Alcohol, Injury, Accidents, and Violence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Prevention Institute compiled some statistics about the contribution of alcohol consumption to injuries and fatalities that occur in the context of driving while impaired, as well as other criminal behavior. Drinking is a strong contributory factor in traffic-related deaths and injuries, all types of criminal violence (including child abuse and rape), and suicide. Here's a summary:

Looking at the total environment in which injuries and alcohol use occur reveals how much they are related. "Drinking and driving" is clearly linked to injuries. Consistently, around one-third of all traffic fatalities are attributed to crashes in which at least one of the drivers, or the pedestrian, had a blood-alcohol concentration of .10 or greater. Alcohol is also involved in an estimated 69% of boat-related drownings and a Minnesota study found that 41% of deaths resulting from falls involved alcohol.

Alcohol is also implicated in a large proportion of violent events, including between 50% and 66% of all homicides and serious assaults, in 20 to 36% of suicides, and 37% of trauma cases
    . Alcohol is also widely associated with rape and battering
    . In 217 rape cases reported to the Winnipeg, Canada police department between 1966 and 1975, 72.4% were considered alcohol-related.

A study of alcohol availability in a Santa Clara County (California) found that the highest numbers of crimes and requests for police services took place in the same census tracts as the ones with the highest concentration of alcohol outlets.

There is also an insidious connection between advertising, consumption and violence
    . Billboards, point of sale displays, and television advertisements that portray women as sexually available in conjunction with beer and other types of alcohol encourage men to drink and to sexually abuse women. There are eight times as many men as women among the heaviest drinkers, and young people aged 18 to 29, while they represent only 27% of the population, account for 45% of all adult drinking.

I wonder how many people would be in jail if it werent for drugs and alcohol.

Comment

cacky: not nearly as many as we have now. I used to work in the criminal justice system; rarely did we see a homicide in which alcohol (or other drugs, but usually alcohol) did not play a part. Not to mention rape, and other assaults...

Comment

How many divorces are caused by alcoholism? At least 30%, I think...

Comment

Alcohol is now the leading cause of admission to hospital in Scotland...

BBC NEWS | Scotland | Drink link to hospital admissions
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

That is shocking, Marshy. And when you think of how many of those people have children, the numbers of humans affected gets much bigger.

Comment

Yes all those things go hand-in-hand ! IAD
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

WIP,
                My hubby fell on ice in Jan and broke a rib (drinking); he fell a week ago down the stairs and was unconsious for at least an hour (that was the morning after 2 days of very heavy drinking). His ribs have been broken 3-4 times in the time I have know him and they are all alcohol related falls. One day, I expect, he'll break his neck. I do worry about him but right now my job is to "detach"......
                "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

There was some debate a while back when a program called Horizon aired an hour long show in this country entitled "Is Alcohol Worse Than Ecstasy". One of the research scientists involved in that program stated "If alcohol was a new drug today it would definitely be illegal" The program was aimed at looking at the classification system of drugs as a whole including legal ones like tobacco and alcohol. I still agree that alcohol has much more of a social impact than MANY drugs and the statistics above only go to prove that.

If we could actually 'feel' the effect of alcohol on our livers I think a lot of people would think twice before picking up another drink too.

Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

when i was little, my mom worked for a women's shelter where she had to go to the house (or wherever the woman and kids were) and take them to the shelter and they found out that at least 95% of the time, alcohol was involved in the violence...same with friends i have that wouldn't normally hurt a fly, but add alcohol and it's like dr. jekyll and mr. hyde...now pot on the other hand...

Comment

If it weren't for alcohol or drugs the police would be out of work. No shit. I had this very conversation with a friend last week.

There wouldn't be much domestic violence, crimes, homicides, assaults, murders, etc... if either were not in the picture.

It is all about politics.............. agree to disagree; but it is a sad reality.
                      If you want something bad enough - you can achieve it!

Comment

Working...
                      X