Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been eating more....sweets?

Good Morning

On day 8!!! and feel great (no rhyme intended). I have been off the juice through the first week and while I have gone 5 days with no AL for years (as weekend binging was my thing) going through the weekend was different. I watched football (American) without beer for the first time I can remember...twice! I saw the sunset, knowing I could sleep in the next day (a trap for me to allow a drink or twenty), and sat there...eating candy? Yes, candy. I never ate candy when sober (my wife tells me I would raid the cubbords on a night when drinking in the past-I of course don't remember that but I trust her). Is this just my problem? Does anyone else in their first week find themselves eating more....everything? It is like I have this fire in my stomach and it needs sweets. Is this normal? Is there some chemical withdrawl with Abstinence that makes you crave sweets/food? If so, then how come my pants don't feel as tight?

Confused, but happy nonetheless.
    My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

aidainspop,
    I wrote a post about the whole sugar/candy thing on the daily thread. I aslo was not a big candy person, but since I quit I have been out of control. I have one huge box of nerds and tons of blow pops throughout the day! Rediculous, but I'm telling myself it's ok for now since it's better than al.
    The responses from others on the daily page stated that al is chemically a type of sugar, so our cravings come from the void of the alc. Crazy stuff!

Comment

Hmmm... when I had a craving for AL, I'd buy a big bag of Haribo Tangfastics and eat them all in one go... 'Aaaaaaaaaah, that's hits the spot....'
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Stargirl; thank you so much! I have been stealing my son's halloween candy and am convinced I am just a destined to be a shit head. If not drinking I am stealing!!! Good to know we can go and replace his stock today and get some "sugar" for me too. Nerds...when was the last time I had Nerds? 1980? I love it, a retro-rehab! Thanks for the peace of mind and the data regarding sugar/alcohol...makes sense, only sorry I didn't read it before this thread.

Vlad; what is a "Haribo Tangfastic"? Can we get them in the US? Is tangy, sweet, sour or all three?

Peace
        My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

I always have gourmet jelly beans by my side...DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT THEM.
          sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Evie; did you have them by your side when you were drinking? Or is this something that comes with AB

Comment

Just See My Avatar.LOL
              "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

aidanspappa;516649 wrote:
                Vlad; what is a "Haribo Tangfastic"? Can we get them in the US? Is tangy, sweet, sour or all three?
                Yep, all three!

It would appear you can get Haribo in the US - HARIBO

But I don't see Tangfastics anywhere.
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

aidanspappa;516655 wrote: Evie; did you have them by your side when you were drinking? Or is this something that comes with AB
                  I only wanted AL by my side when I was drinking...LOL
                  now I use strong tasting jelly beans to curve cravings and get a sugar rush...it also is a great way to make a AF drink. coconut and pinapple...pina colata..LOL
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Good stuff...thanks all.

Comment

aidanspa, I too was curious about these haribo tangfastics Vlad spoke of Check em out

The HARIBO Info-Site

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Hi all. Your body processes alcohol just like it processes guess what....SUGAR. The MWO book talks about this too IIRC.

The bottom line for all of us is that we do what it takes to not drink. For me however, eating sugar prolonged my agony. My body wanted sugar as a very close replacement for alcohol - keeping me a whole lot closer to the beast. I do much better on many levels without ANY sugar and also without other high carb foods that our bodies also treat like sugar - pasta, bread, etc.

I know that sound extreme, but for me anyway, the whole cravings game got much easier to play when I got ALL of that stuff out of my system.

Believe me - I eat lots and I eat well! Just not sugar and starch.

Just some food for thought / more research.

DG
                        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Oh yes, the cravings for sweets is normal after eliminating Al and very intense at the beginning. It does get better but I try to stay away from all sweets because eating sweets for me leads to a craving for more.

Many who have been drinking for a long time, i.e., abusing alcohol are hypoglycemic. One of the symptoms of hypoglycemia is increased craving for sweets. Other symptoms include irritability, fatigue, nervousness, etc. Increased sugar intake only makes it worse.

Opening a capsule of L-glutamine and sprinkling it under your tongue is quite effective in curbing cravings.
                          AF Since April 20, 2008
                          4 Years!!!
                          :lilheart:

Comment

Working...
                          X