Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AF Daily - Monday Janaury 26

Marking!!

Good morning and Happy Monday to all in Ab-Land! Such a great hangover free place this Ab-Land. And even with it's not so great, it's still hangover free which beats the alternative by a long country mile.

Among the celebrations yesterday I did not get a chance to congratulate Hulagirl. CONGRATULATIONS ON 30 DAYS SOBER HULA!!! :yougo::yougo::yougo:

Figure skating is over now - wow - two great events with lots of surprises. Sausage and Janice and Marshy and others in UK - did you know that the Kerr's (brother/sister dance team) won their first medal at the European Championships? They won bronze. I love that team and they had lots of support from many different countries. (even though ice dance is a little "ewwww" at times when it's a brother/sister!) Last year, John Kerr wore a kilt in their original dance which of course will cause me to remember him forever.

Mom3 I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. She is lucky to have you! I too have a friend who is my age and is very sick. The main stream doctors have no idea what's wrong with her. She was my college room mate for 2 years way back when and we've stayed in touch through all these years. (some years more than others) She is losing weight at an alarming pace and is barely over 100 pounds when her "fighting weight" (which she stayed at through good healthy living including regular swimming for exercise) is about 130 or so. I haven't seen her but she must look like a scare crow. She quit smoking when we were in college and never looked back on that dangerous habit and she has never been a big drinker and doesn't drink at all in recent years (husband is a non-drinker). It feels very strange to have friends get so sick who have led such healthy lifestyles over the years when I have not.....you know.... Anyway, I'm taking a moment to send a vibe out to everyone here who has a suffering friend or family member.

The topic of "what now?" when we reach a certain point in our sobriety where the novelty of just being sober wears off is a good one. With drinking, that time for me came around 90 - 100 days. The MWO community really came through for me at that time. Lots of posters post good stuff and it's impossible to name them all. I guess sometimes particular posts stick in my head as they contain the "right message at the right time." I was already exercising then - had been since my sober date of May 22. But posts from Caysea and others around that 100 day mark REALLY showed me that this is about a life style change and NOT just about not drinking. Even though I'm still doing a lot of the same things, I started looking at those things in a new way around that time. Exercise isn't just something I do because it helps me to not drink and it helps me to lose weight. Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle that will be a vital part of the rest of my life. Looking at it that way makes in more permanent and really pushes AL and Nick even farther out of my life - they just don't fit at all into the healthy lifestyle I am building for myself. Anyway, that's just one example that comes to mind.

On the other hand I am struggling a bit with the same issue relative to my weight loss. I reached my goal weight range in early December and I haven't wavered (gained over the top of my range) since then. I will give myself a pat on the back for that! However there is a bit of that "what now?" feeling that comes with reaching the goal. So I am working at the same sorts of things - just in a different area of life. I really have to get firm in my view of food as nutritious fuel for my body. I need to make a mental transition that will be important to my long term success keeping at a healthy weight. At any rate, I guess I mention this just so we are all reminded that the stuff we go through with AL will help us with our understanding in other areas of life as well.

Well, it's time for me to tiff up a bit and get ready to go to leads group meeting. Mr. Doggy is going with me as it's my turn to be the featured speaker. Makes *my* job easy when he comes along! We simply take questions from the group and everyone gets a little free computer advice. Then I have yoga after leads group - I'm hoping the teacher shows up this week! Don't know what happened to her last week - I hope she's OK. For now Monday is a "double workout day" so I will hit Curves later this afternoon. It feels like I'm coming off of a vacation even though I'm not!

Well, have a rockin' AF day everyone!

DG

PS - I almost forgot!! Today is 23 months nicotine free for me. Boy am I glad THAT monkey is off my back!
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Morning all, and congrats doggygirl on the 23 months! It just occurred to me when you think of "now what?", that's the time to pick an area in your life that you'd like to improve. I'm at 7 months now and my marriage is in the toilet. Oddly enough my husband doesn't think anything is wrong at all! So I'm going to work on that. I've been hanging onto resentment for years now, so this is my project. I've got the book "The Love Dare" and today is day one. For others, it can be making the step to reach out to old friends, write handwritten letters, we all have areas we can improve upon and it's not going to happen without some help. So when we think now what, how about we post a goal? I've been watching 28 days whenever it's on cable, and I like how at the end she says she's trying to make her outside match her inside. Let's make ourselves fricking amazing!!!
    Happy Day to All!
    You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

Good Morning,

Thanks for all of your well wishes regarding my friend who is in the hospital. She is having more testing today to determine the possible cause of the stroke so should have more info today. Yesterday she was having seizures as a result of the stroke but is now on medication for them. I spent most of the day with her.

On another front, I wrote last week of my friend who has lung cancer. I spoke with her last night and she is going to the doctor's today go get information on next steps, re: radiation, chemo protocols.

