Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glass Castle

by Jeannette Walls

When I first got sober I read a lot of self-help books. This is an entertaining book about a family whose father is an alcoholic and the mother is kinda out there. I listened to it, and the narrator made it so real. These kids basically raise themselves, the father stoops so low as to steal their hard earned money to buy booze.
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

The Glass Castle

I read this a while ago, loved it and posted it on to a friend, who has passed it on to her friend - we all have Mom issues! Well worth a read or listen.
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

The Glass Castle

I loved Mother's Ruin - well, maybe "loved" is the wrong word......maybe I should say it really "touched" me, hit home....... a bit too close to home if you know what I mean. A book that will always remain on my bookshelf.

Janicexxx
      AF since 9 May 2012
      Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

The Glass Castle

I read The Glass Castle, a while back. It was a good read, facinating, yet very sad. It showed how, alcohol and unhealthy relationships destroy lives. It is truly amazing that through all that the author lived through, she was able to make a success of her own life.

Oney, I am going to check out "Mothers Ruin"......sounds like quite a read!!
        A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

The Glass Castle

Thanks, One 2. I'm going to see if I can get Mother's Ruin on Audible!
          The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

The Glass Castle

LVT, your book sounds like my stepson's situation at his mom's. He is a senior in HS and working PT at McDonald's...and is the only one in the family bringing in a paycheck. Mom and stepdad are unemployed, and for no reason, other than the fact that they are deadbeats. Last week she wanted him to buy groceries/staples (laundry soap, dog food) for the whole family out of his paycheck. I can't wait till he is done with school and can get the hell out of there.

Comment

The Glass Castle

OMG! CS...that is horrible!! Is there any way that he could come and live with you and your husband? Surely the courts would have no problem changing custody arrangements under such circumstances. Gosh! This story makes me want to cry!
              A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes~Cinderella

AF 12/6/2007

Comment

The Glass Castle

In the middle of reading The Glass Castle - great book, can't put it down!

Janicexxx
                AF since 9 May 2012
                Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

The Glass Castle

I read this one too. Great book.

Comment

The Glass Castle

i just bought it today and going to start tnight, cant wait!

Comment

Working...
                    X