Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binge to Daily Drinking

Hi All
    I have been reading some of todays posts on binge drinking and as someone who was a binge drinker would like to share. al entered my life when I was a teenager.Forty years latter I am trying to break its grip on me.When I was in my 20- 30 it was the weekend drinking and partying.Working and raising a family and not thinking al was a problem because all my friends were in the same boat.Some got the dreaded DWI but I viewed it just as their bad luck.Could have been me but it still didn't register how I was not in control. al was in control of me.
    Trying to remember when it went from weekend use to daily and can't. Some where in my life al became a daily companion. I think this is an eventuality if you are a binge drinker.It is just a matter of time.Saw it happen to myself and almost everyone I socialized with.You start to gravitate more and more to people like yourself and away from the people living a healthy lifestyle.Now in my mid 50 I see the ruins around me of people dead, families ruined.When I was younger I only saw the alcoholic as the person sitting on the park bench with his bottle. Well I went from the binge drinker to the daily drinker and now I see it was just a matter of time for this to happen. We go down the road further and further as we get older.The sooner you recognize that you are playing with fire that will totally consume you. The better chance you have of getting your life back.It is my opinion that if you are now a binge drinker it will escalate as time goes by.I didn't become the alcoholic sitting on the park bench with my bottle numb to the world.I was the walking and driving alcoholic numb to the world and one step from the bench.I think that to was a just a matter of time before I was sitting on that bench

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08
    Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
    AF 5-16-08

Binge to Daily Drinking

Good question. I never drove drunk so never got a DUI. I would make sure that I had my supply in the morning and then I would mostly drink slowly and secretively thru the day, almost never to a point of being DRUNK and....almost never at night...I am wired different than most people, I guess. I recognized as a teenager that I drank differently that others but just like my relatives did...Genetic, I am sure. The more I tired to control it the more I drank. After weeks or months AF then I would lose it and hide way at home and drink....that's what i call my BINGING times. Then after weeks or months I would stop and white knuckle it for weeks or months and binge again...ON/OFF ON/OFF...
    I joined Women for sobriety when my kids were young and had 17yrs. absolutely sober...Then came the divorce and I was back to my old habits.
    Now I use the MWO program as layed out by RJ and again feel Happy, Healthy and enjoying a sober life.
    I think we are all different in many ways and yet again...very much the same..The earlier you stop the less damage AL can do to you...emotionally, spiritually and physically...
    When you really think about it, what are the benefits of drinking??? NONE, for me.
    When AL was LIVING in my life, I only only existed...Now Al only exists and I an truly LIVING my life.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Thanks Cay -- you sure describe my drinking evolution to a tee. And what you say about the type of people we hang with is true -- other drunks. Thanks for reminding me why I should continue to fight to stay sober.
      Matt

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

caysea, evie and matt

Wow, you are so inspiring to me. Look at what you have accomplished.

I look back and try to figure out when I starrted daily drinking and why--it's sort of fuzzy. I think I started coming home when we got the boss from hell, and having a drink or two to relax and de-stress. Before you know it, BAM!, I am a full blown alcoholic. Fast and furious, that.

I am looking forward to months and years of sober living.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

I have never been able to have just a couple of drinks. Well, maybe in the beginning. As my tollerance grew so did my love for the stuff. If I have one drink, I may as well pour then entire bottle down my throat.....cause I know I can't stop with one!
          RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

same here

I tried just the "couple drinks" a while back.
            We all know how that ended--well, you might because i sure don't remember it.:upset::H:upset::H

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

hi all
              it's interesting...I was just thinking earlier how my AL consumption changed...
              from colllege drinking to every day adult drinking...
              It was a gradual slide...
              I'm ready to change. These forums are so helpful for me. Very inspiring and full of great info.
              thanks for sharing.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Thanks Cay. I figured that it how it works out. My father started off like me, and if I keep going for another 20 years then I will end up like him. And if my father keeps going in 10 years he will not be that different from the man on the bench, only difference is that he will be sitting lonely in a cold and empty house.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Hi all, Yes I agree too. I'm from a big family of drinkers, my grandfather died at 66 from a life of AL and I have an Uncle who this year stayed home alone for christmas. Yes by himself, with his drinks. The whole rest of the family got together (to celebrate and drink of course) and we offered to pick him up and drop him off (he doesn't drive anymore as he had two toes removed from gangrene) but he choses to be on his own. When I look at them I see my future if I don't get this all under control, it's scary but what inspiration!!

xx Summer09

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

DNA

Yep, big family of drinkers here, too. Grandparents, parents, brothers...now me.
                    Is it genetic or what? I grew up swearing I would never drink, and didn't for decades and decades...maybe two beers in high school and college. I have seen some ugly stuff...I don't want to be that.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Caysea, the way you describe your drinking evolution sounds exactly like mine. I mean exactly ( except I am just a little bit younger).

You are doing great, matt, me and others--we seem to be doing quite well with the program. Maybe it's "types" like us that if we smarten up and decide to quit al, this program works well. IDK--just a thought??

Anyway, thanks for posting and keep up the great work! :goodjob:
                      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Caysea, thanks for your post, it has stuck a cord with me and inspired me to try really hard this time to stay sober.Everything you say makes so much sense to me, thanks again, joesgal

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

I just read in memory and honour of Bear. I used to speak with him and he was an inspiration. My sincere condolonces to all who knew him.
                          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                          AF May 23 09 to July 09
                          AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

Yep, my father started off like me as well and he died alone in an empty flat, with virtually nothing to his name.
                            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                            AF May 23 09 to July 09
                            AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Binge to Daily Drinking

interesting post. The evolution of our drinking habits. I too was a binge drinker from school onwards and from there it developed into the daily habit. My teachers, family, etc. warned me during my school days and told me I would be running into problems and I wouldn't listen. I'll hope when my boy is old enough I will be able to communicate this to him and hope he will not have to experience this himself. Because in all likelyhood he is just like me and will prefer to run through the wall head first.
                              AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

Working...
                              X