Don't Let's Go To the Dogs Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a memoir that I just loved. Among other things, it's about growing up in Africa (Rhodesia, Zambia, and other places) in a family that includes an alcoholic mother. Incredibly funny in parts, excruciating in parts (sometimes, both at the same time), and very, very well-written.

Click here for the Amazon USA link.

And I love the title: "Don't Let's Go To the Dogs Tonight (For Mother Will Be There)." Reminds me of my own childhood (unfortunately!).

I see that now she has changed the subtitle to the much tamer "An African Childhood" instead of "For Mother Will Be there"!!! Too bad... the original one really spoke to me!

Dogs Tonight

Ah WIP I've got that on the shelves somewhere as well! That's the trouble with having a bookshop! Also if someone mentions a book I HAVE to look it out; its an itch I gotta scratch.
    AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Joanna, you have an ACTUAL bookshop? My house only resembles a bookshop... and they are my favorite places...

Comment

I luv this forum, you are always making me go online to Albris and buying books!~ I read voraciously! And a lot of times I don't know how to pronounce the words though know their meaning.

As a youth I had a phase I read romances. I couldn't understand why the name Penelope was used. I read it as PIN A Lope didn't seem romantic to me, rather clunky. Dear me.:H

Comment

Yeah for my sins I have a fantastic one full to the brim of old books, new books, antiquarian stuff and all you can think of. Oh and we also have music..........

My husband says no more books in house or one book in one book out. I said OK clear out the AL and I will clear the books. No news yet!!!!!

I have so many books in the shop we are trying to find new premises to house them all.

Comment

A bookshop! my favorite hiding place or for what I call a mini-vacation. I can lose myself for hours in a good bookshop. Not the Barnes and Noble type but the kind you have, Joanna. Heaven!
            Toughen up!

Comment

Forgot you, WIP- thanks for sharing the memoir. Sad, but true for some of us.............
              Toughen up!

Comment

i LOVED this book!!!

i think i read it twice...now she lives in wyoming somewhat close to where i live!

Comment

my dream is to own a shop...i am a bibliophile as well and what better place than a shop that smells of books!!!
                  i love the scene in "hannah and her sisters" where...what is his name...oh man i'm blanking...anyway the guy who is in love with hanna's sister played by barbara hershey, reads her the poem "noone, not even the rain has such tiny hands" in that awesome bookshop in new york...jeeze, i need to get out of the house!!!

Comment

The smell of a bookshop is the best thing in the world. Old shops smell different to new ones but they are both great. I do love Barnes and Noble type shops as well as types like mine 'cos I love all the clean gorgeous covers on all the books...

In the UK there is a place called Hay on Wye which is a tiny tiny town with over 30 secondhand bookshops. It is heaven!!:h

Comment

Working...
                    X