Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - January 20, 2009

Good day to all in Ab-Land!

After catching up on the rest of yesterdays thread, I think a good topic for today might be a CELEBRATION of several big anniversaries being celebrated this week in Ab-Land. I'm sure I don't know about all of them, so please add more. Each AF day is cause for celebration around here, and those with longer term sobriety are my inspiration!

July!!! Congratulation on 18 months sober this week.

MomOf3 - Congratulations on 9 months sober today!

WIP!! Congratulations on 6 months sober on Thursday! (or is it 7??? hope I got it right!)

I am celebrating 8 months sober on Thursday and am treating myself to unfettered hours of figure skating on-line with US Nationals and Europeans both going on!!!

Who else has anni's this week?

Yesterday's thread was great food for thought for me. ACTION. Decisive action moving us closer to our goals in life. I used to be the biggest procrastinator in the world but that's mainly because I put drinking first. Not so much the procrastinator any more.

Janice - congratulations on Day 2! Just a note on the health front. I had all kinds of problems when I first quit drinking. Alcohol is really bad for us in general - aside from the problems of getting drunk. I think just making a decision for better health is a good reason to quit. You can do it.

Well, the Compulsory Dances have started in Helsinki so I'm gonna go watch!

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

I am simply going to celebrate today. I have no major milestones yet. I'm struggling and feeling kind of down. But I have resolve and I will be AF today! That should improve my mood.

Congrats to all you who have achieved so much.
    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Morning abbers!! I was 7 months last Thursday, can I squeeze that in? I did have my peppermint ice cream. They should have a smiley thing for a group high five! I'm going to throw something out on the general board so I can get some feedback from newbies and long termers.

Mary did you get a chance to look at that website I mentioned yesterday?
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

What does arse mean?

Comment

Hi Everyone:

I've just gotten through 20 consecutive AF days. It feels great. I've never felt better. Janice, I'm sure there are all kinds of side effects to putting a bottle of wine into our bodies on a daily basis. For me:
          -constant racing heart.
          -headaches.
          -dull skin.
          -sleep issues.
          -memory & concentration problems.
          -decreased interest in my life.
          -serious digestive probs.
          -no appetite.

I don't think I could drink a whole bottle now. I think I've lost that capacity, but I know I could work up to it.

All that said: I won't be drinking. My sense of well-being & health is so great that I would spoil not that for the world. I've been meditating & exercising every day, & that's been wonderful.

I've got to go. I'll be back later.

Love, Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Afternoon all !

Congratulations to all you with milestones / anniversaries at the moment. I will be 80 days tomorrow and 3 months on 3rd Feb.

I was talking to a co-worker yesterday (who knows I am trying to quit Al) and she told me that she met with her brother in law yesterday who celebrated his 10 year sobriety anniversary last weekend and she asked him how difficult he found it to stay AF. He apparently said the early weeks and months - even the first year were tough , very tough at times but now he "RARELY EVER THINKS ABOUT ALCOHOL AND CERTAINLY DOESN'T MISS IT IN ANY WAY" This has really motivated me - I know it's just one individual's perspective but it has helped me a lot and hopefully I will feel the same a few months / years down the line.

All you in USA - anyone going to watch the inauguration (? spelling) of President Obama? Can't believe no-one appears to have mentioned the new presidency - I am certainly going to try and watch as much as I can this afternoon here, and I live in UK.

Just taken my 3 year old swimming - it's my daughter's swimming lesson after school so back to the same pool later on!!

Will check back later - have a good day everyone

Comment

Morning everyone
              Congratulations to all who are acheiving their goals/milestones whether it be day one or day 100!!!
              We are all in the same boat, and all have different methods to say sober....goes to show it can be done.
              This weight I carry is mine to own. I wake up each morning and know I have a choice. I am in control. November of '07 sounds like such a long time ago, sometimes it feels like yesterday.
              Mary, when I had my "blip" I too thought my tolerence would be low....it wasn't. I could, and did, throw them back just as fast as I did before quitting. This surprised me.....It only took a couple of days before I was back to the same old crap......waking up feeling like shit, bloodshot eyes, dehydrated. I felt my brain shift right back into that haze and my work and home life were once again affected. Lesson learned.......
              Off track, today we celebrate......everyone have a great day!!!!
              sobriety date 11-04-07

Comment

Sausage: I'll be glued to the TV later. I'm sure that most schools will have TV's on at noon today to see the swearing in & inauguration speech. Looking forward to it. Mary
                Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                October 3, 2012

Comment

Good Morning everyone,
                  First of all congradulations on all of the milestones! Everyeday is one for me! I have to say I thought it was quite commical that mystickeyes posted the question "what does arse meen?" then you scroll down and you see the avatar on O2M's post directly after. heheh
                  Sausage, I would give anything to go to the inaguration today! It looks like it's going to be pretty amazing.
                  Charlee- Thanks for sharing about the tollerence issue. I was thinking about that the other day. Thinking "If I do drink now, I bet I would be fine with only a drinks because I bet my tollerence is back to a normal persons" Good to know I would just be right back were I was. I have found it amazing how many ways my mind has tried to rationalize drinking again. I think of it as this little dude in my head sitting at a desk just pounding out ways to try to get me to drink again. They never seem to stop. heheh
                  Ok, well i should go now...Happy al free days everyone.

