Golden Nut Slice - Tastes like Cadbury Picnic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stir sugar and golden syrup in a small saucepan over a low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.

Place rice bubbles and crushed peanutes into a large bowl, mix well. Stir in syrup mixture. Mix until all rice bubbles are coated. Press into line pan.

Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir until melted. Spread a layer of chocolate over the rice bubble mixture.

Cover in plastic and refridgerate for 1 hour or until set. Cut into slices or bars.

All right my friends from across the pond..... I have not had any cadbury i did not like. Tell me what caster sugar is?? Is it vanilla sugar?
    Ez, this sounds yummo
    Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

I am pretty sure that caster sugar is just caster sugar - I don't know what it would be called anywhere else. It is like a finer version of normal sugar that is used in baking. Hope you find it because it is lovely.

Comment

fine grain sugar, got it!! thanks, n
        Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

I better not makes this...I'd eat the whole freaking pan and lay there groaning.

hmmm....or should I....
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

This does sound yummy and just as important something my up and coming young baker would love to make all by himself.

So, I get the fine sugar thing but what is golden syrup? We have Caro Syrup in the US, which is corn syrup. It comes in light and dark. Otherwise, I can only thing of pancake syrup. Do you think pure Maple Syrup might do if we don't have golden syrup?

Thanks!!
            Cindi

ps, for those who have plenty of regular sugar and don't want to purchase yet another bag of sugar, you can make it fine by blending it in the blender.
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I just had a look on the internet and you don't have any version of golden syrup in the US. I don't know what you could substitute with - golden syrup is very sweet, like a treacle. I have no idea what corn syrup taste like but the taste of golden syrup is very unique. Maybe it would be ok because the taste of the peanut butter is stronger.

I move from Ireland to Australia 10 years ago and find that most of the cooking products are the same. The only thing I really miss is the taste of chocolate.

Comment

Ezzmae,

:H:H Okay, having never tasted treacle, the plot thickens.

Now I am on a mission to find something similar.

Thank you, this is going to be fun.

Cindi
                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Aaah. Wikipedia helps a bit here.

Golden syrup is a thick, amber-colored form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for people who do not eat honey. It can also be used as a substitute for corn syrup.

Molasses or treacle has a richer colour than golden syrup, and a stronger, slightly bitter flavour.
                  Now, molasses would be way too strong, methinks. I am thinking honey? I don't really care for corn syrup. Or perhaps I could make a syrup from light brown sugar, which is just sugar and molasses mixed. Hmmmm.

Or, perhaps maple syrup, which is so delicately sweet, it would add a good flavor and not be too strong.
                  AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Thanks ezzmae
                    Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                    April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                    wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                    wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                    wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                    wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                    wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                    wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                    http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Working...
                    X