AA or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AA or what?

I hate the thought of AA and all the "I am not worthy" stuff. makes me feel like crap.
    have been to a few Celebrate Recovery meetings--they have them all over, check the website for them. they are much less invasive if you know what I mean.

I need to get back to som one-one-one or group therapy llike AA or Celebrate Recovery. Love you all and it helps so much more than i thought but do you think I need that personal face to face connection?

AA or what?

I totally understand.... I can't stomach the thought of AA, either. I don't know anything about Celebrate Recovery... but I'm so not into the religious aspects, so that probably wouldn't work for me either.

I don't think anyone but you can answer if you need the one-on-one or group contact - to be honest, I've never had counseling in my life... so I really haven't got a clue. But... do WHATEVER it takes!
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

AA or what?

i would say go for everything and anthing to help you on your way ..
      to get where you want to be in life .. not every AA meeting are the same.. if you dont like one go to another .. until you find one you like .. for me i like the small group meeting and i dont follow all the steps the way they say .. but i do love going and hearing other share .. it all helps
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

AA or what?

I think whatever you think is right for you.

For me, I am looking forward to my group meetings coming up in February actually. It is a counseling group; as I have already done the one on one with a shrink. He thinks I need to branch out a bit... I think he is right!

I also got a complimentary pass for a year from my shrink with the local recreation centre, as he believes, that I need to get out amongst people in the real world (other than work) and work on becoming physically healthier. Kind of neat!

I love the boards here; I love reading others posts, etc.. But I think after being isolated for so long due to alcoholism; it is time for me to have that interaction with others who share the same problems....

Comment

AA or what?

Hmmm... I was on a forum the same format as this one, but for gardening. I think we each had an email, or chat. There must be a service for recovery where you can talk one-on-one to people about recovery and so on. I would be down with that, let me do some research.

Comment

AA or what?

alcohol recovery programs on Yahoo

Hey upNorth,

I found this:

Groups Discussing alcohol recovery programs | Yahoo! Groups

It's a very large listing of groups, both moderated and unmoderated, on yahoo groups. I had to scroll far down to find non-aa but there are some interesting things in there and if I remember correctly, here you can email people individually at which point if you want to chat or whatever that would be possible.

Let us know if this is at all worthwhile, or even just start your OWN yahoo group. I don't know if the moderators here would let you post it-- it might seem like proseletysing, but it might be perfectly allowable in the interest of healing.

Let us know what you find.

Comment

AA or what?

Sorry, I just now realized you said face-to-face. I thought you said one-on-one. I did some quick searches but seems you've found a pretty good thing. I found two meeting places in my town (a small one) alone, I may check it out though the thought of face-to-face is terrifying, to me! Why I'm here.

I agree about the alcoholics anonymous thing, all that I'm a loser stuff. My Dad was a preacher and I can't tell you how many people he had in those things, and they never seemed to help, not to mention AA doesn't release statistics on their recovery success and research shows it may not be what it's cracked up to be; I think the guilt engendered by those things is damaging-- but that's just me-- a lot of those aa yahoo sites seemed pretty excited about it.

Not knowing anything about your situation, you have asked if that would be beneficial-- you've done it before, maybe enter into it with the sense of healing and learning (and healing others) rather than the iron need to quit at this time-- maybe make friends there first, I'm out on a limb now, just guessing.

Comment

AA or what?

For me - the philosophy of AA's 12-steps are nothing short of AWESOME! I am fortunate to have never encountered any of the doom and gloom some of you appear to have had with regard to the "I am not worthy" stuff. Fully aware that AA certainly ain't for everyone! I go sporadically to meetings - there is nothing like a "live show" - and ALWAYS feel empowered after attending.

I love MWO as well - HUGE encouragement and support.

For me, it is about going to ANY LENGTHS to stay away from the first drink...more often than not that includes going for a power walk, loud music, MWO, ringing AA friends, eating something delicious etc etc.

All very best in your recovery journey!!
                *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

AA or what?

When I first started going to AA 21/2 years ago I thought it was just about going to meetings, and after a while I did think it was full of doom and gloom. As a result I went out and drank again. That continued for 2 years and 3 expensive stints in rehab (no medical insurance over here for most people!). My 4th trip to a 3rd rehab and the therapists were still saying "12 steps".

After ?16k and trying everything else I've had to go back cap-in-hand.........got myself a sponsor and am now working the programme. Yes, it can be heavy but I know I have to buckle down if I'm going to beat this thing and it's not going to be a bed of roses - if it were so many people wouldn't suffer so much.

Just my 2p.

Comment

AA or what?

Thanks for the info, beloved...I will check it out.

I know AA works for millions, so maybe I just hit the wrong group and should try another one. I will definitely go back to Celebrate Recovery and perhaps try AA again. Like you said, it works for some and to try ANYTHING to stop drinking.

Wish my shrink would give me a pass to the rec center! I am keeping busy, though, with classes and volunteer work.

Comment

AA or what?

Have you looked into Jean Fitzpatrick's (woman for sobriety) groups ?? They are nation wide.
                      I went to there meetings years ago, during my 17 yrs. AF.
                      It is a woman's empowerment group. You begin by saying your name...followed by..I have a disease, that once had me.I love their booklets and their teachings...You can find them on the web...I'm sure.
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

AA or what?

Upnorthgirl, I resisted AA for at least 2 years. Now I don't know what I would do without them. I am very fortunate to have found an all womens group once a week. They are a very positive uplifting group. I also attented a mixed meeting with other folks in the medical profession and the mood was kind of depressing. Thats my limited experience with AA, I guess I just got very lucky. Keep trying, I think face to face communication is so important. And I am the first person to say I was a hermit.

Comment

AA or what?

I am reading a book called 'Sober for Good' which talks about all different ways people with drinking problems recovered and stayed sober both with aa and without. some mix and matched. It gives a really good perspective. Some people did it alone (although they tended not to have really severe problems) some did it with aa, some with SMART recovery, some with Rational Recovery, some with Women for Sobriety, and so on.

I agree with what other people say - whatever it takes. sometimes i find aa a bit alienating, but at the end of the day, everybody is there for the same reason, and you really just have to take what you need from it. i find most meetings i hear something valuable. and if it helps me not drink that day, it is probably worth the effort of going.

bless everybody trying to beat this thing!
                          no time like the present

Comment

AA or what?

thanks, everyone

Thanks for the good advice and suggestions. I will get the books, research the groups, and do what it takes. I rather like the idea of a kinder, gentler women's group and just found out there is one on Saturday mornings just a few miles down the road. Think I will give it a try! :thanks:

Comment

Working...
                            X