My heart is heavy but otherwise doing ok. To have two dear friends who are fighting for their lives puts everything in perspective.

Enjoy each moment of your day.
      AF Since April 20, 2008
      4 Years!!!
      :lilheart:

Comment

Good morning, all. Mo3 I have been thinking of you. Very, very difficult stuff. It can send us in one direction or the other... and I have gone each of these days, at different times. Sometimes I give in to the impulse to drink my way through it. And that leads to despair, or maybe it is accompanied by despair. It's very hard to sit still with the frustration, anger, grief, and let them follow their natural courses, without adding alcohol to the mix... I am going through all this with my mother, and have been for a long time. Be strong! Reach out to others! And, yes, let it reveal a sense of perspective...

River, I am sorry things are so uncomfortable in your marriage. That, too, is unbelievably difficult.

Hi DG!

I am still on the road but will get home this morning. Had a fairly lousy meal last night at Applebee's and felt somewhat sick-ish when I got back to the room... but better, this morning. And I have a mild dose of poison ivy on the back of my right hand and wrist, fortunately it is very mild because I have had MONSTER episodes of poison ivy. There is a patch of it in my yard in Florida, and I did some yard work near that area.

I'm really ready to be home in my own house with my dogs and kitties... A bit daunted by a large list of tasks and work that have piled up.... but I won't enlarge those feelings into a sense of being overwhelmed. I guess the thing that is most getting me down is the need to visit my mother right away. I'll get it done today.

I hope everyone has a good day...

Comment

Hi Early Risers: Yes, I too wonder what happens when the pink cloud wears off. I'm still pretty new in sobriety, even though I've only had small amounts of booze since I joined in Apr. 07. It's really been this year of 2009 that I've said: "This is it...I'm stopping." So, I'm very new & still on the pink cloud.

I've made some changes this time around. Since 2009 started I've only missed 3 days of exercise...my goal was 5 days per week, so I've stuck to that. I've also meditated at least 3 - 4 days per week, even though it's not an "official" goal. Additionally, & most importantly, I'm not avoiding conflict. I'm doing whatever discussion I need to do to bring anything (large or small) to closure.

I don't plan to let up on MWO either. It's important for me to log in here daily & read & share. Thanks everyone for being here.

WIP: I too would be so missing my home & my puppy. Be well.

Mary
          Wisdom, Courage, Strength
          October 3, 2012

Comment

Happy Monday,
            Thanks for starting us out DG! You deserve more than a pat on the back for maintaining your weight. Weightloss seems like it must be such a challenge, because unlike al, you can't just quit!
            river0123- Have you written letters to people who were effected by your drinking. I have thought of doing that, as there is more than a few people I have let down during the al-filled cloud I call the past 8 yrs.
            Mom, I'm sending good thoughts your way. It was said before, but I'll echo it. Being sober through all of this might be mentally tuff, but think of how horrible it would be trying to "be there" while using. Stay strong! We know you can.
            awip-Welcome home! You have had quite the journey Good just staying strong.
            Had a little bit of an "inner" fight with myself last night. The BF left a bottle of raspberry vodka out on the table when he went to bed...I don't even like vodka but the smell....how can I find the smell of vodka enticing? weird. Well I made it, but from now on, when he's done with his stuff, it's going away. Out of sight. That shouldn't be too much to ask for. Ok, well I should run, Happy af days to all who preceeded me today, and all to come today

Comment

I crossed you retteacher, Good morning to you too! Keep it up with the excercize! I admire your passion. One of these days I hope to be come an abbersizor.....Using the weather as an excuse for now.

Comment

I have had some of these same thoughts pecking at my brain.

Lots of "now what" DG. I have ideas, I just can't seem to focus.

MO3, I send you and you friends prayers for strength. You are a kind soul and a good friend and good for you for seeing the perspective opportunity.

River, someone suggested the Love Dare to me but I'm afraid that is not my path. Neither of us are interested in being mates and I do believe it is for the best. I hope things work out how you want. You might take a look a the book by Collin Tipping, "Radical Forgiveness".

WIP I feel for you with you mother issues. I cringe when I read about them. When I got up this AM, I thought "shit, I forgot to call daddy yesterday". Then I immediately feel guilty for the thought and the oversight, forgetting that he has a phone and can dial and I should not feel guilty for forgetting something he insists on assigning me. Then I get angry when I see the manipulation in it's full glory and then go back to guilt when I think it's such a small thing to ask. Then the bouncing back and forth begins. Whoa, sorry, I didn't see that coming. I guess coming to terms with that could be my "now what".

I have some new organic tea - tropical riobos - and it is so nice. A triangular sheer cloth tea bag that is very classy. I like my tea in a china cup. This is an incentive for me to quit that caffeine thing I've been on that is NOT a good "now what".

