Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday, August 12th!

Good Morning, Abbers!

Hope everyone's managing the weekend okay...it can be a little tough because so many of us associate the weekend with relaxing and having "fun"--which, for us, has been inseparable from drinking....it's amazing to me, though, that I actually am enjoying many things much more than if I were drinking!

Let's see, this evening (I'm posting before going to bed) I enjoyed the gorgeous sunset (which I may or may not have noticed when I was drinking), then I was able to really LOOK at the enormous almost full moon when it rose over the lake...I had an intense political conversation that I can clearly remember; I also remember the names of the new people I met; I rode around this wonderful picturesque lake on a paddle-boat and didn't spend the whole time wondering when I would be able to have a beer or a glass of wine; I was able to focus on the food at dinner and not the level of the wine bottle; I didn't even stumble while I was walking up a very steep path in the dark; I was able to drive home and chat coherently about the people we'd just met AND I am enjoying a wonderful cup of tea while checking in here.

It may not sound particularly exciting but I have to say that I REALLY enjoyed the whole evening--and I'm not either passed out or wondering what I said or did....

Okay, time to get to bed because we're getting up early for a "house burning"!! Yep, these people down the road are actually having their old house burned down at 5:30AM so that they can rebuild further off the road! I guess the whole town is going to show up for the excitement! Ah, life in Vermont...what a drag it will be to go back to the big city on Sunday!

Have a beautiful Saturday everyone--
    :h
    susan

"Don't give up what you really want for what you want right now." (Anon.)
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Saturday, August 12th!

Good morning Absville,

It's been a busy week down here on the farm. Around this time every year, we are looking forward to an end of harvest and some cool weather. We did have a big rain yesterday.

The clock is ticking away on the upcoming wedding. (End of Sept) There are two parties next weekend. Don't have to even think about beverages.....will be sweet tea and more sweet tea!

Life is not dull here!
    I love the story of boat rides, sunsets and conversations remembered, Susan. I am so grateful for those also.

It is getting close to time to pick grapes and start the process again. The blackberry is done...just need to bottle..soon I hope.

I hope and pray a happy, safe weekend for all.

Nancy & Belle:l

"Hope begins in the dark, the stuburn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come.
    You wait and watch and work: you don't give up."
    Anne Lamott
    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Good Afternoon

Hi peeps.

just read Clevv's post and made me laugh about the House Burning... and how you have had a lovely time Isn't it an enigma when you can just... 'remember'...
      . I can just picture it... and also I revelled in your comments about when you had to walk up the steep hill and did not stumble... goin to have it as my signature if you don't mind Suzy Q... And Baby Belle - ( hope that Baby is okey doke by the way- as always hugs from Mills and Lazy Dazy ! ) - and hope you enjoing your tea... - mines milky with 1 sugar !!!
      Also wanted to say that it's wonderful to hear about your experiences... and good luck with the grapes.
      You are in lovely places at the moment, and really, I have no right to be posting here because I've fallen from Grace... ( My first pony was called Grace - and fell off her plenty too.. !!! ) But Hey Ho - Onwards... etc. I feel an affinity towards Abs, because that is where I want to be again. Just have to pick myself up and start all over again. But your stories give me hope, So Thank You Ladies. Hope you don't mind me being here. ?!?

Liz
      xxx
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Hi guys,
        Yes, I agree with everyone else Susan, I love your posts. But then again I love everyones posts. And I really mean that. I am just as stuck on this site as I was when I started. Lets see...that would be I think 68 days now. No Beer! Or alcohol of anykind. Dont know if I shared this yet. Was out a week or so ago with youngest son and X-hubby for dinner.(I know ....its weird) But anyway, Went to this place where its famous for the margarittas. Taste good and I swear....strong. I think they should be illegal. Anyway I have always said I am just a beer drinker. But I did like the margs there. So I thought I would try and see if the topa has had the same effect on them as they have the beer for me. And its a great big fat YEP! They were yuckie yuck. I feel so lucky the topa is doin that for me.

But anyway, I love reading all the posts. Everyones. I get so much out of them. There is so much for me to learn in life still. And much easier with out alcohol. Like you said susie q. (cute bambs) Much nicer takin it in not under the influence.
        And bambs, you absoultly do to have a right to be here. I am glad you WANT to be here. You wanting to be here and everyone else wanting to be here is what is making it work. That is what I mark success as. The DESIRE to want to be here working on things. Which I feel is more than just not drinking. But working on what makes us drink in the first place. And everyones input and work is helping us all succeed. So Bambs, Susan, Nancy, Belle, Kathy, Mac, Matt, Bridg, lorik, dieann, cj, oh dear.....not enough minutes to think of more names....but everyone....stay right here. all of us are makin all of us be smarter and better. dont stop. But I need to stop since its not my computer and I think its gonna freeze on me again. dont wanna lose my post so better quit while I still have it. Love you guys, chat with ya soon, gabbster
        Gabby :flower:

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Don't you dare go anywhere else bambino babe. hang out with us, just let that old abstaining attitude rub off on you!
          take heart lovely lady

Carole

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Day 12

Morning! I went to "the bar" last night and drank club soda, and it was fine. I'm a little quieter sans booze, but I had fun and enjoyed seeing everyone. And then, just like when I'm drinking, I was tired of being there and ready to move on.

