Same page, different author

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are all folks with drinking problems. We’re all on the same page with trying to overcome our problem but we are all authors of our own story and our own story is different for each one of us.

As a nurse in a trauma hospital will I refer the alcoholic with a diseased liver or pancreas to MWO? Definitely not. But will I refer the mom who hasn’t experienced DT’s while hospitalized but admits that she binge drinks too much? Yes, it’s possible MWO could be a program for her.

Some people can drink and they never have a problem their entire life with it. Some become “problem drinkers” and with realization of their problem, hard work and a lot of effort can learn how to moderate their drinking so it no longer causes a problem for them in their lives. Unfortunately the majority of people with drinking problems can probably never moderate. The old saying “One is too many and a thousand aren’t enough” is the motto that applies to them.

So how do we make a board work for folks where some are learning to moderate and encourage each other while remaining sensitive to the struggles and feelings of those who will never be able to drink in a controlled fashion?

Someone shared with me not long ago that an alcohol recovery site should be free of messages that glorify and promote the use of alcohol. It’s a valid point. But we have to remember that we have 2 very different alcohol recovery sites going on at MWO. A site for those who hope to never drink again and a site for those who are learning to drink moderately and enjoy sharing their success stories, and yes, possibly sounding like they are glorifying alcohol because it isn’t as much a problem to them as it is to someone who should remain alcohol free. As RJ (the creator of this site) says herself “I invite you to join us on this exciting journey, whether you choose to quit drinking completely or moderate your consumption--it's all up to you.”

Let us not forget that this was a site initially set up to help people consider moderation as a solution to their problem drinking.

As moderators with our own moderating sites entitled “monthly moderation” and “long term moderators” are we then responsible for folks who read our posts and make bad choices for themselves? They are after all the authors of their own stories. We can’t be responsible for everyone.

I personally will remain sensitive to the real struggles of those trying to recover and will be very conscientious of what I post and where. I will try to be loving and understanding in my posts with others, even with those that I disagree with. We all have struggles in our lives. This is supposed to be a site where we come for hope and support, not a site where we argue and bicker with each other to the point that the negativity affects our lives. When we’re negative with each other it makes us feel bad. Those bad feelings can flow through us to our families to our intuitive children, even to our pets! So, we need to get rid of the negativity with the battle of AF vs modding.

But at the same time I will defend my moderator board to the hilt as this site “the long term moderator board” was created for those who have chosen moderating as an alternative to their problem and we shouldn’t have to feel like we are “walking on eggshells” so as to not upset the recovery of someone who can never mod or where drinking would be life threatening for them. If drinking were life threatening to them then they should not be coming to the long term moderator board.

My plan. If someone is offended by what I’ve posted on my “safe” modding board, feeling that I am not supporting those with severe alcohol problems then I will politely tell them “I hope we can agree to disagree” and that will be ALL I post. No bickering, no fighting, no waste of my time, no negative energy.

We’re all the authors of our own books and I choose to not let this constant bickering ruin my day, make me leave MWO or wreck the ending of my happy story!

Peace be with you.
    Eve11
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

HERE HERE!

I could not have put it better Eve.

I agree with every word you say. It does not require any alteration or modification (no pun intended)! I hope everyone will take the same view now, as what has occurred recently has become very waring. That said, there have been a couple of posts like this one too, so I hope the tide is aturning. Well done for pointing it out. Line drawn under it all I hope. Mod threads are for modders and AF for AFers. It is an obvious point, but one which is so often over looked.
    Moo
    "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
    but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Eve,
      Thanks for your articulate thoughts on the recent skirmishes. I just don't post on a thread with a battle. I want those threads to be buried as quickly as possible. It is disappointing to see people I otherwise like a lot get so involved with namecalling and all. Oh well. I still appreciate all the support they have given me in my recovery.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Some people went over the top, and that was unfortunate.

Comment

Nice post, Eve, thanks!

Be
          "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

Excellent post Eve. I liked the analogy you gave that we are all authors of our own books. Obviously our characters, setting, and plot vary, so we each have a unique story to tell. And I also like the "I agree to disagree" then drop it. Can I use that!!!!
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Eve11....I drink to forget........Forget what !?! I don't know I forgot ! Ha! IAD. Really though we all function even while we drink. Is that scarey or what !?! LOL IAD.
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

Free speech

I did notice in recent months that the conversations have taken an especially anti-moderating tone. For example, the fact that the people on the naltrexone thread were really interrogated. That is one medication solution that seems to have a lot of promise, though as our new memer Cornwell has humorously suggested, the fear of winding up in a car crash and not being able to get morphine will render that drug off limits to the neurotics among us!

Also, this idea that people are deluding themselves with moderation. Well lots of people fail on the way to abstinence. I think there probably is a very wide range of alcohol abuse problems and it's reasonable to think there could be different options depending on severity and that abstinence is overkill or unworkable for some people.

Is it over the top to post threads about benefits of alcohol? I think that was probably posted in response to a perception of intolerance to moderation attempts. In reality, as GG has said, that research has been known for a long time and really is not that helpful for people trying to move from a problem to moderate drinking. It's more something you would post for someone who doesn't drink at all. After all, problem drinkers seeking moderation get plenty of the health benefits but go too far. And you can get those nutrients from other foods, that has been known for a very long time.

In terms of abstinence, no doubt some want to control their whole environments, but this isn't the place to do it for sure. It was started as a liberal site, very open to moderation and abstinence, and hopefully moving on from draconian measures such as medications that make you sick or unproven public morally based efforts like AA. Yet interestingly, we see that some members now are really improving so much with these older methods.

I have known some in the flesh who have control issues about booze and i figure these people have a very fragile, white knuckle type sobriety. Let's take Eve's other advice and not take it personally.

Reading about some health benefit can't be as tempting as being at a cocktail party or celebration and being persuaded to have a glass. Never mind the fact that some of our members whose own family members argue they don't even have a problem! How tempting that must be! Then we read the troubles of Waiting for his way out who has been told she is responsible for her husband's sobriety when, in fact, lots of alcoholics have perfect support and never improve. It all goes to show it is up to the person with the problem to change for himself or herself and I really think that is the most imporatant thing. Let's all hold on to our own power.

And let's keep free speech in perspective.

Comment

I love a laugh

IAD;574786 wrote: I drink to forget........Forget what !?! I don't know I forgot !
                  Iad,
                  Thanks for the humor to lighten up a pretty serious post. Thanks for the input from everyone else. Sounds like we're all on the same "page" with this one.

Hugs to all Modders and Af'ers out there!
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Thank you Eve for putting it across so peacefully.

The uglyness on the boards has been unnecessary and very hurtfull to those involved. I hope that this is the end of it now and we can all "agree to disagree".

RESPECT!!
                    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Working...
                    X