• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 days to Nirvana...

Well, my friends, as some of you regulars know,
    I went over my limit last Monday.
    I have been AF since,
    deciding whether to adopt Sunbeam's style of Moderation.
    I am on Day Five AF.

I've always said it takes 72 hours (3 days) to do the basic detox
    and so refresh myself in groups of 3 days AF.

This time felt good on day 3
    but here on day 5; I'm starting to feel "magical".
    I'm thinking 5 days AF is the minimum number of days
    I should go AF when I'm refreshing.
    Anybody else notice that they begin to feel good
    after a certain number of days??

~Kid Shelleen~
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
    ~ Charles Spurgeon

5 days to Nirvana...

I feel way better after 7 days. I guess you already heard that from me, but it is good to post responses for others to specific questions like this. It also works better because I might consider another drink on the next weekend, which is the more social time. As you know, I avoid drinking every weekend, because that turns into a rut for me. It takes over free time in which I would rather be doing anything else instead of drinking.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

I'm not sure, I wished I'd journalled through my 30 days as I remember some were great, some not so good. But 28 is the best yet. I'm hoping to hop on over to the moderators next week, but am a bit nervous. I have a Brunch to go to next Sunday with free-flow champagne. I'd always planned to go and mod, but I'm presuming my tolerance levels will be much lower than they were? I'm thinking I'll have to be super careful, lots of water etc. I'll also have to stop my glass being 'topped up' and wait until its empty so I can have an honest number to put in my drinktracker.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread Kid - I think 5 may be your magic number, or would it be even better at 7??

B
      Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

7 might be better...

I want to be reasonable with myself.
        I am a Modder, not trying to abstain.
        I have reasonable limits for my intake, but when I go over,
        I like to flush my system, detox and refresh a little.
        I usually do 3 days (easy). 5 days took a bit of effort, but felt SO good that it's worth it.
        I don't know whether I would routinely do 7 days or not;
        but you're right.
        It probably would feel
        even better.

~Ks
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Kid

As someone what used to routinely not drink in the week, I always had 5 days each week to detox as you say. I was also routinely drinking more than a modder probably would on a saturday thus feeling bad sunday. But week in week out I felt great again by friday, which lead to me thinking it was ok to drink again at weekend!! But the point I am making is 5 days was sufficent to put me back to square one of feeling pretty good.

HOWEVER, what I have found in being AF for 14 days is interesting. After 7 I felt great of mind and body and now after 14 I genuinely feel even better. I am yet to see, but I submit it might be the longer the better, plus it gives tolerance a chance to lower which has to be a good thing.

For the record, although I a seeking to do about 8 weeks AF, I want to mod in the long run for sure. THis thread is interesting. It is making me think that I will make sure I often do 7-14 days AF.

Thoughts people....

Moo
          "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
          but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Interesting thread!

Today I am on 7 days AF and it did take a bit of effort not to drink this weekend.
            I like Sun's way of not drinking every weekend... I think I'll be adopting that after my 30 days AF.

To answer your question, I would prefer to do 7 days as it takes me to a new week and requires some effort.
            At the end of the day you know what's best for YOU!
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Cool, Kid that must of been one hell of a concert ! Ha! IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Kid- Why not try 6 days AF if you are starting to feel magical?
                I'm on day 12 and I can only say that for me it gets better and better the further away I get.
                I too want to moderate after Lent is over but I am really enjoying the no-thought process that comes from a firm commitment to being AF.
                Sometimes for me moderating I would still have the cloud of decision- making over me-can I go out and just have 2?-will I still be able to drive O.K.? Will I do or say something stupid? How will I feel in the a.m.?
                Going AF is very freeing and there is no worry about all that extra baggage to fill my mind up with.
                Toughen up!

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Delta Moon,
                  I think going AF is probably the best choice for many. Why take a risk?
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Update

Day 16 here and I just keep feeling better and better, body mind and soul. I am amazed.

Cant wait for day 55 (which is my aim for AF)

Moo
                    "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                    but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

ok, I'd like to add my 2 cents on this thought-provoking thread. After a night of "overdoing" it, it takes me a good three days to just feel like myself again. Yes, I believe age has a lot to do with it, but the alcohol depresses the system, and when you have chronic depression and anxiety, the alcohol "beasts" take advantage of that nasty hangover and let it linger on for days. More reasons to learn to use "stop" statements when we want that third or fourth glass.

And the longer the time away from Mr. AL, the better and stronger I feel. A definite positive correlation there. I believe that it's important to never drink two days in a row, because it takes double the time to start feeling good again. I think at least 7 days and I feel my best, as long as I'm eating right, exercising, and leading a mod life in all areas. But for me, drinking at least once a week has been known to cause me trouble, so again, I'm going for the Sunbeam Style of Modding. Drinks on special occasions, ya know, when it happens and feels right. Not scheduled. Rambled long enough and got off track, sorry! Gave more than my two cents.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

5 days to Nirvana...

Personally I always find the third day hardest - it's usually when i say 'stuff it' to only drinkign weekends and reach for a beer. I don't think I've ever gone much past that, so i don't have a clue whether it gets better or not xD
                        The way I change the past is by not repeating it
                        -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

Working...
                        X