X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday, August 2

G'day Abs-mates!

Happy July 2!

Dieann, sounds like you have some good strategy's going, Congratulations on day one!

Welcome Mary! Congrats to you on your first day of abs! How did it go?

Anni - day 1 for you too right? Go get em girl!

Barb, congrats on 2 days!

Hi Gina, congrats on 5 days! Great to see you!

Wynot. Welcome! Day one for you too!!!? That's great! Keep us all posted.

Stick close to the boards, it really helps keep perspective when you think you want to drink. It helped me so much to come here and read even if I didn't post sometimes. Definitely a wonderful support tool!

Hey Kim, great t see you! I haven't had a chance to say Hi to you lately. Hi!

I want to clarify something about my post yesterday. I didn't mean to imply that I was bored, or that feeling blah had anything whatsoever to do with being abs.

In reading the posts yesterday, I came to see that it's a fear that some people have about being abs - that it's not going to be an exciting time, that somehow alcohol brings excitement into our lives. I think it was a fear of mine before I jumped in. But the reality is just the opposite. I was soooooooo bored when I was drinking! I was in a hole as some of you might remember, and believe me it was not exciting! I drank myself into that hole little by little over many years, and just as gradually I lost a big percentage of my interest in living. That was the epitome of boredom.

I just want to make sure that you all don't think I'm saying abs and boredom go hand in hand - to me drinking & boredom do. Abs is freedom for me, freedom to do things I haven't done in years because of the restraints that alcohol and it's side effects had on me. One of those side effects was that my hormones were thrown out of balance, hence the pms, hence the blah days.

Yes I do have days that I'm not thrilled with life, especially work days. But in my drinking life I was soooo not thrilled with life EVERY DAY. I was tired and blah EVERY DAY. I was sad, depressed, suicidal, fat, toxic, bloated, full of fear and loathing EVERY DAY. And it was getting harder & harder to pretend I wasn't all that bad, and it was even harder to pretend that drinking was still exciting. I was bored out of my mind, yet I clung to that bottle as if it would dispel the boredom. Come to find out it was the cause.

Hope you all have a beautiful day... with ample climate control!

:h Deirdre

Some succeed because they are destined to, but most succeed because they are determined to.
    -Henry Van Dyke

Wednesday, August 2

August

Hi everybody and Happy Not Hammered August!
    Wow, lots of new folks - welcome. You can do it! REALLY!
    Life is going well here - keeping busy and praying for an end to this amazingly awful heat and humidity (WI, USA).
    susan and Dierdre, thanks so much for leading us - you are awesome...
    Peggy

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hi Dierdre
      Thanks for your welcome, day 1 didn't go too bad, my drink is wine, could drink 2 bottles a night no problem, but yesterday made sure took all the supps. Was very surprised to find out there is TV after 10.00p.m.!!!!! Sleep wasn't as disturbed as I thought it would be, this has been one of my excuses, "can't sleep if I don't have a drink" So, looking forward to day 2, as someone said "baby steps" at the moment. Will keep in touch, may write "my story" once I am ready.
      Have a good abs day everyone.
      Hugs
      Mary

sorry meant 10.00 p.m.

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Good Day All,
        I promise I will find out why I cant register as vinophile but at this time want to post and get going to the beach.I'm meeting a former neighbor on Cape Cod with her sons so it should be fun. The kids get to swim in the surf and we get to sit and talk.I won't get home til late so not drinking today should not be a problem.Day 5 here for me. Going away with my husband for a few days next week and I'm beginning to worry about that as he insists on his wine in a restaurant. But I'm trying to keep my eye on the ball in front of me which is today. I'll worry about next week then.
        Can't wait to read all your posts tomorrow. Keep cool all of you in US.(Is Britain still having a heat wave? You folks in Oz should be cool)
        Janet

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

another positive

Hey, I just noticed another good thing about sobriety. When I was drinking a lot, I had the shakes and twitches of my hands - kept hitting extra hits on the laptop mouse and going places I didn't want to go. I just noticed I'm not doing that any more. Another victory to celebrate - dang, there are a lot of them!!!!
          I'm off to a minor league baseball game today (St. Paul Saints) - always a good time. It looks like the weather may be a bit better today (please, spirits of the universe!!!).
          Have a wonderful day!
          Peggy
          PS - Day 47 for me!

