• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday, August 1

Hello Absville!

Happy August 1st!

Happy not hungover Tuesday!

Welcome to all you newcomers starting out on your journey today!
    And welcome back to all you returners picking up where you left off!

Catch a ride on the best wagon in town! :w

Anni! Welcome back! Great to see you.

Brigid! Congratulations on 9 months!

Well, I thought I could catch up on posts today at work, but it was too busy. So again, I hope tomorrow I'll be able to. I don't seem to be doing well in leading this week because its pms week, and I feel so uninspired...just don't have much to say that would be interesting here. My energy is a bit low too, so that doesn't help. My apologies for the blah posts of late. But on the bright side, it can't last forever; I'm not drinking, and bloating is at a minimum. And, it was 1,000,000,000 times worse when I was drinking! Anyway, I hope to be back to my non-pms self soon.

Hope you all have a beautiful AF day...

:h Deirdre

The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for.
    -Maureen Dowd

Tuesday, August 1

Good Morning, Absville!

Oh, Deirdre, your posts are NEVER blah or uninspired! I think that you're probably feeling extra logy because of this god awful HEAT we're having at the moment....omg, I can barely leave my apartment it's so ghastly... How DID you folks to the west of us here in NYC survive the 100+ (F) weather?? AND it's hideously humid, AND the air quality is practically unbreathable....

I'm so glad that my "whatever it takes" post resonated with so many inhabitants of Absville! It's definitely something I have to remind myself of on a daily basis..."whatever it takes" and "just keep on swimming" have become my mantras recently...just seem to cover it all, really...first, we commit ourselves to whatever it takes and then we honor our commitment by keeping on swimming! Really, a nice one-two...

Well, time to go to bed--just wanted to check in with our super-duper community before I missed another day due to connection problems....thank you, Time-Warner!!

Hugs to all the new folks :l , and congratulations to everyone who is continuing the journey--and hugs to y'all as well! :l

:h
    susan clever clogs!
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Tuesday

Deirdre,
      I think you bring up a fabulous point. In some ways, when we stop drinking we want everyone to know how fabulous it is its new and a new interesting experience. Then we have 'normal' days.. or pms days or whatever. For me, this normality has been a new thing to get used to. I used to feel such pressure to have this fabulous life.. with amasing events and awesome revelations all the time.. but there is a part of life that is just - well - pretty much boring and mundane. For me, admitting that was (and is to some extent still) hard. Previously, when I felt like that, I'd think.. have a drink.. so as to put that mundanness (sp?) out of my mind. Learning to live with it has been a challenge for me. I hear the apology in your voice about raising that its not an 'out there' day.. and this resonates with me a heap... and I dont want you to be apologetic cos I think its a great point.. so I suppose, I mustnt apologise either!!!!!

I'm not totally there in dealing with this normality or boredom or whatever you call it... so its a work in progress.. but for those of you out there having a day like Deirdre.. thats life, and thats ok.

(can you hear me talking to myself in this post?!!!!!)

hmmmmmmm
      enjoy whatever sort of day you have here in absville.
      brigid

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Checking In

Hi Guys,
        It's already Tuesday for me and I think I will cut & paste this when Tuesday's Thread starts.
        Firstly Brigid It's brilliant about 9 months, I am so impressed and happy for you. I remember your kindness to me when I first found this site and it was much appreciated:h
        To Everybody else I am going to have to start keeping notes as when I read from everybodys post I go OMG, yes, thats so right, yes, I do agree!! and then when I come to write my bit I can't remember who wrote what!!
        My head spins.
        Just remember that I really care for all of you and am so happy to be with such kind, caring supportive people.
        I am doing OK but feel everytime I open up and say I am doing OK I sabotage myself!!! So now I am not sure what to say but
        Shas
        Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Hi All
          Day one of abs, decided to try abs for August, hopefully with your help I can do it. Best of luck to everyone.
          Mary

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Happy Abstinence August Everyone.
            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Morning All,

"WHITE RABBITS"

Just want to say good luck to everyone starting their Abs today.
              Feel like i've done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson this morning, i'm getting too old for this football lark. Still its better than waking up feeling rough because of the drink.
              Day 60 today and i still have to double check in the morning (that bit when your still half asleep) and think god...I dont drink anymore. The change in me has been unbelivable.Just every day situations that in the past i'd of worried about and then ignored and then drank to make it not matter anymore, i see myself wanting to address now,and just the clarity of mind..not having a haze over my head everyday...and constantly thinking where my next drink was coming from..It frees your mind up to think and do the more important things in life.
              Happy to be alive today...60 days ago it was a different story.
              Good luck for August everyone...Mackeral
              Oh Bubba have you heard anything from Lou....? Hope shes ok.
              LOOK AT IT THIS WAY.........
              IT CANT GET ANY WORSE.............

