Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday, August 10th

Mornin' there, Abbers!

Just popping in for a quick hello--helloooo! Was reading something yesterday and wanted to share it:

"As in most ads for drinking, smoking, gambling, and other addictions, the truth is quite the opposite of the promise. Alcohol and tobacco do not render a person more sophisticated, affluent, healthy and fit, physically and sexually athletic, or socially skillful. The devilish reality of addiction is that the euphoria offers at best a compelling but temporary illusion of happiness and well-being, a euphoria that fades with time and tolerance until the person must use just to get back to neutral.

"In the language of psychology, addiction is a progressive displacement of everything else in life. The addict spends increasing time with the addiction (acquiring it, using it, recovering from its effects), and less time doing other things once valued, pleasurable, or meaningful."*

Ain't it the truth, my fellow Abbers?! Especially that part about "the progressive displacement of everything else in life." There sure wasn't room for anything else
    --much less, "things once valued, pleasurable or meaningful"--with alcohol in my life.

So, today I want to remember to be grateful that I found a way to reclaim all the meaningful things in my life!
    (And even when I'm not so grateful, let me remember to be grateful! )

:h
    susan

(Excerpted from: Spirituality and Health, "Spirituality as an Antidote for Addiction," October 2003.)
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Thursday, August 10th

Good to see you, Living in LA! I think I was starting this new thread at the same time as your post for Wednesday...please try to copy it to Thursday's thread so that it doesn't get overlooked...

And, congratulations on getting to Day 3! I know it's been tough but hang in there, be gentle with yourself--and keep on posting here! We're here for you!
    :l
    susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Morning Susan and the rest of absville

That is so true..since i have been AF (day 15 now) i have begun to enjoy and appreciate all the things that i simply could not be bothered doing when i was drinking. Take this morning for example im up nice and early feeling all refreshed and im off to the gym...i would never have sufaced before lunch time before and would have only ventured out to buy more alcohol! I like the new me much better.
      Have a good day abbers, speak later.

Lots a love

Lou Lou x x x
      "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

spot on susan.

I heard another one where someone said something like.. its too late if you are sniffing the roses from the back of the hearse...

We are who we are and we better get on with it.
        Onwards and Upwards Absters.
        Brigid

PS.. I get so confused when the day changes for you all in the US and I'm still in the same day!!! the challenges we have eh!!!!! (smile).

PPS.. found this interesting article... its quite long
        http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...se_denial.html

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Morning Absville!

Good morning fellow Abbers!

It's good to see everyone! Thanks for the post, Susan. It is true! One of the things that I like to do is remember who I was before drinking took over my life. Of course, I won't be exactly the same, and it takes a while to mourn what used to seem like a good friend, but drinking the way I drank and a fulfilling life were NOT compatible!!

Anyway, I ended up late last night reading and paying the price this AM, but otherwise, I'm feeling encouraged. I've gotten a few new clients and three sewing volunteers for flags.

Lou, it is great to see you doing so well and going to the gym!

Congrats on Day 3 Living in LA! Hang tight!

And thanks for the article, Brigid! I get confused too about what time it is for you compared to here!!! I have to content myself with the fact that I am glad that you are out there in the world, and that makes me HAPPY, no matter what freaking time it is, girlfriend!:heart:

And for everyone else, not yet posted, have a great day!

I work until 8 tonight--these late nights sure are helpful in cutting in on craving time!!! It's good that I have some flexibility in arranging my work that way and taking some of the choice out of my hands!

Hugs,
          Kathy:l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

AM check in!

I love being over here so far! So much excellent advice and reminders of WHY we are abstaining. So much insight into HOW to abstain and feel good about it. Great stuff!
            I was talking to another fellow MWOer yesterday about reading the abs thread when you are moderating (or TRYING) to moderate. You get a sense of "oh, wow, that sounds great, but I don't think I can do it" or "I can't totally relate because I'm hungover today....". While I'm still a little envious of the people who have been abstaining successfully AND ARE HAPPY ABOUT IT!!, I look forward to feeling a little better. Maybe in a few days. Still a little uncomfortable in my own skin, here.
            Well, no cravings yesterday. Officially day 3 of abs today. Think I may post in the AM to get a jump on the day, then in the PM to reconfirm my commitment, if that's ok with you guys.
            Susan, loved your post! So poignant to me.
            Lou, you sound awesome! Keep it up! Lots of sentiments I can relate to as well, in your post about being able to get up early, be more productive. I was doing that with the first about 5 months/ 6 months of good moderation. These last few weeks, I have had quite a few days where I felt "off" (read: hangover), and have been less than productive.
            Kathy, sorry you have to work so late, but keeping busy til 8pm is a great plan to curb that drinkin!
            Brigid, cheers with my coffee cup to onward and upward!