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hi guys.
            been sick for the last few days. I had a chest infection, thought it would clear up on its own as it has in the past, not that i get this that often. but this time i got really sick. I had pneumonia.What a shock i got when the doc said that i had fluid in my lung.So I've been in hospital for 4 days.Still very tired but much better.It just goes to say that we should not self diagnose.Doc was quite annoyed that i didn't see him before i got really sick.I just kept thinking i was getting better.(silly woman)
            Any way spent the day in bed,reading,on the phone to my sisters and reading the posts.
            People are so wonderful.My friends have been here 24/7.The woman next door, whom i hardly Know has been bring dinner and even walk my youngest son to school.My family have showered me with love. It is really hard when all my family are on the other side of the world:s
            Any how,38 days of abs, not bad
            Oh Good news now,We've been accepted for citizen ship here in Australia
            lluf

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hello out there.

Thanks for the welcome Dierdre! Hope everyone is doing well. So its hot in Wisconsin too? I live in Syracuse, NY and it's already sweltering at 8:00 am. Have my glass full of ice water at hand. I too was a 2 bottle a night gal. Used to wake up on the sofa at all hours of the morning feeling like crap.

I envy you Janet... the cape is one of my favorite places. Where do you go? We went to Dennis every summer when we were kids.

I'm hanging in for day 2 and feeling hopeful. Stay cool everyone.....

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Day 3

Hi all you "hotties". I'm in Arizona - it's hot and sticky, but it has dropped under 100.

Last night was easy for me - hubby had to work an extra shift, so I sat on the couch and knitted to old episodes of Law and Order (can't wait until the new shows come out in September!). My son was late coming home, and I waited up for him instead of passing out on the couch. He caught me drinking a diet cream soda. It was probably a surprise for him to know that I am able to stay awake and check on him.

So far, I've had no trouble. Am worried about Friday, which always seems to be my hard day. This will be the first weekend I am trying to get through abs in years - I sure that my husband will be more of a problem that a solution.

Hang in there, guys - we can do this!

Barb

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

August

Good morning--had a bad night of sleep. Hubby was out late and our neighbor saw some kids trying to break into our shed at 10pm. Then he called the police hoping they would find the kids walking the neighborhood. We have had a lot of things being stolen from cars and backyards in our neighborhood lately. Sooooooo happy that when the doorbell went off at 10p I wasn't 2 sheets to the wind....Anyhow, I think all the excitement just got my brain going. BUT--in all of it I realized how gratful I was to be abs that moment. It helped solifdy my decision (like I needed more reasons), but you truly never know when something is going to happen. A phone call and you need to get to the hospital, one of the kids get sick, a fire or break in ect.......

Deirdre, such wise words today. Yes, it is freedom. People always ask what is there to do when you don't drink--I'm like just about anything you want. It was drinking that kept me from doing things I enjoyed and would sustain me. It is such freedom to go ahead and make plans and not have to worry-"well what if I have a hangover". And I loved your quote!

Lluf-hope you are feeling better--get tons of rest (and some for me). Mary congrats on Day 1! Peggy and Wynot it is just as hot in Ohio. I am so used to hearing it will be 25 degrees, but with the windchill it will feel like 0 degrees. Too hear--its going to be 95 degrees, but feel like 105 degrees--just sounds so odd. Janet enjoy the beach--with the heat all I can think about is how much I truly love fall!

1/2 day today--my son has a doctors appointment. Everyone enjoy their day!

Kim

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

A Quickie, Can You Believe It?