Have a good day and don't forget to spend some time soley for yourself. Hi mary & star.
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Yep, the honey moon period waning is always a problem. It's the same with mastering any life style change. Mastering an exercise, talent or skill. Over all health improvements, relationships.

I think it all amounts to keeping it fresh. Gotta be mindful.

I try and think of new focuses and activities. Not easy but important, it can be fun to learn something or meet someone new.

Oh, greenie, my caffeine is so nice in the AM, that is a really tough one. I too love a fancy cup.....just tastes better!!

Mini man is sick again :-( looks like I may need to take in to the Dr today. Poor little guy.

My "me" time is gone, gotta run, xoxox, nat
                  Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Morning all!

Momof3 - hugs to you. I will send my prayers to your friend. I can't even imagine.

Well, today is day 8 for me (again). Gosh, I wish I didn't let 6 weeks go down the tubes like that - but what can you do? I am sleeping great; have loads of energy and I even weighed myself this morning! I have lost another couple of pounds - yippee! I have lost a total of 15lbs since July. It is amazing that I had that much to lose! I really shouldn't lose anymore but focus on toning up a bit more now. This walking I have been doing the last couple of weeks has really helped with some of the toning. I can kind of see my abs just under a thin layer of flab LOL! Gotta love it though. I went from 152lbs to 137lbs! I am 5'7 so I am really happy with what I am seeing. With the weightloss comes a lot more energy and the incentive to stay sober and continue to live a healthy life.

Well, must run and make lunches. IT is Monday again! Have a great day everyone!!! Another beautiful day it is here... well it is suppose to be. It is still dark.

Comment

Just popping in with my weather report. Had a beautiful snow this weekend, it was great as long as we weren't out in it! 8-10 inches I suppose, it's beautiful! The kids have a snow day, so I'm just not sure what I'll do today. No use doing too much cleaning as they will be tracking in snow and mud all day I'm sure! It's pretty chilly 4 below, it might be a little too cold for them to go sledding again. I think I will bundle up later and get some fresh air!

DG--congrats on the 23 months. I woke up this morning and took a deep breath and thought how great that felt without my lungs hurting. That is one of the great things about getting off the al and cigs--no more disgusting morning breath and crappy feeling!

Well, I'm supposed to get the fire going again, so I better get busy. Have a great day!:h
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Happy Hangover-free Monday ABland!!!!

River I love this line from your post today: I've been watching 28 days whenever it's on cable, and I like how at the end she says she's trying to make her outside match her inside. Let's make ourselves fricking amazing!!!

WIP, road food can be gross eh? I'm catching a flight today to san diego, then back late tuesday, then I drive to fresno, then hopefully back Friday. going to be a long lonely week, and also missing my martial arts classes, but that's ok. the glass (of coffee) is half full.

the only thing worse than traveling is traveling while hungover and/or on a binge. I shudder at the memories of those times.

off to pack. Be well my friends!
                        nosce te ipsum
                        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Not a lot of time today, full day at work but just want to say hi - congrats DG on 23mths NF and Hula on your 30 days AF - we seem to be doing a lot of celebrating round here lately, its so inspiring!! Momof3, know you're having a pretty rough time right now, just to let you know you and your two friends are in my thoughts. You're so right, it puts everything into perspective.

I've been looking at my old posts and its amazing how long my drinking thinking started before I actually took that first drink last year. I started dead on my 120th day on my son's graduation day 26th June with champagne and convinced myself I could moderate. The warning signs are there in posts going back as far as early June, the drinking thinking, the self-doubt, the negative thinking. Still, I'm back and I'm learning.

Off to sort some tea out and might treat myself to a nice long soak in the bath.

love Janicexxx
                          AF since 9 May 2012
                          Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Good morning absters. Why does saying that make me want to do crunches,:H OH well !

I congratulate anyone who exercises regularly, I so need a routine.

MO3 I'm so sorry about your friends, hoping and praying they get well very soon!!

It is so sunny here that this morning I woke up and thought my mom had turned the light on in my room, but it was the sun. I love it when it is sunny, even if it is very cold. A whole 7 degrees.

Retteacher, I am also on the pink cloud still, i've decided to be AF in 2009, but I have a feeling I will want to keep it that way permanently. I have to many regrets about all the wasted time with AL. AF is the life I want I just have to figure out what that will mean.

DG congrats on the 23 months!! I've never smoked but I hear it is a hard thing to stop.

greeneyes, that tea sound great !

Wishing everyone a great Monday !!

kit
                            AF since 12/11/2008 :ranger c:
                            Today well lived makes every yesterday a dream !:catroll:

Comment

Janice: I never really thought about reading my old posts. It must be interesting. Mary

I'll try it when I have the time.
                              Wisdom, Courage, Strength
                              October 3, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X