Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

advice on pain after work out

hello,
    i'm booking classes at my local gym starting with a step class, i have done these in the past but not for a long time now. I know my muscles will be killing me tomorrow as i've been so inactive for ages. is there any way of easing this? or is it just a pain barrier that i need to get through until my body gets used to it again??

ta shelley xxx

Hi Shelley, good move on getting fit.
    My advice would be to make sure you do plenty of stretching after your work out. You will probably still feel a bit stiff but it should help to work the lactic acid out of your muscles. Its the build up of this that causes the pain.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

thanks starting,

i can just see it now..... step, two, three four..... BANG!!! :upset:

ha ha, i';ll just get back up off the floor.. dont mind me... :H

Comment

My advice Shelley avoid it at all cost !! Pain hurts.......... Or take 2 of these and call me in the morning.......wait let's make that don't call me in the morning, just take 2 more ! Ha! IAD.
        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
        Dr. Seuss

Comment

ibuprofen helps lessen inflammation

Comment

I'm with IAD, I hate working out, I don't mind doing something like running or walking the dogs, etc., but I abhor working out.

Comment

WATER, WATER,WATER to flush those toxins out. Also lots of protein to help build that muscle up! Best time is 30 min. after your workout 30 grams or so of good lean protein. Then more water!
              Toughen up!

Comment

You can soak in a hot bath of a couple cups of epsom salts for 20 minutes.
                sigpic
                Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

glass of water with two spoons of sugar and plenty of juice ( in another glass, after )

Comment

Shelley, keep moving and stretching the next day. Usually the worst pain comes on day 2 after exercising, so stretching on day 1 after exercising helps a lot. Like Greeneyes suggested too a nice warm bath to soak away the pain.

Comment

When you work a muscle to the limit, it develops micro-injuries. When it repairs the damage, having enough time and material, it goes a little future and reinforces that muscle a little, to prevent you from having that 'micro-injury' in the future.

Drink at least 8 glasses of pure water a day, by small portions during the day - it improves your metabolism and helps your muscles to recover. Add a little extra protein as well.

Muscles take between 4-7 days to fully recover from a workout and another 2-3 days for over-compensation to take place.

I find that day 3 is the worst pain, and no matter how much I stretch it doesn't change that. I do however find keeping moving does help and I stretch in any case as it is good for me.

Ibuprofen would help or a good old fashioned bath it what I like.

MB
                      x

Comment

HI Shelley

I'll go for StartingOver's advice. I think that's the proper way to do it. Besides having been sedentary for quite sometime means you have to do it the hard way to keep up with your age bracket. You get what I'm saying?

Comment

L Glutamine will help with this AND alcohol cravings.....I lOVE the stuff!
                          Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                          - George Jackson

Comment

you will be sore the day after, but there is a phenomenon that cannot be explained right now and it is called DOMS (delayed onset of muscle soreness) it occurs 48 hours after your initial workout. This is when you will be most sore. You want to get potassium in your body to counteract this. i.e. banana's, chicken breasts, potatoes. Anyways don't be turned down by this soreness it is normal and will subside with regular exercise. GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Working...
                            X