Your thoughts please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your thoughts please?

The other night I was out to dinner with my family and proudly said I had made it a month without drinking. To which a family member responded "so and so quit drinking for a month and fell off the wagon."

I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. And of course I immediately started worrying whether I would fall off too...

Am I being oversensitive or was that a very insensitive remark?

Love,

Doodlebug
    :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Your thoughts please?

Both!! That was insensitive of them too say that, but since we can't control what others say, do or think, we must learn to adjust our reactions to them.

Someone who has never experienced a drinking problem cannot possibly know the pride we feel when we accomplish sobriety. It just doesn't register with them. So I say, keep up the great job, Doodlebug, we love you here at MWO and we KNOW what it means to achieve sobriety.

Don't let someone's lack on sensitivity from their lack of understanding derail your achievements. Be strong and keep posting, you'll be fine.

R2C
    Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
    :h

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Well, as he said it he was guzzling a beer, hmph : )

Comment

Your thoughts please?

tOTALLY INSENSITIVE ! It's what matters to you and how well you are doing . Don't let anyone spoil this for you - easier said than done when you are vulnerable.

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Gee! So supportive. Who said that an older brother? I gave up talkiing to my family about my problem. They just don't get it. They think I just want to drink, that I just don't care. Congrats on your 1 mo. and don't let anyone get you down. Be proud!:goodjob:
          Starting over again
          ray:

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Dear Doodle--
            I am with R2C on this one. It feels good when we get kudos from others, but what matters most is how we feel inside!

Keep up the great work--you've always got support here!! :goodjob:
            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Ms.D: Even members here at MWO who you wouldn't think would slip, do slip. All I can say is that you have to keep your eye on the prize. I have to remember also that I'm doing this for me. I think you're doing very, very well. A month is a great achievement. Mary
              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
              October 3, 2012

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Thanks all, it's so nice to have a place to turn to where people understand!!!! Even if I am being oversensitive : ) I couldn't say anything to him so it's nice just to get it out.

For some reason I am getting a bit overemotional at times lately, I wonder if its part of the process?

Love,

Doodlebug

AF since December 14, 2008 and hangin' in there!

Comment

Your thoughts please?

I would say it's a part of the process. No AL to numb out our feelings. Although for me personally, I'm WAY more emotional while drinking...or perhaps that is I am meaner? All I'm saying is that under the influence of AL all of our emotions go all over the board.

Does that make any sense?

R2C
                  Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                  :h

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Doodle,
                    You have accomplished a great deal by going one month without alcohol!!! The people, sometimes, that try to minimize it are the ones who are jealous of what you have done. Maybe the beer guzzler is not really so happy guzzling beer anymore and would kill to stop but can't. Just a thought. I look forward to getting to know you better, Doodle. In the meantime, keep up the good work. The emotions will even out soon. Krigs
                    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Your thoughts please?

Maybe he does want to stop!!! I will share my "stash" of Kudzu and L-Glutamine with him, hehe!

Although I have read that we should not try to get anyone to stop lest we be seen as killjoys and prohibitionists, lol...

Thanks again,

*hugs* to all

Doodlebug

Comment

Working...
                      X