Question about keeping my rum in the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have a bottle that is half full of rum. I stopped drinking 3 days ago. I told my husband that I was gonna pour it down the drain. He said it would be better for me to keep it and just try to resist the temptation to drink it.

My husband has bottles of tequilla, Jack Daniels and other things. I am never tempted to drink them because they taste nasty to me. He doesn't drink hardly at all. He will have a Marqritta once a month and uses the Jack to marinate meat in. Those two do not tempt me at all.

Rum is my poison. What is your opinion of what I should do? Keep it or dump it??:thanks:
    RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Hey April,

Ew, I hate social drinkers like your husband, LOL! April, its clear that the difference between you and your husband is that he does not have a problem, while YOU DO! Every person who comes to this site feels that alcohol has destroyed them in one way or another. Your husband might not be able to relate to your struggles.

DUMP THE RUM!!!! Leaving it in the house will only tempt you and sabatage your efforts. Kinda like someone suicidal having a loaded gun in the house, lol.
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

hi april

my poison is the gin or red wine i had some left and i threw it down the sink. it was hard.. it reminded me of the time i did bungee jump (i know that sounds silly) i stood there for ages just thinking about it before i finally just did it quickly.. like ripping off a plaster! if i have it in the house i will drink it (i even drink stuff i hate the taste of if its in the house) so my opinion is to dump it xx

Comment

Dump the poison!!!
        :l
        LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

DUMP THE RUM GIRL.
          My hubby is also a social drinker. (and sometimes I really did hate him for it-Over) He has never been able to understand why I can't learn to drink socially. People who don't have this problem really can't understand the struggles we go through.
          AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

It's not been a problem so for having it in the house, but I know if he is gone for any length of time (business trip) I would be tempted as thinking he would never know I drank it......

Comment

There is no way I could live with AL in my house, even today.We are all different, but why tempt fate ?? AND most certainly not in early days of recovery..He is a thief, a sneak and a lair...he would just be waiting to pounce on me, when I least expect it.
              sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

My husband is on the phone, so when he gets off I'm going to discuss this with him!!!!

Comment

April, it is your choice not his.
                  LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

April, if you had a serious cocaine problem... would you keep some cocaine in the house, just to see if you can withstand the temptation?

Comment

Dump it. Thanks for the easy question!
                      "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

It would be irresponsible for me to tell you anything other than "DUMP THE RUM"!
                        But, when I went AF for 60 days, I had a bottle of wine in the fridge the whole time and I used it to remind me what my poison was -- didn't want it to become "outa sight, outa mind"
                        Wishing you the best:-)
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I DUMPED THE RUM!!!!!:thanks:

Comment

I'm getting on the band wagon for dumping the rum!!! Your husband does not have the same thought process with regard to this problem....it's not a decision for him, just you!
                            "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Good for you!!! :h
                              LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X