Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a good simple chili recipe

You tell me
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

i love annahaeim chilies, they are a different flavor than regular bell peppers...also chipotle chilis in adobe sauce are wonderful...

just sautee some onions and garlic
    if you want meat add it now and sautee until brown
    add chilies
    a can of good tomatoes
    a couple different kinds of beans
    if you want it thinner add some water
    i would add cilantro, chili powder, garlic powder, turmeric, cinnamon and maybe a little chocolate and simmer for an good hour

Comment

I like cumin for flavor also.

Sammys

Comment

oops!
        of course cumin!!!

Comment

Hippie,

Here you go...never fails. I'm in the US and have those measurements only.
          1 lb ground beef
          1 cup chopped onion
          3/4 cup chopped green pepper
          1 clove minced garlic
          1 16 oz can tomatoes, cut up
          1 16 oz can dark red kidney beans, drained
          1 8 oz can tomato sauce
          2 teaspoons chili powder 1/2 teaspon dried basil, crushed
          1 teaspoon cumin
          1 bay leaf1/2 teaspoon salt
          1/4 teaspoon pepper

Cook the meat, onion, green pepper and garlic until the meat is brown. Drain
          off any fat. Stir in the undrained tomatoes, and remaining ingredients. Bring
          to boil then reduce heat and simmer.

Guaranteed to work!

Be
          "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

peace, are you trying to confuse the crap out of me here!! CHOCOLATE!! lol Mind you I am cooking for a bunch of addicts so I think the chocolate would go down quite well!!. Plus the only adobe I know of is the software company (photoshop and Reader etc!!!!)

Thanks ALL and thanks Be I will be using that recipe when I cook tomorrow night.

Love and Happiness
            Hippie
            xx
            "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

i'm an adventurous cook...adobo sauce is the sauce that chipotle chilis come in...chocolate is traditional in alot of mexican cooking and i add it to some tomatoey southwestern/mexican dishes. just a small amount of good dark chocolate...like mole.

sorry i couldn't help.

Comment

My mom's chili

Hey Hippie,
                This is really basic. Not at all authentic Texas-style, but it's what I grew up on (not in Texas, lol) and easy to put together. You might want to double it if you are serving 5-6 people, so you have leftovers. I am actually making this tonight for dinner, so if you need metric sizes on the canned stuff, I have just put them into the recycling.

1 lb. ground beef
                1 onion, chopped
                1 stalk celery, chopped
                1/2 green pepper, chopped

Brown the ground beef, and then add the vegetables. Saute till vegies are softened. Add a 14 oz. can of chopped tomatoes and 2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce. Add about 1 tbsp. chili powder.

Cook about 1 hr. Add a 15 oz. can of chili beans or kidney beans, then cook another 1/2 hr.

Serve with my famous Cornbread -- the recipe is already on the Recipe Corner thread.

Enjoy!

Comment

It's funny you should mention celery CS. My brother used that in a spag bol a few weeks back. Never thought of using celery in anything other than salads!

p.s. I'm now cooking Wednesday night instead!!lol

Love hips
                  xx

Comment

Hippie - make it today! (Tuesday for me). It'll taste better tomorrow. I do my rice in the microwave - wash it, twice as much boiling water to rice, and in the microwave for 18 mins @ 70% power.

I hope it goes well and you have a great night.

Bx
                    Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Hippie, the celery is ridiculously inauthentic. My husband hates it (but he's not from Texas, either). I do like the crunch that it adds. At any rate, the pot of chili is almost gone tonight, so it ain't that bad! I have never heard of celery in a bolognese sauce, though.

Comment

Hippie....it does'nt get any simpler than this. Ha! ( and me either....Ha! )
                        ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                        those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                        Dr. Seuss

Comment

Iad - I confess!! I have often bought Hormel (I like the "hot")... and it really is pretty good!

You forgot instructions: Dump in small pot, heat, dump in bowl. Add hot sauce, if desired! If for company (!!), add dollop of sour cream & fresh cilantro on top!

Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Working...
                          X