Looking forward to hearing from the rest of you. I'm going to do my running today (will probably be DYING, but gotta get back on track, no matter what. Race is in a few wks!), go to the pool with the kids, write all my bills (booooooooo), laundry, just keep myself busy in general and not give in.

:thanks: , and will check in later.

PS: this does get a bit easier, right???

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Hi all,
              Traveling to Tennessee today. Oh goodie, glad all this stuff is goin on at the airports. I will be able to check in where I am at just not as often. I think. Everyone have a great day. gabby
              Gabby :flower:

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Morning All

Good morning everyone!

What great information Susan. Its so true -- sometimes I cannot even remember what I really enjoyed doing before alcohol! WOW:eeks:

I had about two weeks of abs and then some social situations where I had 2-3 glasses of wine. I felt OK with it the first few times bec/ I got back to abs. Then I slacked off and had drinks a few nights in a row -- not alot, but every night for 5 nights. So, that I am sure was contributing to my "down in the dumps" state. Its unreal how many times you have to do the same stupid behavior before you say "Hey, dumby...cut it out!" So, I think I have to abstain even in some upcoming social situations until I have a solid period of abs. Its too easy for me to get lax when I tell myself its OK here and there.....it sets up the fall. :durn:

So, Day 1. AGAIN. But I have already had a productive morning gardening. Off to do more chores. Have a great day everyone!:h

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Oh Gabby!!!! I feel for you! IKES! What a nightmare travel is today! No toothpaste?? No water bottle, etc...etc...?? That's tough. I'll pray your luggage doesn't get lost or you get stranded somewhere you didn't plan like my last 2 flights over the past 2 months. Better safe and cautious I guess! Crazy world we live in! So thankful my travel is over for now! Great timing fellow NY buddies! Great reminder Susan...loved it. Brigid..the article hit home for me. Thanks! This is Day 2 for me. Felt some urges on my way home from work yesterday to drink....but called Becca from the traffic I was sitting in and she helped straighten me out!! You are the BEST! NMW...we are all in this struggle together. Hang in there today and stay close. I know I will! Love it when I feel connected to Absville. This is so powerful! Love to ya all! Gina:thanks:

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

I know Gina, This is gonna me me today at the airport.

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Good morning!
                      Made it through Day 9. It was really, really tough at 5:30. The white wine was calling my name so loudly. I was very anxious. So I ran nearly 3 miles. When I got back home, I was fine. After 8 p.m., I'm always fine. Just have to figure out how to get through those trigger times. Lunch is one of them, which is strange because I'm not a typical lunchtime imbiber. And then just after work from 5 until 8 is the other.
                      Pleased to be on Day 10 now. Whew.
                      Good luck with your travels, Gabby. Security lines here in Denver are 1.5 hours long. Maybe it'll be better once everyone knows to check their luggage, right?
                      Going to read the article shortly. Thanks for the link!
                      Diane M.

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

OH YUCK! Thats where I'm flyin out of. I really have flying issues the way it is. The extra stuff makes me worse. And this will be the first time I wont be drinking on the plane.
                        This is gonna be good!!!!!

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

gabby wrote: OH YUCK! Thats where I'm flyin out of. I really have flying issues the way it is. The extra stuff makes me worse. And this will be the first time I wont be drinking on the plane.
                          This is gonna be good!!!!!
                          Are you here??? I hate that line anyway. Feel sort of dizzy and like we're a bunch of cattle. But zone out and let it calm you. You can do this!!! All the N/A stuff on the plane is included in the price of your ticket! ;-)
                          Diane M.

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Hello-

I'm glad everyone is hanging in there. Isn't it nice to wake up without a hangover?

I passed my first major hurdle last night. I went to a birthday party after work where everyone was already drunk. Everyone insisted I do a shot and the birthday girl put one in my hand. I thought about doing it but then I thought, "I will have to start at day one again tomorrow if I drink this thing-it's not worth it". So, I put the shot down and took everyone's crap for not drinking it. I bet they are all hungover today!

I am so thankful for this site. Part of the reason I declined the drink is I didn't want to come back here and write a post about slipping up. I am now on day 11 instead of day 1.

You are all an inspiration. Here's to sober nights and hangover-free mornings!

Jackie

Comment

Thursday, August 10th

Way to go Jackie!:good:

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X