: That is VERY funny, Cyclefan!:H
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Year of the OX...

Cyclefan- I'm am LMAO......
              KID how do I figure out what I am?
              :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Year of the OX...

JAMMS

JAMMS,
                Zed had mentioned that it was the Year of the OX in the upcoming Chinese New Year. I looked that up to see what that might mean and posted it. (Apparently everyone here also happens to know their Chinese Zodiac signs.) I don't even know MINE! Perhaps someone will write and tell us, or else one of the links on my "Ox" post might go to the site...
                Have fun!
                KS
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Year of the OX...

OMG.....I'm a Rooster!
                  :teeter:JAMMS

"I'm safe.. up high...no one can touch me...why do I feel this party's over?...."

"no pain..inside...you're my protection...how do I feel this good SOBER?!"

Comment

Year of the OX...

Background and Concept

The Chinese animal signs are a 12-year cycle used for dating the years. They represent a cyclical concept of time, rather than the Western linear concept of time. The Chinese Lunar Calendar is based on the cycles of the moon, and is constructed in a different fashion than the Western solar calendar. In the Chinese calendar, the beginning of the year falls somewhere between late January and early February. The Chinese have adopted the Western calendar since 1911, but the lunar calendar is still used for festive occasions such as the Chinese New Year. Many Chinese calendars will print both the solar dates and the Chinese lunar dates.

Background Information

In the United States, the years are dated from the birth of Jesus Christ, for example, 1977 means 1,977 years after the birth of Christ. This represents a linear perception of time, with time proceeding in a straight line from the past to the present and the future. In traditional China, dating methods were cyclical, cyclical meaning something that is repeated time after time according to a pattern. A popular folk method which reflected this cyclical method of recording years are the Twelve Animal Signs. Every year is assigned an animal name or "sign" according to a repeating cycle: Rat, Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, and Boar. Therefore, every twelve years the same animal name or "sign" would reappear.

A cultural sidelight of the animal signs in Chinese folklore is that horoscopes have developed around the animal signs, much like monthly horoscopes in the West have been developed for the different moon signs, Pisces, Aries, etc. For example, a Chinese horoscope may predict that a person born in the Year of the Horse would be, "cheerful, popular, and loves to compliment others". These horoscopes are amusing, but not regarded seriously by the Chinese people.

The animal signs also serve a useful social function for finding out people?s ages. Instead of asking directly how old a person is, people often ask what is his or her animal sign. This would place that person?s age within a cycle of 12 years, and with a bit of common sense, we can deduce the exact age. More often, though, people ask for animal signs not to compute a person?s exact numerical age, but to simply know who is older among friends and acquaintances.

Legend

According to Chinese legend, the twelve animals quarreled one day as to who was to head the cycle of years. The gods were asked to decide and they held a contest: whoever was to reach the opposite bank of the river would be first, and the rest of the animals would receive their years according to their finish.

All the twelve animals gathered at the river bank and jumped in. Unknown to the ox, the rat had jumped upon his back. As the ox was about to jump ashore, the rat jumped off the ox's back, and won the race. The pig, who was very lazy, ended up last. That is why the rat is the first year of the animal cycle, the ox second, and the pig last.

Zodiac Chart:[/b]

The rotating cycle of twelve animal signs was a folk method for naming the years in traditional China. The animal signs for one another in an established order, and are repeated every twelve years. 1976 was the Year of the Dragon, and 1977 was the year of the Snake.

Find your Chinese Sign:
                    Rat 1900 1912 1924 1936 1948 1960 1972 1984 1996
                    Ox 1901 1913 1925 1937 1949 1961 1973 1985 1997
                    Tiger 1902 1914 1926 1938 1950 1962 1974 1986 1998
                    Rabbit 1903 1915 1927 1939 1951 1963 1975 1987 1999
                    Dragon 1904 1916 1928 1940 1952 1964 1976 1988 2000
                    Snake 1905 1917 1929 1941 1953 1965 1977 1989 2001
                    Horse 1906 1918 1930 1942 1954 1966 1978 1990 2002
                    Sheep 1907 1919 1931 1943 1955 1967 1979 1991 2003
                    Monkey 1908 1920 1932 1944 1956 1968 1980 1992 2004
                    Rooster 1909 1921 1933 1945 1957 1969 1981 1993 2005
                    Dog 1910 1922 1934 1946 1958 1970 1982 1994 2006
                    Pig 1911 1923 1935 1947 1959 1971 1983 1995 2007

Comment

Year of the OX...

Zed! Love you!

Comment

Year of the OX...

Kid Shelleen;513979 wrote: JAMMS,
                        Zed had mentioned that it was the Year of the OX in the upcoming Chinese New Year. I looked that up to see what that might mean and posted it. (Apparently everyone here also happens to know their Chinese Zodiac signs.) I don't even know MINE! Perhaps someone will write and tell us, or else one of the links on my "Ox" post might go to the site...
                        Have fun!
                        KS
                        Here you go Kid. It was hard to find, you had to Dig, Dig, Dig, (or else use your magic Dragon powers) :H

Your Chinese astrology sign: iVillage
                        vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Year of the OX...

Hey Lila! Love you too dear. zwink:

Comment

Year of the OX...

How have you been?

Comment

Year of the OX...

Absolutely brilliant!

Comment