Don't take it personally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Years ago I was in therapy for being co-dependent as my dad was a bad alcoholic.
    I remember one particular session where everyone was sharing and it was interesting to see that the common denominator was the fact that everyone felt that they were on the outside looking in at situations in their lives…friendships, work relationships…even that particular group I was sitting in at that moment!

Sometimes I wonder if we feel that way here at MWO and that that is the reason some folks leave our board. Perhaps they don’t feel a part of the group and they feel like they’re on the outside looking in as well.

I will be honest and say that sometimes my feelings are hurt when I start a new thread which I consider a great thought provoking thread and few respond. Sometimes I admit to feeling a little envious when some are bantering back and forth and seem to have a relationship that I don’t have with either or all. But then I have to tell myself: “Don’t take it personally!” “ The Four Agreements” is a good book to read because the author addresses this particular issue. He reminds us to remember that when we’re little it was so easy to feel the world was all about us. “ Me, me, me” as he says. But he then informs us that nothing is all about us. Everyone lives in their own world.

Have you ever been surprised when you’re talking to folks and you realize that they don’t know the latest gossip about you?…maybe you got engaged or something somewhat major happened good or bad and these folks don’t know! I remember being surprised by that here or there and then realizing that I am not the major topic in other folk’s conversations. The author is right!! The universe doesn’t center around me.

So here we are at MWO…strangers on a board. Most names or faces we don’t know. We usually only communicate with the written word which can be misconstrued or misunderstood. A joke may be taken wrongly and then taken as a personal attack when it was only meant to be a joke. In the real world using the proper tones and eye contact we would know it was a joke…but maybe not here.

Why this thread?

Because there have been a lot of great people on the mod boards who have come and gone. Did they take something wrong and get mad and leave? Did they feel like they were on the outside looking in?

I can only say after doing AA for 7 years and having that wonderful support group every week that I had that I do crave and need a good support group here as well. So these are my words of wisdom to old friends and new ones reading today. Come join us…don’t allow yourself to feel like an outsider…and don’t take anything that you feel is negative personally!!
    Hugs,:l
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Eve that is a wonderful post. I have spent most of my life feeling "out of the loop" in various situations. It got to the point where I really only wanted to be with my non judgemental animals.
    Since beginning this journey, I have come to realise that its not "all about me" that most people are following their own agendas and have their own problems and if I perceive something negatively, I am usually wrong.
    Thank you for beginning this thread, it will be interesting to read others points of view.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Well, THAT'S thought provoking, Eve!

Sometimes I don't post on a thought provoking thread because anything and everything I would have said has already been said!
      ~KS~
      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

:new: hi i'm a bit scared of all of you, this is my first time here but your words meant a lot to me, i always feel on the outside and drinking brought me inside ( i thought ).
        Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
        contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Hi Mollyka, welcome!
          Yes, I think thats one of the reasons I drank too.
          No need to be scared here, the support is incredible. I would not have got sober without it. Why dont you start a thread of your own and tell us a bit about yourself?

Comment

Thanks for your welcome, will do a thread when I feel strong and brave enough, not quite there yet ! Just like reading you all for the moment its like listening to myself, thanks again
            Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
            contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Mollyka, thats fine, whenever you are ready. I sometimes love to just lurk and read too.

Comment

Eve thank you for your post. I should post more often. After reading and having conversations in my head with the posters I later realize I haven't posted at all!
                vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Maybe they all decided that moderate drinking was delusional!
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Eve, thank you for such an honest post.

I felt the same as you when I first joined -- didn't know where I belonged, no one would reply/respond to my thread and my ego would be bruised and hurt by it but really over time I realised that if my thread was not read or no-one responded it was not because of me personally but just what was going on on that day. Somedays I have to really dig to find our Mod Squad thread at the bottom of the New Post's pile as there is just so much activity here.

I have also been wondering where some of our regulars have dissapeared to and can only hope that they don't "need" to post anymore and are living moderate lives.

A special welcome to Mollyka!!!
                    Keep reading and lurking all you need -- we'll be here to support you.
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Ah Sunbeam. Very good. ;-) And hello Mollyka.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

hi eve,this is a very to the heart post,in my day as a child there was no such a thing as what is wrong with our family sessions,,no time,men worked,women stayed at home with the kids,if trouble arose,normally the father took care of it when he got home ,times were different,not that what was done was rite,the list could go on,but bringing up my own family there was,for xample;my wife had our 4 kids,thank goodness i didnt have to, both of us worked,her nights,me days ,or visa verse,when troubles arose in the home as youngsters we both handled it,until the teen years,the system changed,discipline was taken away from the family,and given to the state,or in my case the province,spank your kid,its assault,kids stole in my day,they went to reform school,now they get a slap on the wrist,i could go on and on with the counseling thing,i no you no what i mean,as far as taking things wrong,something ive learned the last little while,people assume the wrong thing,i cant read someones thoughts,or cause they make a certain tone in there voice or an expression on there face,it means the worst,i am my worst enemy,my thinking has to change, and change will eventually come,i hope that makes sense gyco have a wonderful weekend

Comment

Great post Eve and very true. I have been here awhile and many of the people I started out with are long gone and I have met some great new people. It's sad to see people go especially when they are just gone and you don't know what happened to them. I am still wondering about a few myself.

It is hard to keep up with all the threads here but you just keep plugging along and soon you find one or two or maybe even more that you fit into. Posting new threads is important too. Even though many may not respond, they are reading and learning.

Again thanks for the post.
                          "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

Yes, it's very important to learn not to take outside events personally. Often they have nothing to do with you. Learning this is enormously valuable for mental health.

A lot of people come and go. sometimes it's out of anger, or they may have fallen off the wagon, or maybe the opposite, they have done so well it's time for them to leave. Internet boards are easier to leave than places where you meet in person.

As for thought-provoking posts, well sometimes these are not the ones that draw the most attention. Sometimes it's the ones about sex or some horrible argument that get the most traffic. Think of the difference between a quality newspaper and a mass-market rag like the Enquirer.

Also, if you post in this moderator section,probably less posts generally.

So don't you take it personally!

Comment

I agree with Beaches. There is so much activity on this forum, it's hard to keep up. Some people seem to spend all day on here and others come and go. It is good to tap into a couple of threads ; I find I get a response when I offer an opinion on someone's post or ask a question about something.

I've got that book somewhere the four agreements; I must look it out
                              AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X