Things I love about modding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:lThought I'd share some of the things that have improved in my life since finding MWO...

Before finding this place,... I was at a very difficult turning point in my life.(I guess that's how I found my way here,... by some sort of miracle... and the "Grace of God" (my Grandma's name was Grace, that's her in profile photo... taken @ about 99yrs of age, lost her on 9/11/08,...@ 100 yrs)

Having been thru, in-patient re-hab, and coming home to live with somebody I love, who is a daily drinker, it's difficult to describe how hard that really is to live with... unless you've been there...

If you're somebody who has a thirst for alcohol, and lives in a house with somebody who, everynight, "pops" open a cold one,... right next to you, after work... it's like, putting a plate of candy in front of a little kid and telling them not to pay any attention to it.
    I was OK, for about 2 weeks after getting out of treatment, but evrybody has their breaking point... at least I do.
    I don't want to live a life of condemnation & resentment for my Hubby.But I'm afraid that's exactly where we'd be, had I not stumbled across this site, nearly 4 yrs ago.

I'm happy to say that today, and pretty much for past 4 years (except for a few slips), but even "normies do that)

We've become closer and more repectful of each other.

I can be honest and not feel I have hide my drinking.

I can be accountable & reliable, I don't have to be "All or Nothing",..meaning go off the deep end... I moderate.. so I don't "over-indulge"

I can be responsible & do a great job @ work, then be able to sit down & enjoy a shift beer or drink afterwords with the rest of the crew & not feel like a leper.

I can be there for my friends &/or family when they call and need me. I'm available. I'm me again.

I can enjoy a family reunion or gathering, without feeling like an "outcast"....

I can wake up in the morning feeling energized, and ready for the day! (just need to work on the going to sleep part first... kinda have the "night owl syndrom")... too many high stressed nights ...
    Thank God for my quiet elipticle! LOL and "Nick @ Night"

Just some thoughts I wanted to share...
    :l
    Judie

From where I stand, being a Modder is a very positive thing. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:h:thanks:

For someone in a situation, like mine, where you work around it, you serve it to customers, family gatherings..there's no escaping it... I don't mean you HAVE to drink, but it's there, ...
    For me for now, this is working really well.
    Wishing you ALL well.
    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Sounds Great, Judie! I'm really happy for you. I'm not sure what has happened with me, I simply don't want to drink al. (I'm pretty sure that would be different if I worked in a bar though). Thanks for sharing!
    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Saint Jude,
      Thanks for sharing your story here. It's not always that there are positives about modding, and I believe yours is a success mod story. I'm glad you posted it. It's stories like yours that give me hope and encouragement. I think the more we practice this modding thing, the more we "get it," but not without slips. But like you said, even "normies" have slips. What I consider "slips" now don't even compare to what they were prior to coming to MWO and learning so much. This place has been a godsend, and I've made a commitment to continue learning by coming here everyday. Thanks again!
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Thanks J-vo,
        Good luck on this journey. Let me know if I can help...

Personaly, I think modders are just a maybe a bit more honest about our drinking... My Dad always says, "there's nothing worse than a reconformed drinker or smoker... They get so damn self rightious." He no longer smokes, hasn't for 42 years, but still has one per year,(sometimes if he remembers), just to keep himself off the "pedistal" ...

It saddens me to see the boards being so torn these days, and see modders not posting, and being treated like "ugly step children"

Comment

I think you're right. When they fall, it's ok, because they're trying to be AF. When we fall, we deserve it because we're fooling ourselves?!
          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Waking up without having to chug glass after glass after glass of water THEN opening the fridge and knowing there's still wine in there because I didn't drink the whole damn bottle!

Be
            "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Saint Jude;573591 wrote: Thanks J-vo,

Personaly, I think modders are just a maybe a bit more honest about our drinking... My Dad always says there's nothing worse than a reconformed drinker or smoker... They get so damn self rightious.

It saddens me to see the boards being so torn these days, and see modders not posting, and being treated like "ugly step children"
              A very good example of "ugliness" would be... accusing an entire group of people of dishonesty (not to mention self-righteousness). It's just a damn shame that it's considered OK to behave like that on this website. Impossible to have a good-faith difference of opinion without it immediately degenerating into personal attacks.

Do you really suppose that this is what RJ had in mind?

Comment

Wippy,

I read a post on another thread and it was attacking the "general" forum vs "subscribers" forum. I was absolutely heartbroken. To the tune of the "general" thread was for whimps. It was just awful.

Be

Comment

Right on Be!

Waking up w/out a pounding head & a desert in my mouth is definately a huge plus!
                  Don't miss those days @ all!

Just enjoying the things I love to do,... and still feeling like I can have a social life as well, is such a wonderful thing for me.
                  I don't feel alienated, like I used to when I was trying to do the AA & 12 step stuff...
                  Don't miss the guilt trips either!
                  Although I do miss all the travelling I used to do...(But that's a whole 'nother story...)

Comment

BecomingMeAtLast;573609 wrote: Wippy,

I read a post on another thread and it was attacking the "general" forum vs "subscribers" forum. I was absolutely heartbroken. To the tune of the "general" thread was for whimps. It was just awful.

Be
                    Yes. And I've seen that sort of thing several other times on the Subs threads. That's why I was saying earlier today that I would be happy to give my "subscription" to Hart, if she really wants one (her access apparently vanished).

Comment

SJ,

I read on the workout thread that you worked out today...ok, that's all the inspiration I need! I'm off to do 30 minutes before I talk myself out of it!

I'll need to join that thread!

Be

Comment

WIP,

I was merely quoting something my Dad has said to me.
                        I'm sorry if you took offence to it.

It was not a personal attack @ anyone.
                        Sorry I forgot the " marks.

Comment

Be
                          Please join us, it's a fun thread!:welcome:

Comment

I don't get it, Wippy. I really don't. Money is so tight right now and I hemmed and hawed about the subscription but realized how much this site has helped me then I started reading that stuff. I just don't see the point...

Oh well, that's why there's choices here I guess. I just don't understand when we're all adults. I'm off to exercise. I'll vent that way I guess. It's healthier anyway.

Be

Comment

No, Jude. What you said (both before and after you edited the post) is that it is your opinion that "modders" are more honest than people who are (I think the word you used was "self-proclaimed") AF. And of course you are quoting your Dad in agreement with his sentiment.

You said it... why not own up to it?

Comment

Working...
                              X