Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mod Squad Weekly Thread Beginning March 2, 2009

*** OK....Wake up, everybody!!! ***
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Well, Happy Monday everyone. I'm back! It a bitter morning here, and I'm glad that I don't have to tackle the elements right now. Some of you know that I'm a teacher, and this is the first time in my career that I've taken an educational sabbatical. That means I'm off until the beginning of the new school year which will be the end of August. I've never had time off like this and so far, it's been such a wonderful mental break. I teach 14 year-old kids, and they are a challenging group. It's a great job, don't get me wrong, but it's tiring day after day. I've decided this time is "all about me." I'm making commitments to myself, to better myself. Coming here is one of the very most important commitments - top of my list. I want to continue to learn from all of you as well as give the support and encouragement that you all deserve. My second thing on my list is that I'm seeing a therapist. I think I've come across a good guy that I'm comfortable with. It'll be good sorting through my past issues as well as present demons. My third is that I'm working on a program to help with a social anxiety disorder that I've had for over 20 years. I've gotten so much better over the years, but there are some things that I just have not been able to conquer. Now is the time for me to work on me! I thank the Lord for this precious time. He knows I need it!

My goals here are to be AF as much as possible. I'd like to have drinks on a special occasion. I think there are many forms of moderation, but this is the one that I've learned would suit my needs. The other night, I pretty much screwed up after a two week AF stint. I stupidly was not on guard and didn't keep my commitment at the top of my list. I let myself go, and I'm extremely depressed over it. I f-ed up. That is what I need to work on. That my once in a while occasion doesn't turn into a binge. I'll need help from you all, and I look forward to being here for you. Thanks Modders for welcoming me back.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hey Hey Kid and J-vo,

We had flash floods on the weekend which destroyed my newly planted fruit orchard and had most of my seedlings swiming down the river but it's nothing like what I am hearing on the radio about NY.
      I spent most of Sunday re-planting my plants in the pouring rain -- I looked quite a sight in my purple people eater frock, gumboots and drenched from head to toe, but funny thing is I had a blast out there.

Crumbs, Monday morning again. I have a fairly busy week ahead with some travelling thrown in and a business lunch which is normally on the boozy side. I phoned today and confirmed with the instructor that I am joining the Yoga class on Wednesday -- very nervous as it's a 1 1/2 hour class. Thursday night I am going to watch a screening of Eckardt Tolle's new book being discussed by Ophrah -- has anyone read it yet?

J-Vo, it's great t have you back. I so admire you for being a teacher -- I only have ONE 14 year old which drives me batty, I can only imagine what a class of them must do to you.
      Have your modding rules changed at all or being revised since you were last here? Let us know how we can help, k?

For me personally, I'd like to commit to a AF March.... anyone keen to join me?
      I have been slipping in my commitments and I need to get myself back on track... nothing serious but more a "feeling" if that makes sense? I had two glass' of wine last night (Sunday) for no good reason and I felt buzzed -- I hate that feeling!!!

Right! WHERE IS EVERYONE????

I'm off to catch up on the weekend news.....
      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi all:

I'm back from my vacationing mode and getting over being disappointed about "mystery man" checking out of the scene. I had a great time in Florida, played tennis and golf. .. dealt with my folks and will work w/ my sibs about how to help them stay on an even keel.

We're having a major snowstorm today, and I trekked into work only to find work was cancelled. .. guess I missed THAT memo! I will head home in a while for a late lunch, but since my 14 y/o is home, its not so bad to be here where it's quiet (lol). Busy week, but looking forward to getting back to a routine and getting back on my 3 mod/4 AF schedule which I relaxed for the past two weeks. It was an interesting experiment and I enjoyed all but that one upsetting night, but it's now time and I'm perfectly content, in fact WELCOME the pattern of including AF days each week.

So that's the news here. Will be more of a presence now that I'm back.
        Fondly,

Ask

Comment

Hi gang,
          I started a new thread (Is modding delusional?) so be on the look out for that one (Deebs, thanks for replying to it).
          Just wanted to streamline as the theme comes up here and there and we could get responses on many different threads.
          So, all goes well here where I am in the SW. Beautiful perfect weather today. A far cry from the cold midwest where I was born and raised. Don't miss the cold that's for sure!
          My goal for March is to be more diligent with tracking on the drinktracker and I think journaling when I do drink so I can track triggers, etc. so I can monitor things better.
          Take care all!
          Hugs,
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Great thread you started Eve. I'll be visiting there checking for people's replies. Very interested to see what advice is given.

Hi Deebs. I can actually picture you in your purple people eater frock in that weather! So funny, although sorry you lost what you'd planted. I've tried Yoga before, and it's a great work-out. It's not as easy as it looks, actually much harder, but you'll see results. Good luck with that. I haven't heard Eckardt Tolle's book. I'll have to see if I can catch Oprah - today? Yes, my modding has changed somewhat. Actually, I need to pull out my plan and reread, revise. There needs to be some tweaking involved. I'll let you know what kind of help I need. Thanks. And I'd be happy to go AF for March. Except there may be one exception if I go to dinner one night with my girlfriends. I haven't seen them in two months since I left work. That's not a guarantee we'll go to dinner as everyone is so busy, but if that comes up, I'll plan a moderate, very moderate few drinks. But AF for the month, YES!