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Lou

Nope, Haven't heard owt Macks - I'll send her an e-mail and keep you posted - hope she's ok. It's been nearly a week since she went into hosp.
                White Rabbits 2 you too.. Oh and a pinch and a punch for the first of the month.!!!
                Damn - you've made me type another post - I reckon I'm winning by a good few furlongs since Lou has been recouperating... Bambi is an ex-racehorse by the way...Her Grand-sire was Northern Dancer from Canada. - He won the Kentucky Derby et al in the 60's.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Morning All and Happy August!

Wow. So much good stuff in here today!

I totally relate to you Dierdre and Brigid about having normal days. When the normal, mundane stuff that makes up life pervades for more than a day or so, its seems like "Hey - where did that great feeling I had go? How do I get it back?" And I wonder what I did about it before I "wined." But as Wayne said, what a release to be able to focus on life instead of drinking. Sometimes it stinks -- it really stinks, but it is better than before. For me, now, sober boredom=peace. (But its still hard!)

Yesterday was Day 7 for me and I really had to fight the compulsion to have wine. Here's the weird part - I truly did not want it. I simply realized, it was 630 and that was when I usually started with the wine. And, yesterday was the first night I was alone since I went abs on July 25. So, that was hard. Habit is almost harder to break. What did I learn? Have a plan for something to do for the wine hours. Last night I had no plan so I ended up eating really bad for me Chinese food. But I am ok with that today.

Wayne - I love the little devil jumping up and down - he used to live in my brain screaming "Wine! Pinot! Wine! Merlot!" It cracks me up every time I see it. Hopefully he'll be on permanent holiday.
                  Brigid - 9 months! Fabulous!
                  Mary - Welcome. You'll find great friends and support here.
                  Shas - I understand the self sabotage. But you are doing great. Keep swimming!
                  Bambino - Now you have me typing too much! My husband works away all week every week. I miss him so much, but what are you goning to do?

Oh well - I apologize for my novel. I do hope everyone has a great day. Stay cool.

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Summer is still here.

Hey guys,
                    Ya, thanks bubbs on the mini intro's. I just thought for myself that I was getting so muggled on the new peeps and tryin to keep up and all. I was startin to keep a notebook to keep it straight and thought why not keep the cheat sheet right here. Hope everyone here in absville posts.

Know what cha mean Mackeral Man on the thank God I dont drink anymore thoughts. Two of my sons whom are lovin bein teenagers, I got to go pick up at a party last night that got busted for underage drinking. Thank God they just got there and only had one cup. With a blood alcohol test to back it up but none the less. I hate it that I have to deal with this but so glad I picked NOW to not drink myself. I feel like it is so IN MY FACE how I may have contributed to the choices my teens are making about alcohol now, due to them growin up with beer in the fridge always and seein mom and dad drink it often. :s
                    Just guess I gotta be happy for 57 days AF and that they know it. I've got to keep on goin. I am so glad that in a situation like last night, I didnt have beer breath and could talk freely to the cops. This is a lot why it was startin to bug me that I was drinkin at night. Cuz I could see this stuff comin with the boys. And I knew that I needed to be sober to be strong with them and not havin drank a few beers every night like I was doin ....just be more marshmellowie and to nice then I already am anyway. I tend to not be mean and to be too understanding on just a regular day. Add in a few beers and dang....I'm practically on their side. Sometimes mean can be a problem for me. I dont do it very good. Not that I am a total pushover but well I always take the talking approach and usually dont freak out much and well...I guess they dont really get in trouble with me. Anyway...hard time of parenting. Just yesterday it was me that was that teen. What kills me the worst is just that fact. Having been there
                    .....and knowing that I cant really stop them at this time in their life. I fear yelling and getting mad will push them away and then I'll NEVER know anything. At least now they pretty much fess up and tell me the truth even tho I dont always like what I am hearin. Ya...I WOULD like to chain them in their room. Ha...makes me remember once a long time ago. Cute story....I'll try to make it short. But I wish I could do this now.....

