The Mod Squad Weekly Thread Beginning February 23, 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new week and a new chance to be all that we want to be.
    Did anyone watch the Oscars???

It's Monday, my favorite day.
    Cat's home; the honey haired girl is fed and ready for school.
    The Other Guy drives today. I'm going back to bed!
    Have a great day, Modders!!
    ~Kid Shelleen~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Morning Kid! Hope you're good! I figured out the red box thing on the Drink Tracker. Had to use it for yesterday... because...

My drinking habits are strange... I'll drink on week days, not drink Friday and Saturday, then drink over my set limit on a Sunday night. Well, that's what happened last night, well part of it was down to suggestion also. If I'm given the opportunity of a drink, I always say 'Yes, please!'. Saying, 'No, thanks!' is still a difficult one for me. Anyway, I'll get to the point, I shared a bottle of wine with hubby and then had 2 beers - total equivalent of 4 drinks... (the wine was a 4 drink bottle, I checked!). Not only that, if hubby hadn't suggested bedtime, I had plans to drink the rest of the vodka left over from New Year. Honestly, I have a bottle in the freezer with only a tiny amount left in it - oh why don't I just let go and throw it away???

Oh yeah, I have yet a new home for my journal....

Vlad's Journal
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Afternoon Vladster and Kid,

Nope I haven't watched the Oscars and don't tell me as it's only being aired tonight.

Vladster, throw that damn Vodka away!! It's just gonna cause you misery.

I am finally home, it was a long week last week and it took just over 7 hours driving in pouring rain to get me home. We had such a great weekend though. My hubby's parents and brother and family all met us at a Game Lodge and we just chilled for the weekend. Spent most of the day by the pool, evenings were spent in the hide-out waiting for the animals to come to the water-hole and the mornings were spent taking long walks.
      My daughter made a comment that really hit home as to just how horrible I have been to her, she said "Mum I think we all needed this weekend away" shame man.

So I feel revitalised and raring to go. Can't believe it's the last week of Feb!!!

Right, I'm off to catch up on the weekend news.
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

What a blast catching up with the weekend news.

WB Sun, I missed you. Sorry to hear you are still not feeling 100%, maybe some TLC is in order:-) Get better soon, k.

ZED IS BACK!! Great to hear from you BB, I've been wondering how you are and what you've been up to. How did your dinner go with Lindsay & Mark... did they feed you anything traditionally SA?
        I just had a peek at your photos -- stunning!! Did you take them?

Eve, it sounds like life is getting back to normal for you? Please enlighten me about Lent.... I don't know anyone who celebrates it so I don't have a clue what its all about.

DM, i loved your post yesterday, you sounded so full of beans.

Within, I am going to sign up for Yoga classes. I have been looking for quite a while now but all the classes are at odd times during the day. Finally I have found a beginners class which is held on Wednesday 4pm so I am going to sign up next month.

A Vegas meet-up huh?? Crumbs I'm gonna have to do some serious saving up if I'm gonna join you. But wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all get together.

Hi Cycle, Vera (I love looking out for your bright avatar) and anyone lurking.
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

This is from yesterday- and as I'm dashing out the door in a minute here you go and I'll check back later..............

Bonne Sunday, mes amies! And what a beautiful day it is when one is not hung over! I managed to stay AF through the blues festival all day yesterday- with drinking opportunities at every corner. This was a new experience for me and one I have to share I have not had for 30 years. I tuned in to the experience with new eyes and ears and enjoyed ( and remembered) every moment. One of the headliners came up to me after his set and noticed I was not 'wound up tight' and shared with me his current recovery. That was a gift-suddenly I didn't feel so alone in the new sober world. I am now seeing the world with a new clarity and I like what I see! I really have to push myself now to crawl out of my little shell- alcohol would always do that for me. So I am learning and growing and stretching the comfort limits.

zed I thank you for the beautiful pictures of Beijing in the winter. What an adventure your life is.

Eve, I will be happy to share a sober lent with you...our hubbies joining us will make this journey complete.

My head's on straight and I'm out to make it a good one-you all stay strong and take a moment to honor your walk through recovery.

Blessings................
          Toughen up!

Comment

Inspiring!!

Those reporting in sound SOOO happy and grounded this morning!

Delta: That is such a wonderful and typical story of adventure in sobriety;
            and it's so fragile..
            When you feel that good and you are experiencing with sharp senses, it's easy to forget that you're having such a wonderous time because you are sober...
            then turn around and try to improve upon your excitement by having a drink!
            You did beautifully; and I'm proud of you.
            Vlad: Just lay that old journal down wherever you like. As for that vodka...I would consider it a trophy if I wasn't drinking; proof that I don't need it. You, however, are going to be out of alcohol on one of those crazy nights and go sniffing around for "one last drink". The vodka will be waiting there patiently for you.
            DB: Off subject; or ON subject. I noticed you planned to, but haven't started using the DrinkTracker again yet.
            It's a useful tool, I think, to document the evenings that we want to forget or continue momentum as our numbers prove our growing strength.
            Where is everybody??

Oh, I'm finished for now!
            The sun is shining, my wife is home (my daughter isn't)
            I'm going to look at the calendar...
            I feel like it might be time for a rumble sometime in the near future!
            ~Kid~
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey DeeBee, thanks for subscribing to my blog! Glad you had a good weekend.

You sound great Delta, AF at a blues festival, I know I would have found it hard. I went to the Superbikes one time last year and was AF. Found it frustrating cos there were people drinking beer in the morning. After a while though I got over it.

