X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Sqaud's Weekly Thread for the Week of February 2, 2009

Monday already?
    My favorite day again at last!
    The honey-haired-girl is up to breakfast; but is she up to going back to the high-school grind AFTER NEARLY A WEEK OF SNOW DAYS; that's the question???
    Whoa...sorry to be you honey-child!:H

Coffee is on, the air is warmer but Winter is still whispering to me through the eaves and windows.
    The clock is chiming softly (I really should wind it more often) and I have that distinct glow (at least for the moment) of perfect peace.

Obviously, Mondays are my favorite day because (though I don't work often), I often choose to work weekends at the hospital, Monday is the beginning of a string of days off.
    Perhaps what makes Mondays feel all that much more delicious is the 2 or 3 days AF that I do prior to them.

"The Mod Life is the Good Life" but an essential part of "Moderation" are the cleansing, refreshing AF days.
    A long term Abstainer or nondrinker might propose that we would feel this good all the time if we never drank; but a Modder knows this not to be true;
    I know it not to be true.
    I've done nearly a year Abs before, and I can attest to the fact that my 250th day AF did not start as joyfully as my 3rd day AF after sharing a couple of glasses of wine and some giggles with a lover or friend.
    I don't understand the phenomenon, but Modders know what I mean.

Life is full of tension and flexion; dark and day, Ying and Yang.
    One needs occasional sorrow to appreciate joy...
    Drinking is fun in moderation, but never ENTIRELY without consequence.
    Drinking even a small amount reminds me why I don't drink alot.
    I know I will never binge for the rest of my life...
    Wow, just listen to me!
    Where is this going???
    Give me 2 cups of coffee and a keyboard and I start waxing philosophical!

So, back to Earth..It was a bizarre weekend in the ER and in my heart. Now it will have to flow by on the river of my mind, into the past with not much further explanation or excessive thought...

Today, I drive the kids.
    Cat worked the weekend, so I'll let her sleep and make sure the coffee pot is full when she gets up.
    There is a load of laundry chugging through the cycles.
    Lazydog has come down from HHGs room now, wagging his stub of a tail and wanting to know what everyone is about.
    A long walk is in our near future and with some of the snow having melted off, there should be revealed some new "treasures"..

This day is going to move along with or without me. It is ripe with possibility, so I'm going to hop on the train and see where we're going!
    Make it it a full day everyone,
    ~Kid Shelleen~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

You sound wonderful, Kid...It is so lovely to hear that optimism on this Monday morning.

I, my friends, don't seem to be getting any better, and I am going to have to do some real work now. I'm hoping to see a new therapist this week, and find a couples' therapist as well. I'm also going to try hard to connect more with some of the friends and family in my "real" life (not that this isn't real, but I don't know how else to put it). I am really grateful for all the support I've been getting here. Sometimes, though, I think I use it as a substitute for talking to the people in my day to day life. It is as if no one else will understand or be as loving, so I don't even try. I wake up and the tears come to my eyes right away. I am sad most of the time, and that can't go on. I put on a good front for the kids, but my oldest has been sensing that I am not "myself" and giving me lots of extra hugs and concerned looks. I don't want to burden him with that.

I am going to back off from MWO, for a while, because I feel I have nothing to offer anyone else right now, and the reaching out to all of you seems to intensify my sense of loneliness and isolation. I'm not leaving forever, but I am going to try and "cut back" a bit. Love to all. Sara
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

I'm sorry...

I'm sorry,Sara. You know we are always praying for you and your little family.
      Keep us posted on the success of your therapy and what you do next.
      We have come to care about you enormously and would not feel right until we hear back from you...
      Everything you've said makes sense.
      Keep in touch.
      ~Kid Shelleen~

Sarasmiles;535849 wrote: You sound wonderful, Kid...It is so lovely to hear that optimism on this Monday morning.

I, my friends, don't seem to be getting any better, and I am going to have to do some real work now. I'm hoping to see a new therapist this week, and find a couples' therapist as well. I'm also going to try hard to connect more with some of the friends and family in my "real" life (not that this isn't real, but I don't know how else to put it). I am really grateful for all the support I've been getting here. Sometimes, though, I think I use it as a substitute for talking to the people in my day to day life. It is as if no one else will understand or be as loving, so I don't even try. I wake up and the tears come to my eyes right away. I am sad most of the time, and that can't go on. I put on a good front for the kids, but my oldest has been sensing that I am not "myself" and giving me lots of extra hugs and concerned looks. I don't want to burden him with that.

