Who am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who am I?

It is a beautiful clear day in Wisconsin, the sun is shining, the temperature is approaching 40 degrees. I wake up feeling hopeful. I survived my first friday sans AL. I brace myself for the next big hurdle, not knowing exactly when it will come.

The phone rings. My once nightly drinking buddy/best friend is calling. She sounds elated by the promise of the day. I think to myself that maybe, just maybe I will be able to see her. My hopes are quickly dashed when she invites me to brunch. When we say 'brunch' in Wisco we are not necessarily talking eggs. On the weekends we go to brunch and order tall delicious STRONG bloody marys and (free) beer chasers with our eggs. Sometimes my eggs grow cold as we collectively order another round. The waiter doesnt flinch, vodka and brunch is socially accepted here on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Even my parents do it! Before I know it I am pleasantly drunk, and stagger out into the day. The day no longer holds promise because once buzzed, I can only continue to drink (if I can get away with it) or take a nap. Next thing I know, the day is gone. Its time for wine with dinner and making plans to meet friends at the bars for still more drinks. Beer and shots of Jameson most likely. And then Sunday comes and we do it all over again.

But not today. Things have changed for me (I hope). Today I made brunch at home, drank tea and took some of that l-glut stuff. Feeling slightly ashamed for having cravings at noon. But then again, when is the last time I went 4 days sans AL? I cant recall.

So I ask myself, since the day still holds possibility, whatever will I do? Who am I without alcohol? I know one thing though. I am desperate and determined to find out.

Liath
    Liath

Who am I?

good post Liath! I haven't done that Wisco "brunch/bloody Mary" thing in a long time. Brings back memories of visiting my old roomie in Green Bay. Stay strong my friend! I am going to take a walk in this beautiful weather.
    :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Who am I?

That is a powerful post Liath.
      I really get that feeling of not living while drinking...your old days sound pretty much like mine...
      I am still wondering who I am, but I can honestly say I am having fun finding out, for the first time in years and years I feel pretty contented with me.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Who am I?

Dexterhead-

I had a feeling you would understand!

startingover-

Unfortunately my 'old days' are still very, very recent. I look forward to leaving them behind though. I just hope I dont mess it up. Drinking has always made me feel out of control and like a big failure in life.

PS Are you supposed to be a squirrel or what is it?? He he.

Liath
        Liath

Comment

Who am I?

Hi Laith -- I have done it too, so many times. It really hits home, especially the part that reminds me that after a few strong ones, the day is ruined. As you say, only choices are either keep drinking or sleep. UGH! Being sober is a wonderful gift after being a lush. I hope I don't squander it. Good luck, look forward to hearing from you -- you are on a roll!!
          Matt

Comment

Who am I?

It's not just a Wisconsin thing....... I know those after brunch choices all too well.
            sigpic
            Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Who am I?

Liath,

I woke up today craving a Bloody Mary. Again my old days are not that far away either. It is a hard lifestyle to quit there when everyone including your family does the brunch thing. Really does anyone in WI need a reason to drink.....nope.....

Hang in there.
              Last night out of control February 3, 2009. I'm not doing it again, I'm doing this for my daughter.

Comment

Who am I?

:goodjob: It does get easier and once you realize how foolish the 'old ways' were you will
                wonder why it took so long to see things objectively.

Comment

Who am I?

Any given Sunday

I have to confess that I am soo happy Football season is over. In a previous thread I mentioned that I like to drink with the boys. Well I also have learned to impress them with my vast (for a girl) knowledge of American Football. Consequently, they religiously invite me out to the bars at NOON on any given Sunday to watch our favorite team. The problem? I always, always end up wasted. If our team is winning, we drink to celebrate. Worse, if they are losing, we drown our sorrows. Four hours later, another game begins. I have been known to stay out into the night, because there is always a night game on after the afternoon game.

You can only imagine my condition by 9 pm. This season, I actually attempted to curb my drinking by not going out until half time. This measure had absolutely no effect on my end condition. I realize now that, at the end of the day, football is just another excuse to drink. And though I enjoy impressing the guys, and the ritual of game day, I must admit that I cant handle it and everyone who knows me socially knows that. I am known for my 'bad sundays'. How embarrassing is that????

So you see why, on day 6 of my new found sobriety, I am happy that I do not yet have to face that challenge. Maybe I wont be cool anymore but even so, I never, ever want to be THAT GIRL again.

Truely, we are all struggling. Lets make it happen!

Sincerely,

Liath
                  Liath

Comment

Who am I?

Thanks Laith -- yes, we are all struggling. Conograts on your 6 days, that is awesome!!
                    Matt

Comment

Who am I?

Thanks. I know I'm not supposed to do this but I just keep thinking about all the time I've wasted and all the stupid things I have said or done and the bad things that have happened to me when I was drunk. All those nights that ended in a haze. Waking up with that sinking feeling and wondering if I have apologise to someone or what? It makes me want to cry. Why did I wait so long to address this problem? I hope its not too late for me. I am 32 and AL has been a big part of roughly HALF of my life!

I am upset but this week AF for the first time gives me hope. It gets better, right?

Liath
                      Liath

Comment

Who am I?

:goodjob: It gets better, right? Yes, it does get better.

Comment

Who am I?

Hi All,

Liath, you are doing a wonder job over there, and your honesty is refreshing. So, yep, there are a few Sundays wasted, we are all guilty of that, but they are gone, no point on dwelling on them, use them only as a positive reminder of what lies head of you the changes you ar making. You have decided to do this and already are happily on your way. Go Liath.

Of course it will get better, and you will meet new people and find other fun things to do! In the meantime, get a crack on those manuscripts.........you knew you might get that from me! I think you are doing really well, definitely exuding confidence and inspiration
                          Live your life in such a way that
                          when your feet hit the floor in the morning,
                          Satan shudders & says...

'Oh sh*t the B!tch is awake!!'

Comment

Working...
                          X