Anti-drinking drugs and binge drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I originally posted this as a response to another thread. Apologies - I'm still learning my way around the site.

:welcome:

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum of if I don't understand the protocol.

I've been a moderate drinker for most of my adult life, although it has never been a problem until the past few years. Three years ago, my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and things went downhill from there for me. There was a time when I never consumed more than 3 drinks a day, and I never drank before 6pm. After my mother's diagnosis, my drinking more than doubled. Some people would suggest that I'm drinking to cover the pain, which is partially true. However, I need to admit that it's turned into a problem. Over the past year, it's not uncommon for me to drink too much at night, and get up the next day and suggest to my wife the we go out to brunch - in order for me to have a beer or glass of wine to deal with the hangover. Since my mother died in January - on my birthday - it's been downhill from there.

I've tried Campral in the past, and it has worked for me. However, the stress in my life always led me back to the bottle. I've also tried Topamax, but I felt lousy when I took it, so I quickly gave it up. I'm starting a new course of treatment on Naltrexone tomorrow, and I have high hopes.

I know that what I'm about to say has probably been said a thousand times on this Web site. But, I don't consider myself to be an alcoholic. (I know, denial ain't just a river in Egypt!) I'm struggling to deal with my mother's death. But, I know I have a problem. I'll keep this forum posted on my success with Naltrexone. Thanks so much in advance for your support and understanding.

hopefully this site will help you figure out what your triggers are and how to deal with them and your emotions.

i lost my mom to cancer on x-mas eve 2005 and drank alot without really realizing i was in a grieving state. i feel i almost didn't grieve properly because i drank my way through it. i am an alcoholic

welcome and i hope you get what you need from mwo!

peace

Comment

Peacenik,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'm going to go ahead and admit that I probably am an alcoholic! What's a better definition than someone who drinks too much and can't stop!

Peace to you.

Rocketman

Comment

self awareness is a good thing!

Comment

Hi Rocketman and welcome to you!
          I dont know much about the meds but I hope the Nal helps you. There are a number of people using it here with lots of success. I hope its the same for you!
          PS my drinking got out of control when my mum was diagnosed with cancer too.
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Peacenik-
            One of the things I love about places like this is the opportunity to share experiences- like you, Ive been though some of the same only a year behind. On the day after Christmas 2006 I lost my Mom (well, she lost....the fight wasnt mine, I was merely ringside) to cancer. While Ive been a heavy drinker most of my adult (and teen to some extent) life, having to deal with that loss pulled all the stops for me. Congrats on your recent decision to be NF- I know that to be nearly tougher than giving up anything else.
            While there's life, there's hope.
            -Cicero

Comment

Welcome Rocketman!

We all have our stories and reasons - I'm sorry about the loss of your Mom. I lost my sister to cancer at 42 and 6 months later my partner of many year from ALS. Year from hell and a great excuse to live in the bottle.

I also hate the term alcoholic - so I use problem drinker. Whatever, as long as you really there is an issue and are prepared to do something about it, half the battle is won.

I'm also a Topa dropout - side effects were too much for me as well.

If you are just starting out on Nal, you may want to read the thread here on the Sinclair Method. It's a very different concept on using that medication. I am currently waiting for my meds to arrive (had to order from River) and I've just received the book yesterday.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you on the other forum as well!

WTE

Comment

Hi Rocket and :welcome:

My drinking also worsened considerably when my dad died from cancer, and like Peacenik, I don't think I allowed myself to grieve as I was too drunk, or I got so drunk as I could not face the grief- one or the other.

I am on Naltrexone following the Sinclair Method- I am just starting my 5th week, and my results are awesome- please read through all the Sinclair threads, it is a mild drug with very few side effects if any, but it does require you continue to drink for a time although you will probably find your intake drops quite sharply of it's own accord.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Comment

amazing how similar we all really are!
                  we're all just people, eh?

peace!

Comment

My mom died the day after Valentines and my dad the day before St Pat's Day. I have been on Naltraxone since Dec although only following Sinclair since January. I was pretty discouraged for awhile after a honeymoon period of a few weeks. I realize now that Nal is quite helpful even though I still drink every day and wish I had more control.
                    Keep posting and good luck. We are all here to help each other.

Comment

hart used to do all the bumping work!!!!

Comment

Rocketman

I have decided that the label I put on myself is not important anymore. The thing that is important is that I do not like the way I drink and need to change that. Whether that means AF or moderation, I cannot love myself and drink the way I was drinking. Nor can I love the people around me. I used the alcohol to numb as well. Ready to face life again and am enjoying my sparkling water with lime.

Good luck to you friend.
                        Myra

Comment

I wonder if maybe having those three drinks a day might be more of a problem than you think ? Most people do not drink every day ! I think that daily drinking 3 drinks indicates a dependance on alcohol and it only needed a significant stressor in your life to turn your dependance into a more undeniable problem. I dislike the word alcoholic too but sometimes we need to categorise ourselves in order to accept our need to make what may be painful changes in our lives. Why not just quit drinking - or would that be very difficult? If it would be very difficult - well, why would that be I wonder .....?

Comment

HA HA HA

:new:Well stated! Love it. It is what it is. And, what would your mom want for you? :groupluv::goodluck:
                            rocketman;569692 wrote: Peacenik,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I'm going to go ahead and admit that I probably am an alcoholic! What's a better definition than someone who drinks too much and can't stop!

Peace to you.

Rocketman

Comment

Very smart LADY. I'm not into the label thing either. However, I am going to run to the store for Perrier. Thanks for reminding me of alternatives!

Comment

Working...
                              X