Really sleepy this morning, and it's almost noon. Going to laze around a bit, then hopefully later go for a run (or do some other workout) and make a trip to the grocery store for non-alcoholic beverages. And, oh yeah, some food too.

Going to a concert tonight. I never go to concerts, so it shouldn't be a trigger for me. Hoping they'll have Sprite with lots of bubbles in it. I haven't had one of those in ages.

Happy Saturday! Too bad we can't all go to the houseburning. Sounds kind of fun!
            Diane M.

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Hi guys

Helo there everyone and happy saturday! Hope everyone is having an enjoyable day in Absville!!?
              Well its day 17 for me and things are still lookin good, was up an at the gym really early this morning again, think i might go for a swim tomorrow for a change, excercise really does help! I've bought tons of fruit and healthy food too which i think is also contributing to my feeling better so its all good at the moment.
              Oh and im getting my new car door fitted on monday, so my baby will be all beautiful again!!

Bambs chick, dont worry bout postin on here ..as you can see from the replies above everyone wants you here incluiding me, what would i do without me little plastic scouser!!!!

Loads a love folks

Lou-Lou x x x x
              "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Hey.......house burning down here means somebody is cooking up something they shouldn't be!! Happens out here in the boonies a lot!

Bambs....Belle sends you a face lick! Don't you dare not "show up" here!! :l If we all quit when we "fall from Grace".........none of us would still be here.:upset:

Ok....got to run....later peeps.

Nancy
                "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

Lazy Saturday...Yawn....

Hi Abbers!

My Goodness, I'm feeling lazy! I should be sewing flags, but the sky is such a vibrant blue, and I'm just trying to muster up the "whatever it takes" to get going again!!

Susan, I was looking at the moon too last night--God, it was gorgeous! It's nice to think that we were both enjoying the same moon! I wish I could have been there at the house burning! I love city life, too, although more in a small city. Manhatten would be a bit much for me....Remember Eddie Albert in Green Acres??? That's me!! LOL

Nancy, I also love your stories of life on your farm. The rhythms of country life stir something deep inside of me. I admire your fortitude in not doing a half-gainer into one of the vats of wine, although maybe after working with it so long, it comes with the territory!! Thanks for the Annie Lamott quote--it is haunting, beautiful, and very true!

BambinoLiz--don't think of leaving--I won't hear of it!! If peeps got kicked off Abs for a slip or a slide, I sure wouldn't be here!!! We are all works in progress, and we all have to support each other. You may have slipped, but you still have something to offer--and you are still deserving of respect and support!:h

So Gabs, do I correctly understand that you actually had at least a SIP of a margarita??? or maybe even a couple??? LOL!!!:nutso:OMG!!! Well, if that is true, I am a little glad that you aren't COMPLETELY perfect!!! (Espec. compared to me, since I am so far from said perfect!!) I'm glad that the topa works for margaritas too! You are terrific, and such a supportive person, so I hope you don't mind me teasing you a little, here!! Anyway, most of us aren't so lucky when we set out to do an "experiment", and I'm glad that yours worked!

Carole and Dieann, keep up the good work! And okay, where are Matt and Wayne????? I hope that it is just that I missed something and not that either of them are MIA!!/em>

Lou, I posted to you on two other posts, and I want you to know that I am thinking about you.

Okay, I have now procrastinated enough, and I must get back to my sewing. I am having fun now, except that the cutting out was done by high school girls that have no freaking concept of what it means to cut out fabric according to the pattern!!! However, that is relatively minor compared to frustrations in earlier sewing seasons! I am enjoying sewing sober, even though it does feel a LITTLE STRANGE! But then again, this is all about developing new habits and ways of being, right???

Hugs,

Kathy:l
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Saturday, August 12th!

good evening all,
                    Computer was acting up yesterday so had to wait for my son to come home to fix it... pathetic I know....Just finished my "Saturday dinner out" and managed to do it without wine.I want to go to my Women for Sobriety meeting on Mon with a weeks of abs under my belt. It's given me a goal.
                    Discusses all this with my husband last night. Had to get it all out in the open as I'll need a few hours for my meeting on Mon night and that means he has to take my son to a game(he normally works a bit late on Mon nights. Anyway he was a bit surprised that I was taking this so seriously.I thought he would dismiss the whole thing but in the end said he gave me a great deal of credit for dealing with my drinking. He also said that he would not drink as well for six weeks.Of course I don't think he's as "attached" to his wine as I am but eating a meal tonight without either one of us drinking made it a great deal easier.
                    I'll post longer tomorrow as I do think of each and every one of you throughout the day. Hang in there all of you. All of your triumphs are inspiration to me and your slips are lessons to us all.Please keep posting with your victories as well as your setbacks. I've certainly had my share.
                    Janet

Comment

Working...
                    X