OK.....long time ago when the boys were little...(I have three) I had them at a garage sale with me. Nuts I know, But something made me stop. Ok there was this HUGE rabbit cage there. I mean HUGE! It was big enough to put all three boys AND my husband in. Oh boy....I teased and teased the boys all day about that cage. That I was gonna go get it and well you know..... Oh am I glad I thought of this. I brought myself to laughter from those tears up there in there other paragraph.

Anyway, I gotta go. I have missed workin out for a couple days and I have been eating chips. Gonna finish my coffee and get in to the gym before the darling children wake up. Gonna need it for today cuz I have the teens on lockdown. Gonna make them work today before they get food. gabby
                    Gabby :flower:

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Happy August, All!

I will say Dierdre, that it is GOOD to hear you saying that you are just blah!! I was also reassured when our Clever Clogs went through her dark period a number of weeks ago, too. Susan, it was moving and inspiring when you wrote so openly about it. Not that I want to see ANYONE feeling bad, but it can be intimidating if everyone in Absville is always so damn happy!! I KNOW I CAN'T LIVE UP TO THAT! With luck and hard work, I may achieve abstinence, but I know I won't be in a great mood every single day! So you really are modelling what abs is really like! So please don't apologize! And thanks to Briget for reinforcing that with her length of abs experience!

Welcome MadisonMay! And hey Shas! Thanks for the swimming analogy. I use it all the time now! It is hard to keep track of everyone on here, isn't it?

I'm glad that you're not REALLY MAD about your nickname Wayne!! I'm glad that once you get past the initial adjustment period of not drinking you do get more productive again. I'm still in that knocking around period, figuring out how to get things done when I'm not drinking.

Bambs, if your posts are interesting and help you and others, why fret?? I don't see other people complaining. Lighten up on yourself sweetie! I always enjoy reading your posts and look forward to them. If we hadn't switched our service provider, I am sure that I would be well over 1,400 posts by now. I think I had more than anyone else before we switched. Please try not to be self-conscious!

NoMore and Bambs, good luck with hubbies away!

Anyway, I did something good for myself already today. I ordered the new abstinence cd's add on set. I didn't feel that the regular hypno was quite cutting it for me for abs. I wouldn't say that I am struggling, but I would like to increase the POSITIVE feelings about being abs, and I think that the hypno will help with that. At this point, I am just putting one foot in front of the other, and I would like to feel prouder and happier with myself than I am. I am also going to order that Magic Bullet blender. I haven't been making smoothies in the morning because I am lazy about cleaning the regular blender. (Lazy bug, that's me!)

Anyway, enough! Good luck to all of us in the Eastern US trying to survive this heat!

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Oops!

Oops! Missed you Gabby and NoMore!
                        We must have all be posting at the same time. Gabby, boy, good job with the boys, and yes, you have chosen a great time to be abs for sure!
                        Good luck with your hubby away NoMore. Boy do I know exactly what you mean about not wanting the wine but having the habit be so strong. Before abs I have poured out a glass of wine and had a taste, and it tasted like sh*t. Even so, I would usually drink it, because I almost didn't know what else to do with myself. That is what I am trying to get over with doing abs. Drinking seems much more alluring than it really is.

Anyway, hugs to you both, too!:l

Kathy
                        AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Thank you for all your welcomes, makes me feel so part of a family, and not alone. I can't wait to beat this, and know with all your help I can give it a good try. You are all amazing.
                          Hugs
                          Mary

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

Morning all!
                            Ahem, so this is Day 1 for me. I'm excited! And nervous!
                            The boredom/blah days posts really hit home for me. I know I entertain myself with drinking.
                            I ordered the new abs CD's too. Can't wait to try them out. I'm sure the abs focus will help.
                            Bambino, I have a JRT! Love that little stinker!
                            I am enjoying reading the mini-introductions! Keep 'em coming!
                            Happy August everyone! Keep on swimming!
                            Diane M.

Comment

Tuesday, August 1

I'm here. Day 5. Just got my first moving violation this morning in 39 yrs of life. Driving 52 in a 35. Was on the way to the pediatrician's office for my son's 5 yr well appt. It was one of those areas that feel like it should be a 45 zone....no traffic, commercial street. Things could be worse. I could be in Mel's shoes! I wish for a boring and mundane day now! That sounds just fine to me! Need to S L O W down the pace in my life....get off the treadmill for a while. Have a great day everyone. Mine can only get better! Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X