I am going to back off from MWO, for a while, because I feel I have nothing to offer anyone else right now, and the reaching out to all of you seems to intensify my sense of loneliness and isolation. I'm not leaving forever, but I am going to try and "cut back" a bit. Love to all. Sara
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Good Morning All --
        Sara, I've said your posts about kids take me right back there. Your posts about sadness and the kids sensing that take me right back there, too. So glad you are taking steps to take care of yourself. We're here (whether each of us posts or not).

DeeBee -- Your little Ostrich reading just hit me smack between the eyes. So many things are going so well for me right now, but if I don't get my head out of the sand about some financial and professional issues, things will go from bad to worse. It's possible to focus on what's going well to the point of denial about what still needs work. I've been through to the other side of so many painful experiences in recent years that letting up is tempting. But life doesn't often allow us this luxury.

Lila and Ask, your posts about moving on after divorce have got me thinking as well. I've said before that this site cannot take the place of real life interaction (I know what you mean, Sara). I must get my own life in order before I consider getting into a relationship with a man, but I need to get off the dime and do it. So when I meet new people I will be ready for the possibility. I really enjoy my life right now but it's easy to get complacent and that could lead to isolation. My kids have their own lives and cannot be responsible for meeting all my needs for love and companionship. Friends have their own lives. So it's time to set new goals.

Kid -- Sounds like you've summoned a muse during the snow days. I love reading your posts.

Take care all -- Lena

Comment

Hi everyone- I'm just marking and running as doggygirl says- am super busy today. Will post later to catch up.
          Sara- my prayers are with you, girlfriend:l
          Toughen up!

Comment

Happy Monday dear modders,

Sounds like many of us are ducking for cover, which is always OK if needed. Sara, I'm forever hopeful that things work out for you. Just know that you're AOK with all of us, no matter what is going on in your personal life. Kid, you sound like a man who's got the world by the tail. Speak, brother, speak - what's your secret??

I'm hoping all is silent on the board tonight because we're all still giddy over the Steelers winning the
            SuperBowl. If not, prehaps you can log in and visit our little community?!!?

Vera-b.

Comment

Wow, how did this even become a new week?
              I have been so overwhelmed with FIL and his illness and family feuds regarding his care, etc. that I was almost dreading coming here as I knew I was behind a thousand posts and... whoa!! It's a new week! So, I will just read last week's post leisurely when I have time.
              Sara, I wish we lived close and I would meet with you for coffee and lend you a shoulder to cry on. PM me anytime if you want a private 1:1 with someone. Always here for you.
              Delta Moon, Sounds from past posts that you and Sara have some things in common. You too may be a great help to her and vice versa!
              I've been doing good with not drinking despite all of my stress lately. Funny how it just doesn't have the same appeal when one starts getting healthier. Did really feel like having a glass of wine or two tonight. Watched a couple shows I look forward to on Mondays and thought about my tough week and how I didn't use alcohol to relax and you know what? Didn't feel I needed it to relax. Just felt like having one - two so I allowed myself to do that. Sipped slowly enjoying every sip. Cut myself off at two quite easily (sometimes that's a challenge to quit at two) but wasn't a problem at all.
              Did well this week-end with 2 on super bowl Sunday and 2 (party no less) on Sat. and 0 on Friday which is good for me as I've always been the Fri/Sat drinker.
              So, bit by bit it's getting better for me.
              Very tired. FIL is awake, hospice nurse comes in a.m. and will be busy all day with FIL errands so will close for now.
              Hugs to all of my cyber friends.
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Damn, I missed Monday all together.
                Was too busy feeling like crap and dealing with flu like symptoms.... I am proud to announce that as of Saturday I AM A NON-SMOKER!!
                Sorry to be so self absorbed but I had to take the weekend out to just focus on getting this right as I am NOT ever going to quit again.
                I am happy to report -- NO CRAVINGS and NO MOOD SWINGS... amazing.

Kid, I loved your description of the "Mod life is the good life". If we treated everything in life with moderation we'd be happier, healthier peeps.

Hi Vera & DM. How was your weekend? Anything exciting, hmm, hmmmm:-)

Eve, I can only imagine the strain that you must be under with looking after you FIL. Don't forget how important your health is and take time out for yourself too.