Comment

Morning guys - good to see everyone so early in the morning!

Little down today - my company went through a small round of layoffs yesterday and froze merit increases for 2009. Overall I think we're doing okay and we're just being proactive, but it still has everyone on edge. I am grateful for having a job and am trying to look at it all positively. Guess my theme for today should be acceptance - as I can only control my thoughts and actions, right? Everything thing else will happen regardless of what I do and I need to be able to accept that and continue on with my day. Sitting here in morbid reflection or being paralyzed about the future will get me nowhere...

Anyway, celebrated 19 months last Thursday - had actually forgotten about it! Congrats to all the others who have had anniversaries as well (whether big or small).
                    Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Good Morning, Abbers!
                      Wow.....so much success here....I love it! Huge hugs to all! I just passed my first year AF....I am no longer counting days or months, as I haven't for a while now......from here on out, I will count the years! The re-creation of Kate continues.....sobriety has given me that opportunity!

I get what you are going through AA, my company has has a few lay-offs, but the disturbing thing is that people have been given horrible "Revues", many did not deserve this! ( in the past, this sort of thing would have sent me straight to the bottle! argghhhh!). I think this is a sneaky way to cut jobs! But, I still have mine and I am working hard and documenting my bummm off!

This is an exciting day in the US! I am looking so forward to the change that is upon us!
                      A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

Hello friends,

Congrats to everyone that celebrates another sober day. I had to add up on my fingers--I will have 4 months totally AF the 27th, and 8 months ciggie free Febr 1st!!!!

DG's post brought my dream from last night to my conscience mind. It was one of those drinking dreams people have discussed here--only I was smoking like a chimney too and so mad I was going to have to start counting ALL OVER AGAIN!!!! I thank God it was just a dream.

Hubby got good news from the cardiologist yesterday. He has a really irregular heartbeat--but nothing life threatening, nor treatable. They are going to do and Echo in a couple of months to check on the atrial fibrillation that's going on. He's not convinced he's ok, it would be hard to accept with all that going on in your chest. I just hope he realizes it is time to clean up his lifestyle, and to continue to cut down on his alcohol consumption.

Can't seem to stop thinking about the fatal "accident" this weekend. I can't imagine the heartbreak the 21 year old's parent's are feeling. Also the family of the father of 3 that was killed also. I hope and pray I can get it through my son's heads to never ever drink and drive, nor ride with someone that is!!!!

Ok, gotta go. Busy day ahead. :h
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Good morning all!

At 8:50 this morning, I've arranged to take down our corporate phone system and put up a message that we are "away". That way, the entire company can watch the swearing in at 9am (Pacific Time). By 9:30 we'll get back to our regular jobs. Traditionally inaugural speeches carry some of the most important phrases of a generation. I have to allow my employees to hear it "live".

Day 8 for me and I'm already cutting back on my sleeping pills (zolpidem), and all my pills. Still doing L-Glut for cravings, but off of Kudzu now. I'm going to work on willpower, and a lot of mint tea, and I'm reading a book that says I'm supposed to exercise. Hmm, what's that?

Comment

Good Morning All,

Congratulations to all on all of the wonderful AF milestones! This is the most inspiring thread on MWO!

On tolerance (or lack thereof). It is a myth that our tolerance for Al will decrease once we have some AF free time behind us. Research and anectdotal evidence has shown the opposite. We pick up right where we left off and then some! The way that our brain processes Al is forever altered once we "cross the line."

I live right outside of Wash, DC but will be watching the inauguration on television at a friend's house. I would love to be there but would not want to risk taking my children in the crowds. The excitement is palpable in this area. We have two close friends who will be serving in the Obama administration...very decent, great people.
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!
                            :lilheart:

Comment

Congrats on all of the wonderful milestones here! What inspiration!!

I am feeling better finally. After a few weeks of AF I had that mind blowing slip up 3 days ago and did it ever take it's toll on me emotionally. UGH! I have been reading up on my affirmations and taking long walks every day in the sunshine and it seems to be helping immensely. I cannot believe I let someone insult me and I head right back to the bottle. I think also there was just a lot of frustration going on in my head with the job layoff, Court, and all of the other bullshit I have been carrying around for a while.

I can't wait until my therapist calls me and I can get in. Us people with bi-polar and alcoholism are known to destroy our lives with irrational thinking. I am tired of destroying mine. I also wish that I had been diagnosed a long time ago and wasn't 36 and constantly trying to ruin my life. Living with an addiction and mental health issues can be too much. Although I do know that I can manage my depression if I DON'T drink!!! DUH!

Anyway, I am just going to keep on going here. I have been really angry about how my life has turned out thus far and I know it can get better - I just have to commit 100% to sobriety no matter what happens. I am tired of giving up my power to people who think I am a piece of shit.

Anyway, that is my rant. One day of drinking out of 6 weeks is not going to deter me. I think it has made me stronger and more resolved now. It just has to!

Have a great day everyone!

I am also so excited for the US and for Obama. May the Lord keep him and his family safe and let him start changing things down there!!

Comment

Working...
                              X