AF Daily - Wednesday 21st January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, take a look at this!! Me starting us off today!!! Just when did I last do that? Another great night's sleep and I'm up at 5.30 as hubby is going away - and I'm up with a spring in my step!! It always amazes me that it takes me so long to get my act together and pull an AF day out of the bag, yet when I do, it doesn't take long to see a difference which is so motivating.

Well yesterday was quite amazing wasn't it? Watched it all on tv over here in England and know I witnessed something - or someone - rather special.

God Bless America and all you great people here at MWO.

love Janicexxx
    Day 4
    AF since 9 May 2012
    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Janice, the spring in your step is downright contagious! It's 4:30AM here and I'm rarin' to go. And you're absolutely right -- the difference in starting the day AF is amazing. Here's to an endless string of them!
    ~K.

Comment

Here to awaking AF and loving it. It will continue. Yesterday was the start of a new administration here in the USA which has given me tons of hope. Best wishes to everyone.

Comment

good morning all,dont have a spring in my step or i might fall down,glad all is well,and yes being your neighbor in the north,i hope your president doesnt bring in to many drastic changes,it seems when they do,it effects everything,but i did notice they spent a wooping 200 mil for the ocassion,doesnt that seem like a waste of money,gyco

Comment

just a thought

Comment

Good morning! I won't spoil a perfectly good AF thread with my view of the current politics. (you can thank me later!)

With that, I will just say it will be an AF one here!

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Morning everyone

Great start to the day Janice - you're enthusiasm is infectious - glad you're feeling better and congrats on the AF days.

It's a bright (cold) sunny day here. Watched the inauguration yesterday and really enjoyed it. In the evening decided to go out swimming - just couldn't park in the car park at the leisure centre - it was absolutely packed (and you can't park in neighbouring streets either!) circled round and round with others for about 10 mins, then gave up. Came home REALLY FED UP but resisted the temptation to drink (in the past would have downed a bottle of wine) - had a cup of tea and watched a TV documentary about Barack Obama's life instead!

Have a great AF day everyone.

Comment

I came to this thread for inspiration to remain AF. So, I'll focus on the thought originally mentioned about how wonderful it feels to have a good night's sleep and to wake up hangover free. I did that this morning and just lay in my bed for a full 10 minutes thinking about what a great feeling it is! I am also trying the affirmations approach suggested by many here. I could use some suggestions. So far my number one go to is: "I don't drink." It worked for me yesterday. And for THAT, I am grateful.

Have a great day, everyone!
                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Hi Everyone: I'm also feeling great today. It always amazes me that I feel so great AF but in the past have lapsed anyway. That won't be happening now. I too have been doing affirmations. When I take the dog for a walk, I often say them to myself while I'm walking.
                  -I am a non-drinker.
                  -I abstain from alcohol.
                  -I won't be drinking today.
                  Anything that will reinforce the idea in my brain. I hope I'm retraining my thinking. I think I am.

I think that one of the reasons I've fallen off in the past is that I tend to think the pink cloud of abs that I get on in the beginning will last forever. When worries, conflicts, issues, etc. crowd in, I feel that I can get my serenity back w/a drink. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Yes, the worries, issues, & conflicts are blotted out temporarily, but they return multiplied w/the shame & guilt of drinking. And as we mentioned yesterday, I know that I would be back to my former levels of drinking almost immediately. So, I do have a somewhat complicated life...who doesn't? I must keep my wits about me & clear things up as they arise. No escapes!

I'll check back later.

Love, Mary
                  Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                  October 3, 2012

Comment

Mary, I believe we CAN retrain our brains, even our older brains. There's lots of research to support that. Thanks for some additional phrases I can try. I will use them all! Here's a funny question: Do you think the number of syllables in an affirmation affects the power of the affirmation? None of yours were beyond 7 syllables. The first one, with 6 syllables felt comfortable to me.

Maybe that's a silly question. Maybe not. Music and rhythm are important learning tools, as you probably know!
                    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Yep waking up well rested is great motivation to remain sober!! I got up, sent a horde of kids on their way and scanned the house. The house is clean, laundry done and dinner is made. Children were clean, fed and happy with completed home work when they left. Doesn't get any better than that!!

I have one chore to finish and off to work :-) whoowoooo

Health and happiness to you all!!

Nat
                      Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Good Morning All,

I'm happy to hear that everyone is feeling good about being sober.

Mary brought up an interesting thought that we might want to discuss here. What do you do when the pink cloud or the "newness" of being AF wears off? I know that I really struggled with this after the first month of two of being AF. It felt like I was "white knuckling it" for awhile. It was only when I started to build a new way of living my life and being in the world that I felt renewed. As we have discussed before on this thread, there comes a point where it's not enough to be AF. Changes in how we live our lives is also important.

Today I am feeling very sad. A dear friend of mine underwent surgery yesterday to remove a cancerous tumor in her lung. They found that it had spread to other areas so they did not proceed with the removal of her lung. She is now going to go through a course of chemo and radiation. It is not the outcome we were praying for.
                        AF Since April 20, 2008
                        4 Years!!!
                        :lilheart:

Comment

Good morning abbers,
                          Well I too am feeling very good this morning. I had been waiting for Jan.20th 2009 for a loooooong time. It's a great feeling to have someone you respect and believe in as President.
                          Mary and Momof3, I think you have both made great points about overcoming the innitial "high" of sobriety. The last few days I have kinda been thinking "I'm sober...now what" I'm now used to waking up without a battle after a wonderful nights sleep. I believe my mistake is not making changes in my day to day life. It's just the same as when I was drinking, only I'm not drinking. Too much sitting around. It's like when people re-new their wedding vows you put the "spark" back in their marrige. I need to re-new my sobriety vows. hehehe
                          Well I wish you all wonderful days, al-free of course

Comment

Sorry to hear about your friend, momof3. Cancer sucks!
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Morning all!! Happy Hump Day!!

Momof3...so sorry to hear about your friend. Life is never as we planned. I hope she finds some peace and you as well.

Dill, here is something I have heard about affirmations and the effects on the sub-conscious (which is the part of the brain we want to agree with our conscious effort to remain AF). It has been suggested NOT to use the words "drink alcohol" anywhere in your affirmation. It seems the brain has a way of jumbling up the phrase and picking out the words "drink alcohol", even if your affirmation is "I will NOT drink alcohol". Does that make sense? I have studied quite a bit on the sub-conscious and hypnosis, and that has been a common thought. I like to use positive affirmations, such as "I am a happy, healthy, sober person". Or "I love being sober" or "I abstain from alcohol".

Anything to "trick" the mind. Anyways, that is my 2 cents worth!

Have a great day everyone...may you all achieve your goals whatever they may be!!

R2C
                              Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                              :h

Comment

Working...
                              X