I've used Lent as an opportunity to abstain from alcohol a number of times. It made sense as I was drinking around half a litre of vodka pretty much every day and obsessing like alcohol was the be all and end all of life.

This time though, I want to do something with my church. One of the things we are looking at is the Carbon Fast with Tearfund.

Here's a link: Carbon Fast

What is Lent? Lent is the 40 days before Easter, and is a season of prayer and fasting. It is common for people to give something up for Lent - a common one is chocolate, in my case in the past, of course - alcohol.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Kid Shelleen;555457 wrote: As for that vodka...I would consider it a trophy if I wasn't drinking; proof that I don't need it.

Kid Shelleen;555457 wrote:
                You, however, are going to be out of alcohol on one of those crazy nights and go sniffing around for "one last drink". The vodka will be waiting there patiently for you.
                This bit I understand.

Comment

Yeah, hey vladster- chuck it down the drain, girlfriend! That voddys a bad mother fo ya- I'm doing the same with the last bit of shiraz that has been haunting me from the cupboard. Bye bye baby!

Kid- what kind of a rumble? Like rumble- tumble behind closed doors rolling like a wagon wheel? Or 'looking at the calendar' an every 28 day rock 'em sock 'em let 'em hormones fly?

DeeBee- your weekend at the game farm souded SO COOL! What kind of game did you see at the watering hole? My dad spent a lot of time in Africa in the 60's when it was cool to hunt big game and he ran safaris for the Kenyan Safari Club. Nothing to be too proud of now as the sad truth is so many of those species are endangered. I'm jetting off to answer door- will be back to explain lent.............
                  Toughen up!

Comment

O.K. sit yourself down and get a little schoolin'
                    Lent is the 40 days before Easter. It is the liturgical season for fasting and prayer. The 40 days represents the time Jesus spent tin the desert where he endured temptations by satan. The purpose is to prepare purselves thru prayer, pentinence, almsgiving and self-denial (i.e. vlad's chocolate and Eve and I the alcohol) for the commemoration of the death and resurrection of Jesus. We recall the events linked to the Passion of Christ and look to the joy of His resurrection on Easter day. We Catholics also abstain from eating meat Ash Wed. (the day ofter Mardi Gras when the whole thing kicks off) and on all Fridays during the 6 weeks of lent.
                    So there you go -a short tutorial on the practice of lent. Its a great time for reflection and conversion.
                    Mardi Gras is important in that it is the last whoohoo before we get serious. My grandpa was the King of the Crew of Iris in New Orleans during the 1945+46 Mardi Gras and he was the King of Partying too! Of course it's genetic-I've always known where I got it from!
                    So, as I always say.............................
                    Laissez le bons temps roulez!:rockband:
                    Toughen up!

Comment

Yeah...like THAT!!! The "wagon wheel metaphor"

Delta Moon;555496 wrote:
                      Kid- what kind of a rumble? Like rumble- tumble behind closed doors rolling like a wagon wheel
                      ? Or 'looking at the calendar' an every 28 day rock 'em sock 'em let 'em hormones fly?
                      I think I understand you correctly, Delta...
                      and that's exactly what I meant.
                      Check the calendar so I'm not taking the wagon out too often..but often enough that the mare doesn't get skittish
                      or forget how the whole process works.
                      Oil up the axle so the hub don't rub...
                      And let those wagon wheels roll !!!
                      (Careful not to break any spokes)
                      ~Kid~
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

hey everybody, I just got kicked out of the AF thread for my sins of having a beer on saturday xD so I've rocked up here instead, so nice to meet everybody lol
                        The way I change the past is by not repeating it
                        -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Hey, TG you are welcome here. We here at the Mod Squad are just that- MODS and an occasional beer doesn't bother us. No one will give you the boot here. Maybe a gentle reminder from Kid to keep your pact (don't worry about the needle in the eye) a prayer from Sunbeam or lovin words from Eve but no bootin' here!:H We are all on a journey of growth and learning and sometimes stumble and fall but we pick each other up by the bra straps or boxers and move on! Glad you're here.
                          Blessings
                          Toughen up!

Comment

ThatGirl;555640 wrote: hey everybody, I just got kicked out of the AF thread for my sins of having a beer on saturday xD so I've rocked up here instead, so nice to meet everybody lol
                            Wow. What an incredibly inaccurate and unfair statement. I'm disappointed in you, ThatGirl.

Regardless, there are great folks on this thread (as I've mentioned to you, before) and I am sure you will get fantastic help and support, here.

Comment

Welcome ThatGirl!

Hi TG,
                              This is a great group.
                              We have all different levels of modders.
                              We have some who can count on one hand how much they drank last year;
                              we have some who can barely count on one hand how much they drank yesterday (I exaggerate).
                              The point is; we all have made a plan.
                              We still drink but we have learned to control ourselves;
                              to not only minimize harm to ourselves and our families;
                              but to plan our lives in such a way
                              that we can ENJOY a controlled amount of alcohol
                              while acknowledging that we have a problem with alcohol.
                              Does that make sense?

Modding doesn't just happen.
                              We don't go to a party and "hope" we don't drink too much...
                              We don't wander into our year "intending to cut back" but not having a clue what that means...
                              There's much to read on the past threads.
                              Have you read the book?
                              Do you have a plan?
                              It all here...
                              That's my introduction.
                              We look forward to getting to know you better.
                              ~Kid Shelleen~
                              ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                              X