Temptation is starting to rear its ugly head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, so far so good, I've had nothing since Feb began. I'm getting worried though...I have a week off work coming up and I'm off out for dinner with colleagues....I am so worried about being tempted to order a drink. I've been thinking about it for days now...even in the morning when I get up. The devil on my shoulder keeps saying.."look how well you have done, one light beer won't kill you".....On the other shoulder, I hear," one drink will lead to another and then you will start all over again....just like your binge and purge sessions have been before." I keep trying to convince myself that I can drink in moderation and that it is just impossible to give up completely.

I know they will raise an eyebrow when I say no to a drink too....my reputation precedes itself. HELP!!!!!! :upset:

Hi Hope,

Well done on Feb so far! I also struggle with 'social' occasions, but having managed a couple AF, I can say that for me the thought of being AF at an event is worse than the reality. I also have a rep for being the 'drinker' in the crowd, but have been surprised at how nobody has really picked me up on the fact I'm not drinking, and once I got past the initial 'sparkling water please' and everyone else had their AL, I got a buzz from the feeling of control, rather than an AL buzz. I hope that makes sense, and good luck! B. x
    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Hope, take a look at the "tool box" thread on "Goals" > "Monthly Abstinence." There are a ton of excellent ideas about this kind of situation.

You're doing well and you are moving into some difficult challenges. It's good you came here for help; I'd suggest you stick around here a lot, do a lot of posting and reading, because it will help you to keep from doing all this on your own, in your head.

My biggest piece of advice, other than the above: do NOT allow yourself to enter into these arguments in your head about drinking, or not. You will lose every time, sooner or later. If you truly want to stay AF, then change the channel in your thoughts when that starts up... distract yourself, come to MWO and ask for help, or read old posts. Whatever it takes. Come to the AF threads and spent some time reading and posting. It helps tremendously.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the advice...I just read the posts "Why I hate AL" and they actually really helped me too. I know I can do this...I couldn't bear for my son to see his mother an alcoholic. He is only two now. I want to do this for him.

I'm going to bed now with a lot more strength and resolve. I'll be back nearer the time!

Comment

Angel vs Devil

I totally agree with your logic about the arguments I have in my head. This is always my downfall.....From now on, I will change the channel!

Comment

Hope

"Hope is a thing with feathers
            That perches in the soul..."
            Emily Dickinsen

Hope--I think social occasions are difficult for many of us. I always find them easier--I can abstain and look good and then come home and get smashed alone. For me, I can be busy talking, laughing, dancing, whatever--and no one will notice if I order tea or coffee or water.

But if you feel you must put on a show about a drink to avoid questions, there are things you can do until you get ready to tell your friends.

One thing--get there a bit early, go directly to the bar, and order club soda with lime, or whatever. No one will know you are not drinking and you can let the waitstaff know you want "more of the same" beforehand.

We have all used the "I am on antibiotics now" ruse too. You need to do whatever it takes.

Eventually, you can share your journey and goals with your friends.

Comment

Working...
            X