Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to get your doctor to prescribe topamax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi,

i have asked my current doctor to prescribe something to me to help me to stop drinking. he won't because he says there are too many side effects,(duh...what about the side effects of drinking?) also i am on anti-depressants and he is afraid that the drugs will interfere with those.

anyway, i'm thinking i should just go to a new doctor and start over? i am no longer on anti-depressants, but am still drinking about 2 bottles of wine a day. i started taking this natural anti-depressant called serenity which is a natural lithuim supplement and it seems to be working well.

it seems like these doctors are afraid to prescribe these meds. my doctor says that they are for keeping you from drinking after you have already stopped, but i have read differently. i didn't ask about topamax though, i was asking about campral, so maybe if i ask him about topomax? or maybe i should try another doctor?

what do you tell your doctor to get them to prescribe you this medication? any info would help.

thanks,

saundra

Saundra, many people print out the lancet article from the research area and take it to their doctor. Also, the My Way Out book to show them. The lancet is a respected medical publication so many doctors respect that.

Comment

i am going to see my doctor today to ask for topax but in england they are for people who have fits might get camprol . D you know much about this drug . thanks bowjoe

Comment

Dr. NO HELP!!!

Hi,
        My Dr. for the last 15 years was of NO HELP!!! He basically told me that I needed to get with my employers bookeeper who administrates the health insurance, and find out is drug/alcohol treatment part of my plan and that he would DO NOTHING to help me in this. I queried him as to why such a significant problem as drinking too much, which has major consequences on my health, would not be treated. He suggest I go to detox on my own. It was ssssooooooo frustrating.
        I ordered my Topamax online, from India, (desperation??) it should be here this week.
        next step??? GET A NEW DOCTOR WHO GIVES A SHIT!!!!!

Jon

Comment

Link to Medication overviews

Here is a link to a post with a link to an overview of all of the medications and their effects, etc., which should help with the information that you need.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/showthread.php?t=5414

Comment

I have asked 5 doctors re.topa. All have said no. 4 said go to counselling (well duh, tried that), well the last one that said that I asked if they recommended counselling for people trying to give up cigarettes (she didn't get the irony).
            The other said he would only give me Campral. Maybe that is the way I have to go. I got to 37 days abs and then crashed and burned. Haven't got myself back to abs yet and think I definately need chemical help, (I am doing all the supps etc).
            Anybody out there got Topa from Drs in Australia in NSW?
            GS

Comment

1st dr. i tried, poo, poo it & would not even look at the articles I printed up said I should go to re-hab. I just recently went to another dr. lied my head off about having migaines for years. Told him I had a falling out with my other dr & i needed a prescription. He gave me one.
              P

Comment

Well I have had no luck geting Doctors to give me the topa for drinking or rather for stopping drinking but I have ordered it from India and received it no problem. It is a miracle for me. I drink but I am so much better I have a life. I can have some wine where as before I had a bottle a litre anything else in the house.
                I feel happy or is it that I feel in control.

My problem is my husband does not approve what does he want me me better or drunk . Guess some of us know the answer to that.

I have to even sneak on here. anyway. I have no faith in anyone in the medical field ... you can keep trying Doctors telll the truth to them, lie or go out on your own if you have the money and feel like you can do it yourself..so far I have been lucky customs has not shut me down...must be the old hippie in me yahooo

Comment

Good for you, Pea, you got the Topa! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

I have to admit, I ran out of Kudzu and fell off the wagon last night. Didn't realize what an impact that stuff could have overall. But I felt okay this morning, didn't beat myself up as usual, got back on the program, upped the Topa to 75 mg (it's my 17th day), and I'm back in the saddle again.

It is definitely a control issue, and I think the combination of the meds, supps, hypno, exercise, and the support of this community ALL combine to give back control to ME. (Still trying to find the right juice for the AllOne... Yuck)

Unregistered, go register and you will remain anonymous. But you will have a sense of identity so we can talk to you. That’s one of the best features of this site. We don’t have to stand up in front of the group and label ourselves. This site really IS anonymous.

Kat

Comment

thanks

thanks everyone,

sorry i didn't reply sooner, i had this forum set to send me a notice when anyone replies to my post, but i guess it didn't work.

I actually found a psychaitrist who wants to know about this site and wants me to print up some info on topomax to help stop drinking, he is going to consider it. i guess in california the laws are pretty strict and the fda has to approve a drug to treat a certain condition before they can prescribe it to you for that. he said that it is usually prescribed for bi-polar disorder, but i don't really have that. i will keep you posted after i find out if he will prescribe it or not..

thanks again for all your input!!

saundra:thanks:

Comment

My husband doesn't even know what I'm up too. So, your not alone there either. He's always been my drinking buddy. But it was just getting me down.
                      Pea

Comment

Hi all,
                        I live in the UK and went to see my lovely GP last monday, hoping she'll prescribe Topamax. She didn't and gave me the address to some support organisation,which I will try.
                        Still, with not a lot of money, I feel rather deserted. I would so love to change, but I do not think that any kind of therapy is going to make me feel like I can stop drinking..... this thing is in my brain and as far as I am concerned I need a pill to help me get better. I was diagnosed post natally depressed once and went for therapy over a year, before I thought, what the f*** and asked my GP for Prozac. After two days I was a different person with a life.
                        Is this thing similar? I would love to think I have a chance by taking the Topamax and do the CDs and the supps. Just got to get all the stuff together to start.

Comment

ell hereswhere i stand, i found this sit and refered it. I cant say that im doing well butim ok. i am still drinking but i still have hope. i am going to order the cd and supps, but i wanted to find the way to get topa. i really believe this will work, just praying it does. I guess ill know when the cds and the supps get here. im hoping that this wil really take care of it.
                          well either way, i thank god for this site.

Comment

I had to persuade my Doctor that I had done some research. He finally agreed to give it a try after doing a computer search on Topamax. Doctors are reluctant to prescribe "off-label" use, and I can't really blame them. Be persistent and you might convince your Doc. I did.

Comment

went to my doctor, and no go

well, i just got back from my appointment and my doctor said he need to look into it further, i gave him the lancet report on topomax, and he said he was going to look at this site, i hope he likes it! anyone else have any success with getting topomax prescribed??

saundra

Comment

Working...
                              X