Alcohol and sleep disruption.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this one interesting as it applies to myself. A friend and I were discussing his sleep issue the other day. He sleeps fine for the first half of the night and is restless for the last half. He needs to nap during the day (just like I used to do). He drinks almost as much as I used to do.

I believe a lack of sleep was responsible for a lot of my physical problems (heart palpitations). What surprised me about this information is it talks about even small amounts of alcohol disrupting sleep (no, I'm not trying to instigate a mod/abs fight :l). But I do believe sleep disruption (whatever the cause) is responsible for a host of ailments.

Alcohol and Sleep - Alcohol Alert No. 41-1998

Alcohol and Sleep in Those Without Alcoholism

Alcohol consumed at bedtime, after an initial stimulating effect, may decrease the time required to fall asleep. Because of alcohol's sedating effect, many people with insomnia consume alcohol to promote sleep. However, alcohol consumed within an hour of bedtime appears to disrupt the second half of the sleep period (7). The subject may sleep fitfully during the second half of sleep, awakening from dreams and returning to sleep with difficulty. With continued consumption just before bedtime, alcohol's sleep-inducing effect may decrease, while its disruptive effects continue or increase (8). This sleep disruption may lead to daytime fatigue and sleepiness. The elderly are at particular risk, because they achieve higher levels of alcohol in the blood and brain than do younger persons after consuming an equivalent dose. Bedtime alcohol consumption among older persons may lead to unsteadiness if walking is attempted during the night, with increased risk of falls and injuries (3).

Alcoholic beverages are often consumed in the late afternoon (e.g., at "happy hour" or with dinner) without further consumption before bedtime. Studies show that a moderate dose1 of alcohol consumed as much as 6 hours before bedtime can increase wakefulness during the second half of sleep. By the time this effect occurs, the dose of alcohol consumed earlier has already been eliminated from the body, suggesting a relatively long-lasting change in the body's mechanisms of sleep regulation (7,8).

The adverse effects of sleep deprivation are increased following alcohol consumption. Subjects administered low doses of alcohol following a night of reduced sleep perform poorly in a driving simulator, even with no alcohol left in the body (9,10). Reduced alertness may potentially increase alcohol's sedating effect in situations such as rotating sleep-wake schedules (e.g., shift work) and rapid travel across multiple time zones (i.e., jet lag) (9). A person may not recognize the extent of sleep disturbance that occurs under these circumstances, increasing the danger that sleepiness and alcohol consumption will co-occur.

Mo, I find my sleep is interrupted each time I had a drink or a few drinks. I also slept fine for the first half of the night but; I woke up at about 3am and tossed and turned until it was time to get up. Even if I had only one glass of wine - I still slept very poorly.

By lunch time I was dragging my ass..... feeling really burnt out, eyes were dry, and could use a nap.

When I drank, I would have horrible heart palpitations and had anxiety attacks the following day. Once the alcohol had been removed, all would disappear. Go figure.

Thanks again for the information. I have learned quite a bit these past two days on what affects AL has on the body.

Comment

Oh, yes, this was one of the worst things, for me. At some point, not sure how or when this happened (it crept up on me, like every other aspect of this damn condition), I began waking up at 3 or 3:30 every morning, unable to get back to sleep... still semi-intoxicated, and semi-hung over. Really a rotten feeling. After I quit drinking I still had that same every morning wake-up time (but fortunately without the hangover, etc.), and still unable to sleep any more... it took over a month before my sleep patterns got back to normal. What a relief it was, too.

Comment

This is the most...

...disturbing thing about drinking.
        I have ALWAYS had trouble sleeping.
        Drinking more than the smallest, moderated amount makes it worse.
        Alcohol is terrible for satisfying sleep...MOST OF THE TIME
        If you can't sleep after drinking, or drinking a certain amount; reduce that amount or stop...sleep is too precious to mess with!
        Thanks for the article..I collect all things "sleep".
        ~KS~
        It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
        ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Kid Shelleen;568709 wrote: ...disturbing thing about drinking.
          I have ALWAYS had trouble sleeping.
          Drinking more than the smallest, moderated amount makes it worse.
          Alcohol is terrible for satisfying sleep...MOST OF THE TIME
          If you can't sleep after drinking, or drinking a certain amount; reduce that amount or stop...sleep is too precious to mess with!
          Thanks for the article..I collect all things "sleep".
          ~KS~
          Well see, there is something we agree on. I think sleep disruption is huge in relation to a persons overall health. I sent the article to my friend (whom I am trying to encourage to try 30 days AF). He says he will do the 30 days starting March 17th.

By the way, my ego is bigger....

Comment

Ha Ha!

It's OK...I KNEW that. Only people with a big ego even bother to bring it up!
            Mohun;568712 wrote:
            ...By the way, my ego is bigger....
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

i would wake up almost every hour after 2 am and have massive anxiety attacks about health, life, death anything really...that is the main reason i stopped drinking, it was that bad.

Comment

I can so relate to this. I am also not a great sleeper, but the longer that I am AF, the deeper and sweeter my sleep. I also found that when I drank, my dreams were often paranoid, almost psychotic. I was much more prone to nightmares. I am sure that it was in part due my overwhelming guilt and shame.

Comment

veritas, i totally know what you mean, i would wake up froma nightmarish dream and the anxiety would continue and keep me awake for hours. total turmoil about how i was killing myself with alcohol, guilt about drinking willfully (my mom died from cancer and i always felt guilty that i was "choosing" to harm myself with al), fear that i would leave my 10 year old without a mom etc...just remembering all this helps keep me from drinking!

Comment

YES YES YES Can relate to practically every one of these sleep comments. Now my sleep is Ok and lasts all night. Trouble is I still have trouble waking up and getting going. Probably nothing to do with the AL but still frustrating as I would love to be able to bounce out of bed fresh and alert......
                    AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

I don't know......when I drank I pretty much just passed out ! Ha! IAD.
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Mo - thank you so much for posting this. When I was drinking a 750ml of wine every night I had terrible nights sleep. During the day I had to take a nap around 2:00 or I couldn't function. Sure, I would 'pass out' around 11:00 p.m. and wake up always around 3:00 a.m. to use the bathroom. After that, I couldn't get back to sleep and the cycle would continue day after day. Even the rare one or 2 glasses of wine would interrupt my sleep!! Now, 2 weeks sober I've been sleeping like a newborn babe every night! Waking up early and refreshed. It's a wonderful thing this sobriety.
                        When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                        -- Franklin D Roosevelt --

Comment

3 AM

This waking up at 3 or 3:30 in the morning has always amazed me ever since I found this site. It seems to be the most common time for people, which tells us that AL is impacting our sleep cycles in some pretty common and predictable ways. Now, every time I wake up in the morning at 6 or 7 and realize that I wasn't awake at 3:00, it feels miraculous. Every once in a while I'll still wake up at 3:00 (old disrupted cycles die hard), but the difference is that whenever it does happen these days, I can immediately go back to sleep.

I also started having heart palpitations near the end and went to the Dr. -- they did tons of tests and found everything to be OK, but no one bothered to ask anything about my sleep habits, or diet or AL. I imagine people lie to doctors all the time, but at least they might pick up on a few people every week if they would just ask.

Comment

More info on this topic:

BBC NEWS | Health | Drinkers 'ignorant of sleep woes'
                            sigpic
                            AF since December 22nd 2008
                            Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

i get aweful insomnia every time i stop drinking it sometimes lasts 2 or 3 nights with no sleep at all but then it subsides

Comment

Working...
                              X