ASK, do your folks live in sunny Florida? I just returned a few weeks ago after a visit to mom and dad. They live there 6 mo. and the weather was just gorgeous. I'll be returning in April for a short visit. I'm taking advantage of the time I have off now. And you have a 14 year old too! God Bless you!

Have a good day everyone.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

J-Vo:
              My folks are from MN and go to Florida for 3 - 4 months in the winter. They rent in Fort Meyers at a golf resort, very nice. Mom plays tennis and golf. Dad is not so active since he lost his leg to a knee replacement surgery gone bad several years ago. Dad's got the memory, Mom's got the legs - a dynamic duo @ 81!

I'll take all the prayers I can get for parenting a 14 year old. Came home from work today to find her at home w/ the boyfriend she broke up with last week. He was here to get his hat that he forgot. . . from when he was here last week. .. This is SO NOT OK: we have talked about this a million times, no boys in the house unless adults around, and I find out they were here last week without my knowing it. She is so busted.

All I hear is "I'm sorry, I'm sorry" but I don't believe a word of it.

Luckily I''m meeting with a counselor this week, which will be the beginning of joint counseling w/ her. AAAAARRRGHHHHHH.

Ask

Comment

Ask,
                It's a small world. My parents bought a house in N. Ft. Meyers. They absolutely love it, and I absolutely love visiting! It's a nice gated community called Herons Glen. I was there in Feb. and am going back in April while I'm off from work. My folks golf too.

As for 14 year olds, that's the age that I teach. They are quite the challenge. I have 125 kids throughout my day. Imagine how many girls have their damn period or are pms! Oh, gosh! They're so needy! So I can empathize with you, kind of. I have a son who's 11 and not pms at all!!!!!!

Comment

happy monday...

been so busy with work... and restructuring.. and dealing with unhappy people... and trying to be true to myself.... and keeping grounded... and all the while maintaining the mod lifestyle!!!! yippee!
                  Eve...I dont think its delusional....however, i may very well be delusional. I will check out the thread.
                  Welcome those who are new...I'm in low post mode i guess.
                  Deebs...yoga for real tues pm. I AM REALLY GOING TO ATTEND CLASS. NO EXCUSES!
                  1 1/2 hour class...wow. You really must be bendy after that!!
                  Making dinner for mr withy...he's getting ready to head out for the evening. I'll be here by the fire watching crap tv (the bachelor)...my cheesey indulgance. pure garbage for the brain!!!!
                  have a nice evening guys.....
                  -withy:l
                  a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Comment

Morning Modders!
                    Another stinker here today so the aircon and I are gonna be best buds.
                    I am amped to have an AF March. I hear you J-Vo on having that one special occassion -- my problem is I've been having too many special occassions... i find that I've been having the odd glass of wine just because I can. It was always my intention to do another 30 days AF and there never seems to be a good month, I can always find an excuse why NOT to do it this month -- so ching ching to March.

Where is Vlad? Has anyone heard or *seen* her lately??

Right, I am being very naughty by being here so early in the day. I must logg off now and go and do some work. I'll catch up with you later:-)
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Mods people;

what a day; today is my birthday, went to work (4 days AF!!!!can't remember when I went 4 days AF, must be a year), and my HUGE company announced huge layoffs; as a support person I am told I have up to 2 weeks until I am 'told' my status. As a finance type, I cannot be surprised. Nonetheless this is not a good b-day. So, up till wee hours; had some wine, which is not so good. Point being, it's an up and down, right/left effort. All of us should be admired for our attempts and I feel we will succeed given our desire. My 'b-day' input!

Comment

Damn Coolgamma, that sucks big time, I'm so sorry to hear that!!
                        Hang in there and try and make the most of your special day.

Comment

Morning,
                          Happy B-day Coolgamma! Hope you can have a great day regardless of the despair so many people are facing. Let's pray that it gets better soon.

What successes has everyone had lately with AL consumption or a decrease? I'd like to hear some good positive stuff. I can say that I've been quite successful when it comes to longer AF time in between special occasions. I think that'll be the key to my success. But along with that, I'll need to really be vigilant on those special occasions. I've been working on a program for my anxiety, and one tool that has been suggested is to reprogram your brain when you're having those negative thoughts - they call them ANTS - Automatic Negative Thought Stoppage. When a negative thought pops into your mind, you firmly but gently say to yourself out loud "Stop, I don't need that negative thought. They are not healthy for me. I will find a distraction (such as singing out loud, doing something around the house, or even just going to the bathroom). When we are offered that third drink, or think about having it, practice this technique. After several times, it may become more natural for you to turn the "off" button and move on with an AL free drink. Get up and go to the bathroom, say it out loud to yourself. We need to keep these negative thoughts from controlling us! Have a great day.

Comment

Great advice, thanks J-Vo.

I just informed hubby that March is AF for me and I he's very confused as to why I have this need to do more AF time when i am doing so well -- bless him but he really doesn't have a clue when it comes to this.

I am looking forward to a NF, AF and CF (chocolate free) March!

Comment

Deebs,
                              No one really understands our needs like we do. I understand your need to do more AF time though! My husband really doesn't completely understand either, especially when it comes to how difficult moderating can be. They've got that automatic "off" button and we don't. It takes effort to flick the switch for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X