Good Morning Absville,

Don't have time to write a book this morning, aren't you glad?? I do want to say a few things though.

First to clarify, Dierdre, I wasn't suggesting that you thought being abs was boring!! I just think that not drinking gives us access to our feelings that we didn't have before. And sometimes that feeling is being blah or being bored!! Sometimes it is feeling happy, proud, or sad, angry or lonely too.

Janet, would you consider changing your name to "TheVinophile" or vinophile123 or something else? Maybe the system would let you register that way. I sure remember you from before!

I'm doing okay thus far with abs, my biggest problem is slacking on the exercise. I'm want to rectify that this week, if possible, but have something a little wiggy going on in my groin! Otherwise, I'm just trying to round up the different members of the sewing committee and then get the flag pieces out to them. So for at least the next few days, I'm going to be busier than usual. But for me, busier is better, because it keeps my mind off drinking. My worst enemy in this battle has always been unstructured time.

So to everyone else in Absville, even though I didn't say a personal hi!!!, I'm thinking of you and wish you the best Tuesday.

Hugs,

Kathy:l

PS: Geez, it looks like I wrote a book anyway, I do believe that I am hopeless in the brief post department!
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hi Kathy
                      Glad you made it another day, can you explain to a Brit what your "flags" are? Is is some kind of competition at college/school etc? Don't think we have this kind of thing in the UK, maybe wrong.
                      Hugs
                      Mary

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Mornin everyone,

Hot & humid in Bama.......as usual!

Made 60 jars of blackberry jelly yesterday....I'm finished with that! wow... that make a total of about 200 jars. They are small 8 oz ones to give away at my son's upcoming wedding. It's going to be on a farm in Sept.

The sixty gallons of blackberry wine called my name last night. I'm really having a hard time tuning it out!
                        I've been on Zoloft for several years and read where that type med will make some people want to drink. I need to check with doc about changing to something else. I would like to not take anything but I came off it in 2004 and had a "mood swing"............ugly time for me and my family. It was after that when drinking kicked up from mod to much more. Now I have a concern about stopping the zoloft....

It's great having so many new friends here!:w
                        You "old" guys are great too!! Don't know what I would do without you all! Love reading your post!
                        Gonna "keep swimming"!!! Just seems to be a uphill swim right now!

Have a good day.
                        Nancy & Belle
                        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Nancy--the Zoloft thing interests me. Where did you read that? I was on Paxil, but was gaining so much weight had to try something else. Tried other things, but they all made me nuts--until I started Zoloft. I was up to 200 milligrams and drinking. I tapered off the Zoloft when I had quit drinking, but I was having mood swings like crazy. So I started back up on 100 milligrams and have felt leveled off since. I don't think I would switch, but being aware of it will help me realize what is going on at times. Thanks for any info! Kim

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hi everyone -

Great stuff here today and too much to respond to! Want to check in quickly and on my way to the gym before I lose my motivation. Its just so hard (for me) to stay motivated to do anything in this HOT. I hate it. Not a fan of summer anyway and really hating it now.

Unstructured time is my demon as well and I am trying to find things to fill my cocktail hours. So, I am learning Italian. Hopefully I will start tonight, though I have a lot to do around the house.

In a moment of wine stupidness, I invited 3 of the neighborhood girls over for drinks and dinner. That was the night before I came back here and I just dont have the nerve to cancel. I'm sure they could tell I had some wine before I was outside speaking with them. So I have to make a plan to get through that. The sh*t we do.......

Have a great day everyone. Stay cool!

Comment

Wednesday, August 2

Hi Guys

I've been on a mini-vacation for the last few days. I went to a friend's house on a farm and enjoyed her company without our children. She drinks alot, but I was a good girl and took my Antabuse for added protection.

:w Welcome to NoMore, Mary,Wynot, Barb, lluf and others I cant't seem to remember:w

Gina, EZ box me when you can, I've missed hearing from you. I have some questions

Blessings,
                              Lori

Comment

Working...
                              X