X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even low to moderate alcohol consumption increases risk for cancer

Interesting link, Mo. Thanks. I clipped a bit of it and am pasting it here for those who don't feel like reading the whole thing:

Even low to moderate alcohol consumption significantly increases the risk of cancer, both overall and at specific sites, according to results from the Million Women Study conducted in the UK [1].

The women in the study were middle-aged (median age 55 years), and 75% said they drank alcohol, consuming—on average—one drink per day (10-g alcohol). Very few drank more than three or more drinks per day, and there was no difference between wine or other drinks, such as spirits, although most women drank wine.

Each drink significantly increased the risk for cancer, the researchers found.

These latest "fascinating" findings should give pause for thought, say the editorialists [2]. Although the medical dangers of too much alcohol are well-known and have been known for a long time, in recent years there has been increasing research to suggest that small amounts may be beneficial to cardiovascular health, which has led to some promotion of drinking to maintain heart health.

Comment

Sometimes, as I am out grocery shopping, I get a bit tempted to get a bottle, you know, I think, oh the French drink, heart health, blah blah blah....I am not saying I will never drink again, far from it, but this is at once sobering news, and good motivation to just not venture into the wine aisle!
      I don't often think about it, but lots of people do depend on me, and I want to live a long, healthy life!
      Thanks!
      Lila

Comment

There is SO much information...

And in the end; it is an individuals' responsibility to sift through it all and make a responsible decision; the decision that works best for the individual and his/her situation.
        Rather than trash up this thread the way the "Beer" thread suffered the other day, with opposing viewpoints or rebuttals, I am just going to edit or add info to the already existing threads concerned with the benifits or positve effects of moderate drinking.
        People can read it if they want to; and not read it, if they don't.
        I hope that is fair.
        ~Kid~

PS: It would be a nice effort if you would simply respect another point of view displayed in the other research articles and not trash up the other threads again. Thanks
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

I guess I am just wondering what your motivation is, but I suppose it is 'fair.'

Comment

Kid Shelleen;568331 wrote: And in the end; it is an individuals' responsibility to sift through it all and make a responsible decision; the decision that works best for the individual and his/her situation.
            Rather than trash up this thread the way the "Beer" thread suffered the other day, with opposing viewpoints or rebuttals, I am just going to edit or add info to the already existing threads concerned with the benifits or positve effects of moderate drinking.
            People can read it if they want to; and not read it, if they don't.
            I hope that is fair.
            ~Kid~
            You can post what you like Kid. I don't think there are moderators here (no pun intended). :H

I will say though that if most of us were responsible, we wouldn't be here posting on a site designed to help people with their alcohol addiction/problem. For most of us here, it is not ok to drink moderately at all. There are members here who are also trying to deal with the negative medical effects of their drinking problem. As a matter of fact, it could very well kill us or destroy our marriages and families.

Almost all of us who abstain have tried to mod and have failed. If you are able to mod, I wish you the best. It is a free country, so no one is going to stop you from posting whatever topics you like. I will feel free to do the same.

Comment

Mohun;568399 wrote: You can post what you like Kid. I don't think there are moderators here (no pun intended). :H

I will say though that if most of us were responsible, we wouldn't be here posting on a site designed to help people with their alcohol addiction/problem. For most of us here, it is not ok to drink moderately at all. There are members here who are also trying to deal with the negative medical effects of their drinking problem. As a matter of fact, it could very well kill us or destroy our marriages and families.

Almost all of us who abstain have tried to mod and have failed. If you are able to mod, I wish you the best. It is a free country, so no one is going to stop you from posting whatever topics you like. I will feel free to do the same.
              i agree, post all the research info you want kid, but i know that i can't mod...if i could i wouldn't be here on this site where we are hoping to cut out or greatly reduce our dependance or addiction to the very product you are touting is good for us.

i read the posts becasue i am genuinely interested, but i know that it could potentially give someone a slight push towards drinking, when they probably shouldn't (their choice, of course). i just think this promotion of alcohol is slightly odd on a forum such as this.

Comment

Don't drink,Peacenik...ever!

Peacenik,
                Like everyone else who takes advantage of this wonderful site,
                I know you have probably read RJs book and story,
                so you know
                MWO was started for people who want to moderate.

It's OK if the ABBers are here and they choose to utilize MWO to abstain.
                When they continuously condemn ANY intake of alcohol it starts to get on my nerves,
                so I defend the Modder Lifestyle that RJ has helped me achieve and maintain.
                I don't PROMOTE alcohol.
                If someone thinks they shouldn't drink; I COMPLETELY AGREE.
                THEY shouldn't drink!!
                How's that?
                ~Kid~

peacenik;568496 wrote:
                .... but i know that it could potentially give someone a slight push towards drinking, when they probably shouldn't (their choice, of course). i just think this promotion of alcohol is slightly odd on a forum such as this
                ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Everything causes cancer ! Your either going to get it or not ! I've eaten enough asbestos to kill a horse.........my job had to deal with it. I made a good living for my family, if it kills me.....well that's the way it goes. IAD
                  ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                  those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

That's right IAD..

But I wanted someone else to say it...Thanks!!
                    ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid Shelleen;568555 wrote: Peacenik,
                      Like everyone else who takes advantage of this wonderful site,
                      I know you have probably read RJs book and story,
                      so you know
                      MWO was started for people who want to moderate.

It's OK if the ABBers are here and they choose to utilize MWO to abstain.
                      When they continuously condemn ANY intake of alcohol it starts to get on my nerves,
                      so I defend the Modder Lifestyle that RJ has helped me achieve and maintain.
                      I don't PROMOTE alcohol.
                      If someone thinks they shouldn't drink; I COMPLETELY AGREE.
                      THEY shouldn't drink!!
                      How's that?
                      ~Kid~
                      Just posting research the same as you KS. Sorry you find it annoying. Some of us find it annoying that you are promoting the consumption of a substance that is the subject of the substance abuse site. But hey, it's a free country.

Comment

Kid Shelleen;568579 wrote: But I wanted someone else to say it...Thanks!!
                        Kid......what am I chopped liver ! Ha! IAD
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

See that's how messages get misconstrued...

IAD,
                          I mean I didn't want to bring it up MYSELF..
                          I'm glad YOU brought it up,
                          you ARE "somebody else":H
                          ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Working...
                          X