Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Long-term Moderators

Hi everyone,
    Some of you know me, and some of you don't obviously. I was here a little while back and posted on this forum. I had started with such great success, then experienced a set-back. I believe my setback now was due to a depression which pretty much has taken over me at that time of the year for many years - End of November-January. I'd taken myself from the long-term modders in an attempt to go AF again. I wasn't satisfied with my AF life. Although being AF most of the time is my goal, I'd like to be able to have a few glasses of wine at functions here or there. My stretches of AF have been become more habitual than not in the last several months and I love how healthy I feel. I'd like to come and join the long-term modders once again to give and receive support from you all. Is there an initiation into the group since I'd left before? I'll do whatever it takes! Thanks for listening.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

To Long-term Moderators

What fun!!!

Everyone voted for ME to come up with the initiation...
    Now let's see what would be totally humiliating,
    but still FUN??? :H

No; just kidding j-vo. You're in...
    Of course, if you have anything in common with J-LO,
    you could posts pics!!!
    (I'm so funny this morning!)
    ~Kid~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hi J-Vo,
      It is great to see you back! No initiation, just some questions to think about:
      What are your drinking triggers, and how you have learned to deal with them without alcohol?
      What AF strategies work best for you?
      What new strategies did you learn from your recent AF time?
      What are your current goals?
      What reasons are now acceptable for your drinking?

These are not questions you probably want to answer here, but just food for your thoughts.

OOPS! I also intended to say that Kid would probably come up with your initiation rites.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Thanks Kid and Sun. Actually, Kid, J-lo is how I got my name. A coworker calls me that. My first and last name jv, and she started calling me j-vo! I'm sorry to report, I don't sing or look like J-lo. But I do have a smaller butt! Just kidding.

And Sun, I'll do my homework on those questions. You've gotta give me a little time as I've been a little lax in the brain department since I've been off work! But these are great questions to ponder. Thanks.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hi j-vo we're glad you're back and I have thought of you often. The mod life is a good life!
          Toughen up!

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Thanks Delta. I appreciate that. I look foward to talking with you.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hi again J-Vo,
              In order to drink moderately, you have to think about your drinking. Thinking about drinking sometimes makes people drink more. That's why abstaining is easier. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but I just needed to add another 2 cents when I saw the opportunity.
              My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hi Sun, I'm going to try and tackle my first homework assignment! I'm a teacher, you know, and a perfectionist, so I always need to get an A+. Oops, part of my trigger is being that way. I need to shoot for just a B. Your questions are as follows:

What are your drinking triggers, and how you have learned to deal with them without alcohol?

Answer: My drinking triggers vary of course. I'm an extremely complex individual! When I was down and depressed, I'd want to go to the bottle. I've been practicing abstinence, and one of my rules is not to drink for an escape of emotional problems, but only for enjoyment purposes. I'd say depression was the biggest trigger for me coupled with anxiety. I've got high anxiety. I've been working on a program to help me with this anxiety and seeing a therapist. I've felt great lately. Of course stress triggers it as well. I need to deal with stress more effectively. I'm on my way!

What AF strategies work best for you?

Being AF most of the time, having long stretches of AF time works best for me. I haven't had a drink in 15 days, and quite honestly, I've gotten into a habit of not drinking most of the time. I think the more AF time, the better.

What new strategies did you learn from your recent AF time?

My strategies are to be AF for long periods of time. I think I'm repeating myself. Sorry. Don't drink if depressed - exercise and find other distractions, like shopping for something new for myself.

What are your current goals?

Again, to be AF for long stretches. No more than two drinks at a nice dinner out (doesn't happen often), no drinks at home, only special occasions, and take kudzu in the morning and afternoon if the opportunity arrises for a night out. I'll review my mod goals and tweak. I've got a journal as well. I'm going to use drink tracker again to be accountable.

What reasons are now acceptable for your drinking?

I'm not depressed, so most of my binges occured when I was feeling very low. I've been AF and feel great, and I want to continue that feeling - I feel incredible.

Thanks Sun, for having me revisit these issues.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

And another important thing to sticking to my goals:

Commitment to MWO and the people here. To encourage, and be encouraged, to support, feel the support.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Welcome Back J-Vo! You are always welcome here whether you are AF or Mod. I know how much you want this and I'm happy you've come back to where you are supported 100%.
                    Love and Hugs.
                    Me
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Thanks Deebs. You're such a sweet girl. Now I'm gonna need tips for quitting the smokes! Monday is my quit date. HELP!

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hey J-Vo, my old friend

just saw this great video of JC and the Great Master Richard Pryor, and was going to share, and now that I have logged in, seems like this is the perfect place to share it.

Humour and seriousness. It's a good combo.

Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3SkxxQmQ4&feature=related[/video]]YouTube - Carson Show- Richard Pryor

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Hey J-vo

Glad to see you back!

Ask

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

Great answers! Your grade is A+!

Limiting my drinking to special occasions has really worked for me. I feel like I have my life back. Most days, I don't think about alcohol: what freedom!!! I did allow myself multiple drinks in a week last week (I was on vacation), and Christmas week through New Years'. I had no problem wanting to drink more those weeks, no risk of falling back on old habits. On the other hand, last summer I did fall back on some of my old habits, drinking mostly just on Wednesday evening and every weekend. I didn't like it, I felt much better during my AF time. I wondered a lot if I should just stay AF. But then in September/October I worked my way down to my current schedule of occasional drinks. Presto, this is the right balance for me.

Comment

To Long-term Moderators

That was a great video, Zed. Thanks for sharing. He was such a great comedian!

Sunbeam - I told you I'm trying to stay away from A+'s! Gosh, though, every damn paper I write, test I take, I just can't seem to screw up! LOL! I would like my modding to go in your very direction. AF most of the time. Not every weekend. I don't want to fall into an "alcohol schedule" if you will. Special occasions to me will not be every Friday night or Sat. night. That's too dangerous of a road to go down. I know the tricky part will be the moderate intake on those special occasions in which I must be
                              super vigilant.

Comment

Working...
                              X