After 30 days then what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 30 days then what?

I'm new here and have only had a few post but come here and read and learn.

I have been AF now 22 days and must say I do feel better and the weight I want to get down is coming off. I have gone back to working out and watching my diet and that dose help I know. I have been a weekend drunk for years you could say and this is the longest time I have gone I can remember. It hasn't been real hard, I did have what I felt was a slight withdraw like being jittery but that has gone now. I just felt that I needed to step back as I going through a bottle of vodka in 2 days and it seemed to be picking up to more.

So now after 30 days is up I am thinking what next do I want to do? I think I want to moderate if I can. But what is moderation? A slight buzz now and then? Just a few on a weekend night? Or is it just being in control. Would love some feedback on this. :thanks:

After 30 days then what?

Big Boat well done on 22 days - excellent! why not have a read through the mod squad threads, lots of info there and you are welcome to join us. Kid has posted a lot on definition of modding but its different for everyone and you will have to find what works for you. looking forward to getting to know you better, keep posting and reading and good luck. you will also get some great responses to your post as some fantastic wise folk here.
    Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

After 30 days then what?

Hi Big Boat -- if you can mod that's great. My own definition of mod'ing is to have a drink or two, maybe even three and feel satisfied. As for me, it simply is not possible to mod. When I have a drink all I want is another.........and another. After lots of years of chasing the elusive goal of being an in control drinker I finally gave in. I realized that I can never stop at a reasonable point. Good luck to you and I hope you get to a good point be it mod, AF, or whatever.
      Matt

Comment

After 30 days then what?

Oh, forgot to say I finally quit and am now sober for the past 6 months. Feels better.
        Matt

Comment

After 30 days then what?

Hi Big boat,

I think deep down we would all love to mod. some can some can't, after trying many, many, many times and eventually creeping back up to old levels everytime , and how exhausting it is to WORK at modding, I gave up and am deciding I have to AF. I just don't like the mind battle , it wastes so much of my energy. I know its a ODAT thing, but at least after the first 30 days, the frequency of the "mind battle" is slightly less. And my hope is that the battle in my head will lessen more and more as time goes on.
          keep coming here and reading and posting. especially helps me when I'm having strong cravings.
          May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

After 30 days then what?

i just had a dream the other night...ok so i have reached my 30 days...now what the hell do i do...now i am bored...moderation is not a choice for me.
            I must suppress the beast within so I can find my way out of the darkness.
            sober since 2/4/12

Comment

After 30 days then what?

I did 30 days and i felt the same... what the hell now!?!?! I got so confused. People said i was meant to be able to think clearly about what next but that was not the case for me.

After asking like 100's the same question, i decided to try and mod.... HAHAHA. That never happened. Trust me, drink problems never go away so just stop counting the days and stay sober for as long as you can. It's so hard to mod after having a drinking problem and it just throws you right back to square one. It's soo not worth it. Just stay sober.

Comment

After 30 days then what?

I'm another one who's finally quit trying to mod. It seriously took up too much energy and headspace, compared to being AF.

Sometimes I have a nagging doubt about staying AF longterm, but I figure that's just Al sitting on my shoulder, whispering in my ear to scare me off taking my sobriety seriously. It says stuff like, "Are you really planning on never, ever having a drink at a social event again, for the rest of your life? Hell, you're known as the life of the party and you'd turn into a boring fart".

Well surprise, surprise, after just one month AF, I'm already starting to work out who I really like spending time with. There's some really true friends who don't need me getting drunk and making an ass of myself, purely to entertain them. I also realised I can be a perfect ass, for a laugh, without a drop of Al inside me.

I like someone's idea (expressed above) about the marathon, as opposed to the sprint. Makes sense to me.

Comment

After 30 days then what?

lil.michelle;530893 wrote: so just stop counting the days and stay sober for as long as you can. It's so hard to mod after having a drinking problem and it just throws you right back to square one. It's soo not worth it. Just stay sober.
                  :yeahthat:

Modding is such hard work and just not worth the trouble.

"It's easier to stay out than get out!"
                  You, as much as anyone in the universe, deserve your love and respect. ~ Buddha

Comment

After 30 days then what?

modding?

I, for one, know that I can not mod. So I am just going to staw away from that bad boy AL and keep my life happy and healthy.

I am glad some people can Mod, they are much stronger than I--but I know my weaknesses and accept them. Life without booze is not so bad, I am finding.

Comment

After 30 days then what?

I think there is a very fine line between being able to moderately drink and just plain fooling yourself. I too felt a little lost after doing 30 days AF, altho my goal was always to mod, so I carried on and did another 30 days. Everyone is different but for me doing 60 days AF was the best thing I have ever done.

Someone mentioned that modding is hard work -- damn right!! I have set myself very simple but strict guidelines and should I fail or "slip" repeatedly then I wont hesitate to jump back on the AF band wagon.
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

After 30 days then what?

Every time I think "now what" I remind myself that there are billions of people out there who don't even consider drinking as part of life and I want (and need) to become one of them. I'm hoping that once we get out of the habit of our old lifestyle, it won't be much of an issue anymore. That, of course, is going to take a lot longer than 30 days but I'm sure it will happen.

Comment

After 30 days then what?

I am trying to moderate and it's not working... yesterday I was just right back into it... just being a drunk. I agree with all of you might as well stay off the booze for good and be AF... I am waiting for the starter kit I am hoping
                          it will work.. Tonite I will be AF I am running with my group.. on wednesday.. sunday and monday.. and I am trying to run on my own.... Exercice is good...
                          It joined AA for a while but It is a group a good simple program but after a while i found it was not for me...
                          sigpic Brand new

Comment

Working...
                          X