Antabuse questions-need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I have my Antabuse prescription. I have looked up a lot of information about it.
    I have read about the side effects. How bad are they--I know everyone is different.

Now I am debating--start it now? Or wait until after my vacation which begins Saturday.

I do not want to be ill from side effects during vacation. But I do not want to be drunk on vacation.

But I know part of me is rationalizing this --for me part of the vacation experience is the Margarita or cold beer on the beach. And I am convincing myself I can Moderate without starting the Antabuse.

Daughters say start it NOW. Husband says wait until after vacation. Right now I am thinking wait..I can moderate.
    But the other half of me says that I haven't before so why would I on vacation???

Any thoughts?

I answered on your other thread... you posted this twice...

Comment

Hi UpNorth -- I have used antabuse, and it worked for me but only when I was determined never to have another drink again in my life. The times I was just "turning my problem over" to antabuse, I would stop and start the antabuse and the drinking. If you are not there -- 100% determined to get AL out of your life forever, you might not want to start the antabuse. Let us know how it goes. Good luck to you and whatever you decide, have a wonderful vacation !!!
      Matt

Comment

I have used antabuse about 30 years ago, actually I still think that's the worst stuff ever made, to help, to stop some one's drinking. If one has a liver damage , it's no good at all. Who wants to drink, drinks anyway. I drunk on antabuse, later I didn't take it anymore. But is up to you what you think would help. But I would recommend NO.

Comment

Welcome, Lebertran. Just a different point of view, not to scare people too much; antabuse can be a problem for those who do have liver damage, but it is used a lot, and safely and successfully, with no problems at all, for many people who are alcohol-dependent. It CAN be a very good way to break some of the habitual drinking behaviors, and learn to deal with triggers and certain situations, without alcohol. Not for the very long-term... maybe a few months.

Comment

As someone who has taken antabuse, I want to give you my take on it. I found antabuse VERY helpful, in that, when I took the med, i KNEW I could not drink...therefore i didn't. Because I KNEW I couldn't drink, I didn't obsess about it, which was wonderful. SO, here is the thing. If you want to go on this vacation and not drink, take it now. If you feel strongly that you want to be able to drink...wait. It is really that simple. Make your decision now, and it will be made for you when you go.

Antabuse did help me tremendously, but was not the total answer for me. I found myself getting into a pattern where I would take it when I was completely frustrated by the drink problem, and then stop taking it so that i could drink again. Truth is, I had to learn how to conquer this demon without the help of the drug. Suprisingly, I have found AA meetings to be an answer for me. I say suprising because I had gone to AA many years ago, really hated it, and found it not helpful. However, things are different now...maybe I was really just ready to really do something. Anyway, I started going to meetings AND taking Antabuse, which I think many in the program disagreed with. However, I do not think I could have gotten even a few days together without Antabuse's help. After a few weeks, I was able to stop taking it and NOT drink....AMAMZING. I am on day 62 today, after 20 + years of nightly drinking...and feeling great.

I am not selling AA here, just telling you what happened to me. And most importantly my experience with Antabuse. If you are having trouble getting any time together, I think it is worth a try. With regard to your vacation...just make your decision now. You CANT drink on Antabuse...you will feel awful!!

As for side effects....I had absolutely NONE...unless I drank. I didn't feel a single effect of the drug. If you are worried about this aspect, I would recommend taking a small amount now (maybe a half) for a day and see what happens. If you have no issues, you probably will be fine...unless you drink.

Just my two (or more) cents.

Beth
            formerly known as bak310

Comment

Working...
            X