Jack Cafferty's New Book: Now or Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT/CORRECTION: THIS BOOK IS NOT ENTIRELY ABOUT HIS ALCOHOLISM... MOSTLY ABOUT AMERICAN POLITICS... HE TALKS ABOUT HIS RECOVERY FROM ALCOHOL DEPENDENCE IN THE BOOK, HOWEVER.... !

Jack Cafferty (CNN Commentator) has a new book out [IN WHICH HE DISCUSSES HIS] about his alcoholism. Click here for info.

Here's an excerpt, from the promo blurb:

There was a relentless, unspoken tension between us caused by the chemical I was addicted to. Eventually, your personality splits apart; you're living a lie and a scary double life. It requires tremendous mental energy to stay in that game and keep living that lie, all the more so with two young kids in the house bearing witness to the worst of it. You know you're not fooling anyone, least of all your spouse. And as my ability to handle the booze diminished over time, I needed more of it, and it began to consume me. I just wanted to walk through my career and do the drinking; do the marriage and do the drinking; do the parenting and do the drinking. How many drinks do you have at dinner when you go out? Do you drink at home before you go out and have more drinks at dinner? What about after dinner?

It finally came crashing down on me when Leslie and Leigh were eight and four, respectively. The handwriting wasn't on the wall; it completely covered the wall -- and it said, Game over, Charlie. You pushed this to the extreme, and if you keep going, your life, your marriage, your health, your relationship with your kids, and your career are all going to disappear.

I was forty-five years old when I decided to turn my life around. I had watched my parents grow old with their addictions and die broke and alone.

I was at a fork in the road. For inspiration I drew on the courageous example of my uncle Jack, who went cold turkey the morning after a scary, booze-fueled incident nearly got him into some serious trouble.
    Sounds, familiar, doesn't it? It does, to me...

As a 43 year old with two kids and a job, I say very very very very very familiar!
    AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

The blurb on the UK Amazon site says this book is about his take on American politics...........

Comment

Joanna;569161 wrote: The blurb on the UK Amazon site says this book is about his take on American politics...........
        hmm.... weird! I just looked at the CNN blurb... maybe the book is more an autobiography, with parts of it about his alcoholism??? I dunno...

Comment

OK here's what the publisher says:
          In Now or Never, bestselling author Jack Cafferty catalogs the fallout of eight years of Bush lunacy and a dismal legacy that runs the gamut from Fallujah and foreclosure to Katrina, Gitmo, and pain at the gas pump. What happens next?

The curmudgeonly Cafferty applies his heat-seeking scrutiny to the hot-button issues that will top the 2009 agenda, including the economy, China, Iraq, the war on terror, and our broken immigration, education, and healthcare systems. Will our new president turn things around or will it be business as usual?

Powerful, provocative, and drawing on the latest news from America and around the world, Now or Never makes lively reading for Cafferty fans and everyone who cares about America today.
          Clearly it is not all about his alcoholism! Sorry, everyone!

Comment

I wondered if UK Amazon had got it wrong or CNN....... CNN definitely says AL; Amazon politics. Jury still out! Anyway it looks like an interesting story; his AL that is.....

Comment

Working...
            X