Occasional Drinking (less than weekly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to start this thread for people who want to learn to or continue to drink only occasionally. This is my choice, and I feel like I have my life back. I want help others others consider this choice when they decide they want to drink moderately. I did 2.5 months AF, then struggled with drinking multiple days per week for about 6 months before I hit on this option. Less alcohol means no cravings for me! I try to only drink for social reasons, sharing some wine with close friends or my husband. I'm not afraid of alcohol, as many AF people seem to be, and on most days I don't think about drinking. I don't think that drinking is all that great, it is just an option I want to keep available in my life.
    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Hi Sunbeam,

This sounds like an option I would like to take on too. But only just starting out so I won't try it yet. Have a ways to go before I even consider this but I just wanted to say good on you for chooisng what feels right to you. I hope it works out. I might check back in here a few months and see what's happeing.

Good Luck!

Obstacles are those frightful things we see when we take our eyes of our goals - Henry Ford

Will power, determination and friends can turn this :teeter: into this :wings:

Comment

subeam question;

when you did your 2.5 AF months, how long was it before it became a bit easier? I find that I decide to try af after a bad bout; it's easy for 2 days, then tough, tougher and so far I always quit at day 5. So clearly I have to get by that day 5! And when I do my 1 or more month, I have to relearn how to 'have 1 or 2' then stop.

Comment

Wow, two posts on my new thread!
        Eskimo, I really believe in that 30 day (minimum) AF thing, and I think the best support for that here is on the monthly abstinance thread, or the AF Army. The toolbox on the abstinance section has many good ideas from which you need to select and construct a plan.

Coolgamma, the mistake I made after my AF time was that I thought I could drink moderately, multiple days in a week. I did that, usually stayed withim my limits I think, but never honestly felt in control. The urge to drink was always there. I wasn't using Drink Tracker, so I really don't know now how often I drank. The big difference for me came with not trying to always stop, but mostly not starting. Once I only let myself have anything to drink at all no more than once a week, I felt in much better control. Stopping is still harder for me than not starting. I still sometimes have three drinks, though I would rather stop at 2. The key for me was, don't start so often. It took about a month for me to get this down solid, then I worked on having frequent AF weekends. That took another month.

Learning to drink moderately is always more difficult thatn just going and staying AF.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi Sunbeam.

I went completely over the top at my Brunch yesterday - lost count. A lesson learned the hard way! Am going to put in more AF time and see how I feel.

Bx
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Betty,
            I saw your Drink Tracker - it is a hopeful sign that you are still using this tool. It is easier to tackle a problem you can see. More AF time is a good strategy.

Comment

You know, Sunbeam, that I'm hopping on your wagon of the occasional vs. moderate drinking. I think there's a big distinction between the two. I know modding is considered a few glasses of whatever several days a week, and for me, that too would be considered a dangerous route. I think I have the "Sun Fever!" For us, it's safe to go most of the time AF, but when an opportunity arises, then it's ok to have a few. Never two days in a row, never "every weekend" mentality. Thanks Sun.
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

J-Vo,
                I am so happy to have your company. Not that I don't still love the Mod Squad, because I do. But my path is different. Alcohol is not a regular thing in my life. I am so thrilled to be entering the gardening season without much alcohol in my life. A year ago, it was under control, but still present in my thoughts every day.

Comment

Hey Sunbeam, that sounds just the way I want to go. How did you manage to change from moderating to occasionallying if you see what I mean??!!

Comment

Hi Catnip,
                    This really is the way to go. You can read my post under Tell Us Your Story, title My Own Path. To get where I am, I think first I limited my drinking to weekends (Fri/Sat), then just once per week, then worked on intermittent AF weekends. Once I got down to once per week, it was pretty easy. Cravings just went away for me. The first AF weekend I caved, but the second try I was successful, and it just got easier after that.

Comment

Thanks, will read it! This is only day 2, have tried moderating before but it kept creeping back up so will try and hold out until Sat. Am ok all day until about 6 o'clock, then it starts! Especially now when the sun is shining and there is nothing nicer than a glass of wine in the evening sunshine!

Comment

I like the word occasionally much better then moderation... Occassionally says to me I may I may not...Moderation says to me...when you drink be careful.....sounds silly....but anyway. Im good for usually 3 days and then i really want a drink....and since it was so beautiful today and its Sat night I had major urges from about 2-6pm....I Went to the park and walked and also ate something sweet....Im on Campral....May the campral healped me from actually acting on my urges..

Comment

Hi Dave,
                          Yes, I really agree that occasional drinking is a better plan, for me and perhaps you, than struggling to stay within those limits, but still drinking multiple days per week. I struggled to stay in control when I tried to do that. Now, I have my life back.

Comment

Sunbeam;573278 wrote: I really believe in that 30 day (minimum) AF thing, and I think the best support for that here is on the monthly abstinance thread, or the AF Army.
                            Sunbeam, I just wanted to point out that the Army thread is not AF. It is for anyone, AF, mod, whatever.
                            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                            AF May 23 09 to July 09
                            AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Good on you for starting this thread Sunny. I'm going on for 50 days AF and not sure which way I will go yet, but probably just like you are talking about.
                              Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                              AF May 23 09 to July 09
                              AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Working...
                              X