Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water for Elephants

A delightful little book by Sara Gruen.

....Orphaned and penniless at the height of the Depression, J.J. escapes everything he knows by jumping on a passing train - and inadvertently runs away with the circus. Thrown into the chaos of a second-rate traveling show, Jacob is adrift in a world of freaks, swindlers and misfits.....

It is approached from the viewpoint of a 92 year old man remembering and gives us much to think about the lack of dignity granted to the aging.

Loved it and could not put it down.........till the wee hours of the morning.
    *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Water for Elephants

I just loved this book. One of the best books I have read in a long time. Very heartwarming.

Comment

Water for Elephants

love this book!!!!

have you ever heard of "geek love" by kathryn dunn (I believe that's her name)...it's a circus book as well, but with quite a twist!!!

Comment

Water for Elephants

I too loved Water for Elephants. Peace, thank you for the other "circus" themed recommendation. Don't know when I'll ever get to it but I've added it to my "library list!"

DG
        Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
        Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Water for Elephants

Got to go get it!
          Nancy
          "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Water for Elephants

I read this one recently too, and devoured it. I just about fell in love with the old man.
            FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

Working...
            X