Questions about Antabuse, your experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am seriously considering going on Antabuse. I cannot seem to break my bad habits on my own, and this seems like a good option? I would love to hear any users experiences with antabuse, good and bad. Any negative side effects? How do you handle it when you are on antabuse, and suddenly you want a drink sooo bad. Im afraid I would drink on it and end up in the hospital. Any advice would be appreciated
    I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ead-20207.html I think you'll find all you need to know here of other peoples experiences Over. Good luck.

Hips
    xxxx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Thanks, I will check it out Hippie. I plan on going to my doctor this week. Im going to talk to her about antabuse. I do not drink everyday, but when I do.. its a ton! Binge drinker every 4 to 5 days. Im really tired of the cycle.
      I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

I know how you feel Over. I was a binge drinker myself. Antabuse did help me break that cycle because the option to drink was taken out of my hands. Left to my own devices I would of carried on. Just make sure you use the time on it wisely. My GP would not prescribe it unless I sought counseling too for my addiction.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you though Over. Looking back I think I relied to heavily on the Antabuse. Because I wasn't drinking anymore I thought I had it cracked and after 3 months of using it I decided I didn't need it anymore. I fell flat on my face and relapsed because I had not moved ANYWHERE with my drinking apart from just putting it down. Don't become too dependable on it and make sure you work through your issues with drink while on it. I became very lazy!!

Best of luck with your doctor and any reservations you have about taking it make sure you bring them up with your GP. Read through some of the posts in the thread before you go as that may give you an idea of what question to ask while there.

Love and Happiness
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Over,

I want to add to Hipster's post.

I, too, used Antabuse for a while and, yes, it worked great while I was taking it. You simply cannot give in to the thoughts of drinking. If you do, you may well end up in the hospital and the pain is horrible. (I did drink on it once and it was horrible.)

Like Hippie, I did not work on my addiction issues while taking it, just went along happy as a clam.

Then, one day I stopped taking it. A long term planned relapse? Yes. In retrospect. Being brutally honest.

Once I started drinking again, it was like I had never quit drinking.

I have been to rehab twice now. There is a sign over the door of one of the meeting rooms there that I think applies here:

"If you are not working on your disease, your disease is working on you."

By all means, try the Antabuse if you think you can. Do not take it if you think you will try to drink on it. The physical damage can be significant.

But remember to work on your addiction and the issues that go with it at the same time.

Good luck to you,
          Cindi
          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Stop the train -- I want to get off

I have only taken Antabuse once, on a Monday a few weeks ago. I didn't drink for 3 days, and those days were great -- I was focused at work, and in a good mood, instead of guilty and hungover. But then when I did drink, I totally went overboard.

I am thinking of taking one today. I am off this week from work, and I want to be positive and productive -- not guilty and hungover. I am supposed to get together with my mom and sister tomorrow; they both know I am struggling with AL, and it would nice to go over there with a clear head.

Cindi and Hippie, your thoughts about working on the addiction -- ouch.

Encouragement needed here! thanks.

Comment

CS: quick question (meant to be encouraging!): What have you got to lose, by taking the antabuse? And (OK it's 2 questions!)... what might you gain?

Comment

Wip, lots to gain and nothing to lose. And a sober St. Patrick's Day -- I'm not even Irish!

Comment

I took it -- thanks, WIP! Sober Sunday. No Guinness needed with my corned beef.

Comment

Way to go, CS!!!!! St. Pat's brings back some awful drunken memories for me... I'm so glad that (being among the Incredibly Drunk!) is no longer among the realm of things that I might be doing on March 17!

Comment

Yes, but my plans for tomorrow with mom and sis have been canceled, because my son has been sick. (but he's better now) I so feel like I have to prove something to my family, to let them know that I am still trying. So that is why I'm pissed. I know this is irrational; I need to be AF for myself, not for anyone else. But they have been hanging this on me for years, and I wanted to at least have a day of success under my belt. I still will, of course. I'm just disappointed and rather agitated.

Comment

Ny-Quil

I took 1/2 a tablet of Antabuse on Sunday afternoon. It's now Monday, almost 10:30 PM, and I'm catching a cold. I'd like to take some NyQuil, but worried there might be a reaction. Any thoughts?

Comment

I wouldn't, there's quite a bit of alcohol in Nyquil. There are plenty of other non-alcohol cold medicines, though.
                          Q: How do I become the person I want to be?
                          A: Practice, of course.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                            X