Sara, I am going to miss your posts and *seeing* you here -- you are a very valuable part of our community, don't forget that. I can understand why you are taking a step back and I commend you for it. Sending a huge cyber-hug your way!!

Hmmm, where is everyone else???

Right I am off to go and eat some more nuts and pumpkin seeds (eeeewwww)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

OK, everyone!!

Who wants V-8 ??? :H
                  I LOVE this stuff!!
                  What will happen if I drink it ALL DAY ???

Hi Modders,
                  Had myself a cold one last night.
                  Cat made some kind of fantastic Spanish Paella for supper and a single cold microbrew just seemed right!

HHG is off to school and I'll be walking Lazydog in a minute, so I thought I'd say hello.

DeeBee: BEST of luck with the quitting. I've known people who get a little "fluish" when they first quit. It must be part of the cleansing process. Stick with it!
                  And I don't think I made that up: "The Mod Life is the Good Life", but maybe I did. Anyway; I BELIEVE it! If one learns to "moderate", (s)he can have it ALL!
                  Eve: Trying to send you strength, my friend!
                  Vera: I don't have the secret formula to anything; except as you say "I have the world by the tail". The secret then, would be 'not to let go'...
                  percolate on THAT for a minute...
                  Delta: Busy is good. You know what we say about "Idle hands"
                  Lenaleed: Have you posted in our "Plans for 2009" thread? Sometimes getting it in writing and trying to stick to a plan can help one sort things out.
                  Sara: We love you.:h
                  "Everyone else" you only get Christmas cards when you send them out!
                  Post in and say "Hello"!!!
                  ~Kid Shelleen~
                  ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Is V-8 really that good? I've seen it on the shelves but don't know anyone who's ever tried it. Hmmm I might just take you up on that Kid and give it a bash tomorrow.

Lena, in my haste I forgot to say that you are so right, we can't behave like ostriches especially when it comes to finances. I find that if I know my balance is really low well then I just don't read the receipt - ja right like that's gonna help... duh!!

Happy Tuesday all!!
                    Come out come out where ever you are:-)
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hey all, having internet problems today. Was thinking...

If I can have just 1 or 2 drinks and stop does that mean I'm not an alcoholic anymore?

:H :H :H

Anyway, preparing for our trip to Finland. Think we've already had some driving practice for the Finnish roads...
                      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

G'day all!
                        Well things are calming down here. I headed out of town for a few days and was able to step away from everything and see alot more clearly. Both hubby and I are committed to making this marriage work and work it will be! I am in a much better place now and able to tackle the challenges. What a blessing to be free of the chains of alcohol abuse! Life has such a beautiful clarity now.:rays:

Wow, Finland vlad! That is very cool. Reindeer and all that snow- I'm envious! Have a very blessed trip. I too wondered if I am able to moderate am I still an alcoholic? Once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic? Maybe WIP can help answer that one.

DeeBee- I hope you feel better. Are the pumpkin seeds for the cold or general health? Yes, V-8 is wonderful and offers lots of vites for our recovering bods! Good for you for quitting the ciggies! You go, girl!

Sara- are you smiling today? I wish I could give you a hug. Remember how much God loves you.

Kid- I LOVE Spanish paella. You have a special wife that cooks such wonderful things for you.

Hi vera-always good to hear from you.

Yes, life is good let us go forth and be glad in it!
                        Toughen up!

Comment

Was kind of asking the question tongue-in-cheek really, I saw posted on another thread 'I've never heard of an alkie who can just have 2 drinks and stop.' I used to drink every day and at least 3 times a week would drink over half a litre of vodka. Was never hungover, but if I missed a day's drinking I'd feel like crap, nearly being sick because I needed a drink. Sorry, but that is alcohol withdrawal. I was at least an alcoholic.
                          Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

hello everyone - just checking in to say hi, sara i understand totally why you need to withdraw for a while its part of the cycle, i have done same recently and found it refreshing although i did not stay away as long as i thought as i missed you all. kid your posts are like a comfort blanket!! lost another two pounds last night so that 8 pounds in 3 weeks, hooray! my lower back is v sore today so think i am over doing the exercise so will have to step back. eve , db et al so nice to read your posts, everyone here is such a comfort for me, sometimes i feel like its all take i wish i knew how to give some back.........! anyways stay well my friends and keep posting and of course walking!!! xx
                            Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Hi all,

Keeps, I'm on my way to the great outdoors to do my snowshoe loop. I've not lost weight yet, but haven't given up.

I love you all!
                              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                              X