Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerned

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here, but sure glad I found you!
    I've struggled with alcohol for several years. I used to get plastered regularly until last year. I started having a lot of health issues... none of which I could exactly put a finger on. Anyway, I managed to remain sober more than half the year... Then, out of a mixture of feeling better and boredom, I returned to what I expected to be a more restrained style of drinking ( maybe getting hammered 2 times a week ).
    At any rate, most of the symptoms are back, along with some new ones. I am concerned that I may have Alcoholic Neuropathy. I have sustained a relatively severe injury to my Radial Nerve. Not sure if alcohol could have been the culprit in itself, but it is surely related.
    Also, I have occasional labored breathing and a feeling of my Central Nervous System going somewhat haywire. Panic, anxiety, heart palpitations, hand numbness, odd pangs of pain in parts of my legs, week knees and some mental confusion.
    Currently, I have been sober for about a week. Does any or most of this sound familiar to anyone? If so, please reply...
    :new:

Concerned

Hiya Groggy, Welcome! I didnt have all the feelings your describe other than anxiety, and I understand that comes hand in hand with heavy drinking? It lasted about a month into my sobriety.
    Well done on being sober for a week, that is a great start. I am sure others will be able to shed light on your other symptoms.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Concerned

Welcome Groggy,
      I can't say I have experience any of the symptoms you've got but I do remember how poor my health was in general when I was drinking. It took a good 6 months before I truly felt healthy... and now that I've stopped smoking I feel crap all over again lol.
      Have you discussed any of this with a Doctor?

Great job on notching up those AF days, stick around, there's lots of support here.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Concerned

Hi Groggy. Yep, a lot of those symptoms sound very familiar. I did in fact have nerve damage in my legs which I was told was from the alcohol. I think smoking contributed as well. My legs used to tingle and feel numb. Also it was hard to walk because I was numb from the knees down. After some time off alcohol because my liver was becoming damaged as well, my body repaired itself. I do still get some pain in my toes occasionally though. Hope this helps. Congratulations on being AF for a week. Good work.
        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
        AF May 23 09 to July 09
        AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Concerned

Hi and Welcome, Groggy....I too have experienced many of your symptoms - my peripheral neuropathy has lessened nearly completely since I have tried to stay AF and had much success over the last 6 years, when It was diagnosed. Every time I relapse for long binge periods, the pain does return, and I am aware that this reason (among VERY many) is why I no longer drink.
          Wishing you all the success of sobriety that you definitely deserve....it is not easy, but you are certainly amongst empathic friends here.
          *Serenity is the calm WITHIN the storm*

Comment

Working...
          X