Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Hi,

I just wanted to introduce myself and get started posting here. I am a 47 year old single woman and have been struggling with drinking all my adult life. I was sober six years from 1988-1994, but since then have only put together a year at most. I lost a good job last February right after knee surgery and things have been going downhill since then. I got the My Way Out book and CD's a few weeks ago and have been using the CD's with limited success. I started Topamax yesterday and am hopeful that it will prove to be the missing link. I also started seeing a therapist a couple of weeks ago, but am suffering now from severe depression and anxiety and won't be able to see a psychiatrist (it's through the state) until March 2nd.

I was doing pretty good with moderating until last Friday when I was hit with an extreme panic attack and went on a two-day vodka binge. I'm just looking for some support and encouragement. Thanks.:new:

Introduction

Hi Angel -- our stories are reasonably similar. I have bee struggling with booze all my life and even once had 5 years sober. Along the way, I did get to a good psychiatrist who treated me with meds for depression, anxieties and ADD. Unfortunately, I in my twisted way, decided that since I was being treated, I could probably drink safely. NOT True! After more years of drinking on meds I have finally put together 8 months sober. I am happy to say that my mental health is improving step by step and I am learning to cope with my own emotions one day at a time. I am a happier person and the fear, guilt, confusion are easing over time.

Mental issues and alcohol just don't mix well. I am so glad that you are seeking help. There is a bright future ahead -- just got to stick with it. If you slip along the way, try to get up. Slipping is NOT an excuse to go back to the old ways. Come here often and read and post. I got sober after finding MWO and the loving supportive people who hang out here. You will make lots of new friends who deeply care about you. Welcome, lots of love and God bless.
    Matt

Comment

Introduction

Thank you, Matt. Do you take Topamax?

Comment

Introduction

Welcome Mtnangel
        you're in the right place, you will get lots of support here. March 2 is a long wait, can't your primary care provider prescribe the anti-depressent? I know when I was on meds for depression I never went to a psychiatrist, my dr. prescribed it and monitored me unitl I went off the meds.

I wish you the best. You can do this, hang in there we are here to help so don't hesitate to ask and share your journey with us
        :lilheart: "Love is large, love defies limits. People talk about the sanctity of love...love is by definition sacred. Not some love between some people but all love between all people"
        ~Jennifer Beals~:huggy

Comment

Introduction

No I don't use topomax -- not sure what it is? But I did use antabuse for several months to get me started. It worked for me, so.
          Matt

Comment

Introduction

Hi Mtnangel,

I am finding it is a long hard road also. But being sober is the best real feeling I have had in a long time.

I have been on Topamax in the past. Not for drinking, at the time it was new on the market (about 10 years ago) and my psychologist put me on it for depression and manic phases. Topamax is a VERY powerful drug and you need to be very careful on it. I had to start out on 25 for 1 week then 50 for the 2nd week and so on. I got up to 100mg and was on that amount for a few years. I don’t know how much they talk about the drug on here, but the side effects can be terrible and overwhelming. Topamax is approved with the FDA for seizers, so essentially what is does is numbs the part of the brain that causes seizers. It really does numb your brain. I found it hard to drive, work, concentrate on it.

I’m not saying don’t take it, because when you find the right dose it can work wonders. All I’m saying is be very careful on it and understand the possible side effects.

Jamie
            Last night out of control February 3, 2009. I'm not doing it again, I'm doing this for my daughter.

Comment

Introduction

Hello, and a warm welcome Angel xxx
              Although I do not take Topa there are many here that take it with alot of success... surely you have read all the thread in the Topa, Camprol section? There is alot of info there and folks that can personally answer any questions you may have. Sounds like you are right where "you need to be".... All the best, post often and we will take a hold of your hand... All the best, looking forward to seeing you on the boards. Hugs,xxx

~ I hear a whinny on the wind~

Comment

Introduction

Thanks, 1morechance, jamieaz and niblet,

I have read most of the meds threads here, but it's still hard to get a feel for how many people it actually helps with drinking. I guess it doesn't really matter - it'll either help me or it won't and a lot will depend on other motivating factors. Thanks so much for replying.

Comment

Introduction

Hi Mtnangel, there is a dosing schedule for Topamax in the My Way Out book. I followed that with great success and very few side effects. The Topamax helped me with my cravings from day one. I also followed the CD schedule as it was laid out in the book and did not skip any days. It is a good formula for success but it is not a magic bullet, you have to use your own willpower and work hard as well.

There is a good thread here called Toolbox. It is in the goals section under the Monthly Abstinence thread. It is a "sticky" so it is always the first thread in that section. The toolbox thread has some good suggestions for coping with cravings and other habits that make you want to drink.

Best wishes to you in meeting your goals for sobriety.
                  vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Introduction

welcome Mtnangel

hope you feel comfortable here. It is such a safe place to share and vent and question and seek and support and get help and find peace. I wish you all the best on your journey. :welcome:
                    a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Introduction

welcome angel. I am and have always been a binger and have struggled on and off since being here. without everyones help and advice I dont think I would of made it to where I am today. Please read and write. Check out the tool box thread in the abstinence section. There may be some helpfull posts for you there to get started. All the best.
                      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Introduction

Hey there, MtnA

:welcome: You will do fine here--I can see your honesty and desire.
                        Topamax was originally for seizures???

I am using Kudzu---works the same...check the Health Store Link

Best of Luck to you

Comment

Introduction

just starting out

This is my first message. I've been on topamax for 2 years, not much help. My doc wants to up my dose to 100mg from 50. I'm meeting w/ shrink tomorrow to discuss naltrexone.
                          Anyone doing those 2 together w/ success?
                          This is the best forum I have ever found. I'm not aa type. This feels safe. Thanks.

Comment

Introduction

Upnorthgirl-
                            That is what my doctor told me Topamax was approved for 10 years ago. People that were using it for seizures were on a dose of 400-600mg a day, again what my doctor told me. I will never forget it, because I know that I was not a fuctioning adult on anything over 100mg. I would think the people taking it for seizures would just be in a state of la la land all the time.

I can see how it would help with drinking. Or I know it would help with my drinking problem. I just can't go back on it trying to get pregnant. So I have been off the Topamax for the past 3 years or so. The other benefit of Topa is the weightloss. I'm not overweight (5'7 135lbs) when I was on Topa I lost 10lbs in the frist few months I was on it....with doing nothing. I did have the terrible tingling in my face and hands, and terrible short term memory loss. But after a few months on it, those went away.

Okay I'm rambling.

Jamie
                            Last night out of control February 3, 2009. I'm not doing it again, I'm doing this for my daughter.

Comment

Introduction

Oh, I know two people who are on it for headaches and sever migraines also. My aunt is one of them, and she is on 100mg a day. She has also lost weight on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X