Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topamax-Who is at 200mgs-How are you feeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi-I've just gone from 150mg to 200mg and just not feeling great on the Topamax...its working GREAT! I don't even think about wanting to drinking (my goal is moderation) but when I had to go to the 100mg tab, WHOA..just not liking the feeling..my neck is a bit stiff and I just 'feel' it in my system..I wonder if I'm going to get used to it. I did get used to the other dosages...I'd love to hear your experiences.

Thanks!
    d

Hey there

Hey there
    Im sorry I am not at 200 mg, but just curious about what you said about it working great, no cravings etc. - i just went from 75 mg to 100 mg and i feel a difference - reduced cravings etc - but the cravings are definitely still there and I am feeling pretty dopey. I just wanted to ask you -- did you have the cravings still at 100mg? Are you just noticing this huge difference now at 200mg in the cravings?
    Thanks!!
    Jen
    Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Hi Jen, I wasn't an extremely heavy drinker with huge 'cravings' before..more like a binge drinker when I did drink..so I'm trying to get a handle on the binge drinking..so just to clarify that...but yes, I noticed a big change particularly going from the 100 to the 150..that's when I stopped really 'trying' to 'control' my drinking and it got much easier..I've been drinking maybe 6 or 7 glasses of wine a week, the last few weeks, where as I would binge on sometimes a large bottle of wine at one sitting ..now, I could take it or leave it..it's also effected how I eat..I only want to eat if I'm hungry..shop when I need something..however, the the drug feels kind of intense right now...

Comment

:h Hi Jenneh,

Best, here.

I was at 200mg by about 6 weeks, a little fast I know. It seemed to have the opposite effect for me. As I increased my dosages, my side effects diminished, however, I was using Ginko Biloba and other supps to help as well as Xanax to calm. I really don't seem to physically crave. if I have one drink, I'm fine, even two, after that watch out. I am on abs 99% of the time. It's best for me not to tempted by the demon within. I think we've had this discussion before. The mental accuitity has returnied. Exercise seems to be a huge part of it for me. Blood flow BABY! to those precious brain cells, or what's left of them. LOL! A positive mental attitute and upbeat mental dialogue with yourself helps. Everyday is getting better inspite of many insurmountable obstacles for me.

Hang in there Jenneh. I'm not sure the increased dosage is right for you. It was for me. I'm still at 200. I plan to stay there. Just see how it goes. Take care

Best!
        "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Hi Dilayne, I also have 100mg topa but I don't take it all of the time...Whe I have used the larger tablets in one dose though, I did have an odd effect..and since I know it is used to work for epileptic, migraines, bi-polar, etc, in addition to the cravings, it's working on the brain.

Can you try to take the full 200 mg dosages in four 50 mg doses throughout the day? As long as you don't have the time-release tablets, the doctors say splitting is fine.:l

Comment

I'll Tell You How I'm Doing When I Locate My Brain

Good question. I'm actually pilfering my daughter's supply of Concerta, a medication for ADHD, over the summer. I have taken it before in the past under my own RX. It is the only thing that is helping me to get anything accomplished on 200 mg topa. To some extent, I can handle the dopa effects, because I have been a bit addle- brained since I had my daughter almost 17 years ago. It is more the tiredness and difficulty getting motivated that is hard for me. But yes, I do feel the effects of the topa very much. I am going to talk to my psychiatrist in August about the pros/cons of concerta/modafinil and see what he says. The good news is that once I get myself going, I am fine.

Hugs,

Kathy:l
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Lucky

I guess I'm one of the lucky people with the Topamax. I've been on 200mg for over 2 weeks now and feel just fine. I think everyone needs to give a new, higher dose a little time for their body to get used to it. I just saw my Doctor the other day and she said I'm taking the highest dose of any of her patients who are on the drug (for other reasons), and she's surprised that I'm tolerating it so well. She also said it's ok to go up a little with the dose during the week in preparation for the weekend, then back down. I may try that.

Comment

I think I'm going to try to cut back to 150mg during the week and see how I do and if I feel I need to increase by the end of the week, I'll try that...

thanks!

Comment

topa 200 mg

I started taking topa the first part of Jan. and have been a 200 mg since March. During the dose up and a bit after I had some word and spelling challenges, hand tingles and that's about it but they have gone away. I have lost 20 lbs and now am at the weight I was most of my life before menopause so just need to make sure I don't lose more. I drink moderately--just not as interested as I was before.
                  I'm curious about where to go from here. Stay on topa forever? Try to taper off? Does anyone know if you gain the weight back?

Comment

brand new

I was just wondering - it sounds like its working so well for you - did you do the whole program: CDs, vitamins, topamax and exericise? I just started the topamax day 2 at 25 mg and am waiting to get paid so I can order everything else - hopefully by monday!
                    Sully

Comment

Hi Sully and Gardener..I'm trying to do the whole program by the 'book'...I'm feeling better at 150mg and added 25mg yesterday..and actually felt it today, so I may have found the right dosage for me..also my over the last month my desire to drink is little to none...totally AF this weekend, I'm usually a wine drinker and just had 3 beers one day this week vs. 6 or 7 glasses of wine the last 2 weekends which is around my moderation goals. I've lost about 10 of the extra pounds I've gained over the last year (I lost about 20lbs on weight watchers the year before) and don't really want to lose an more than 5lbs so I'll need to watch myself as well..I am pleased with the weight loss, needless to say. My doctor says if it's working, no reason to go off of it, but we'll see, I think it will be an experimental process. I've had long period of abstinence, I only recently started binge drinking during some life changes..so MWO may have helped me through some rough times..I've been going through some wonderful psycoanalysis as well..so I've getting re-wired from all sided...MWO has definitely helped me.

Comment

WHOA...lots of typos above...don't know if its the keyboard, the Topa..or that I'm just tired..LOL..I'm definitely sober though, I swear! LOL!

Comment

Yikes Kathy, you are taking concerta? Holy Smokes, uppers and downers, be careful honey. How about trying Campral, which has hardly no side effects?
                          Meow-Meow
                          MonaKitty

Comment

Hi,
                            Thanks for getting back to me. I have just started on 50 mg today. I'm also on celexa for depression/anxiety (although not really feeling that much of that stuff anymore - just afraid to go off cause feeling so good) I feel like the topa is already working - I feel like I'm not craving wine (which is all I really drink) at all but its the habit I can't break! Crazy! Like last night i didn't get done w/ my day until 9:15 at night but I still had to stop by the store to get a bottle of wine so I could sit in bed a read and have my down time. Sure enough finished the bottle and had to be up at 7am for my little ones swimming lesson feeling less than a great mom. Any advice on breaking the nightcap habit? Glad to be here. Been a long time coming. Never been able to admit my little problem to anyone.
                            Sully

Comment

Hi Sully,

I have my own little habit of eight beers before dinner. This sometimes means I eat at 10:30 at night. What I don't get is the fact that most of the posts I read are stories similar to ours, we are functional and succesful but unhappy and not being the parents we should be, or for that that matter, not the great people we should be.

Why doesn't the medical community realize that the vast majority of people with alcohol addiction are not skid row drunks but in reality they are our neighbours and friends, battling this problem without support and desperately seeking some way to get normal again.

The time has come for the medical community to embrace the idea that addiction can be cured through medication and not the standard self flagelation that they have promoted for as long as I can remember.

I am having incredible trouble trying to get the medications available and the doctors I have seen have not even heard of them. Sorry to dump this on you Sully, but I am getting a little frustrated.

Good Luck...Skip 123

Comment

Working...
                              X