Anyone in NZ tried Naltrexone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've asked my doctor about prescribing topamax...I took all the literature along...she obviously thought I was insane and sent me to CADS (Community Alcohol Drugs Somthing?)they talked to me a bit but I was feeling good/strong the day I went & didn't get much out of it. They suggested group therapy - the groups at a time I can't attend 'coz I have the kids and don't have family here to help out.
    Now I'm thinking about Naltrexone but I need to find a doctor here in NZ who's even heard of these drugs for al abuse.
    I can't get it over the internet (I've heard it bounces at customs here in NZ) and I don't want to spend NZD500 to find out I get placebos, if at all.
    I don't know what to do....

Not sure who is in NZ and getting the information and / or meds.

I personally have trusted River for Topa. Wasn't for me due to side effects, but you may want to look into this and other threads for some suggestions.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ght-30963.html

Best to You!

WTE

Comment

Naltrexone

Hi I has just joined tonight and saw your question. Im an alcoholic thats starting recovery again. Last time round I had six months off largely I believe due to help from Naltrexone. I too am in Canterbury. Naltrexone took a lot of the cravings away. I was prescribed it by a doctor when I spent a week in detox at Kennedy which is out where CADS is, but it can be prescribed by any doctor. He needs to apply for it for you and you get a number and he needs to reapply periodically for a new number. The key is finding a doctor who knows and understands alcohol problems. May I suggest Tim Wilson of the High Street Medical Centre who is very approachable, relaxed and goes out of his way to help people with these problems recover. He knows about Naltrexone and does prescribe it. I agree it should be used in conjunction with counselling but preferable individual counselling. I havent heard of Topamax until tonight so Im going to do some research on that now. Once I learn to navigate around this site I would love to hear how you get on. :new:

Comment

Angel, if you can see a different doctor, tell them you want Topamax for migraines you are suffering. Topa is prescribed for epilespy and migraines. Naltrexone has been prescribed here in Aus for years for AL abuse, so perhaps you will have some luck in NZ by just asking.
        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
        AF May 23 09 to July 09
        AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Hey Rosiegirl - excellent info. thankyou - exactly what I was looking for.
          I'm actually in Auckland - I assume the High St Med Centre is in Christchurch??
          Anyway, I will google it & they may be able to put me onto someone in Auckland.
          Thanks heaps Rosie...check out "The Next Day Thread" in general discussion...some awesome people in this time zone on there. Of course, it's for everyone also but I'd love to get to know you more & share the journey with you.

Pan - good idea - when I find a Dr that is clued up on addictions I might try that.

Comment

hi angel.maybe i can help you down under. new Zealand, 1st i ,i researched information on naltrexone,and then asked the opinion,, of my pharmacist,actually 2 pharmacists,b4 seeing a doctor,noting i was not drinking at the time,nor am i now, but the cravings of drinking were coming on fairly strong,also told him i had been in treatment a year earlier,asked him if he thought it would help,he thot my idea was interesting,so did the doctor at the walk in clinic i went to,she prescribed 10 days worth,and also thot the knowledge i had on it was a good idea,if your honest with them in my case it worked,does naltrexone work,ive had 2 pills in 2 weeks,do i have to have them,probably not any more then the alcoholic,mind over matter,you decide,i sure hope it helps and i wish you well,gyco ps i do beleive it does the same if you drink,but i havent drank with it, a no caring feeling,[lack of interest in what you are doing] that's why i dont take it on a continuous bases

Comment

Hi Angelcakes. I live in Auckland too. I got Naltrexone thru a treatment centre but I'm sure you could get it thru the doctor at CADS too. I found it made me feel nauseous 24/7 so gave up on it. It was suggested I try half the dose but I haven't yet. Good luck with it!

Comment

Hi Sticky, I did call CADS and ask them if they could recommend a dr that might prescribe meds & they said they didn't know one...

Comment

bump

Comment

TEAM Study using Naltrexone in NZ

Hi everyone

Did you know that there is a new outpatient research treatment programme in NZ called the TEAM Study (Treatment Evaluation of Alcohol & Mood) being co-ordinated through CADS in Dunedin, Christchurch, Nelson, Blenheim, Hamilton, Auckland, Whangarei and Bay of Islands? It uses Naltrexone combined with anti-depressants. If anyone is interested, phone 0800 TEAMRESEARCH, or 0800 832673. I saw this advertised in the local paper, and left a message. The lady phoned me back and was very kind and helpful and is sending me more info. It is an outpatient study.

Hope this helps.

:new:

Comment

Working...
                    X