Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday 13 August!

Good morning friends!!

I'm beginning day 13 while many of you are sleeping.. and it's sooooo good to read your posts. I can really relate to what some of you guys are saying about drinking and keeping the peace in a relationship. I recently split with my boyfriend and realised that even though he's not a drinker, BOY did I drink heaps while he was around!! :shocked:

Since he's been gone and I've been sober, I realise how much I used it to avoid conflict. :wings:

Sorry I'm so slack about posting and don't get much time.. but I'm definitely posting every couple of days.. even if it's only a word or two. The main thing is I'm reading your posts and gaining tremendous support from you all.. and THANK YOU!!

I'm still trying to put an aussie website together for us with some specifically local contacts & issues.. and sincerely hope I can interest other aussies to have a look and give some feedback on it. If you're interested, please message me.

:heart:
    MFM
    myfavouritemartian

Sunday 13 August!

Hi All.

I havent got everyone's names yet.. was it vinophile (I got lost - again- on what day it is I"m supposed to be posting on).. saying she told her husband. Well done.. thats great. I think there is initially a fear of telling our loved ones (I know I had a terror of it) because for me that meant REALLY admitting outwardly that I was GOING to change and asking for someone's help is not something that this "I always help others' person found easy.

Me, I'm troubled by people who are struggling having done well for so long. So, there is Robin Williams.. there's DMCDesigns.. Whitestar and others, not necesarrily posting here. I did get to a stage where I kinda felt invincible and of course then 'bam' I got a loud message reminding me that I wasnt, where I really had a few weak days (I didnt crumble tho). I said somewhere else that while I am NOT the person I was when I first came here.. I probably have some cell structure that hasnt altered.. however much I wanted it to alter.. and if I get to thinking I'm THERE, then I"ll probably fail. I have found this hard cos when I started I hung onto every minute as a success. Now I fear that success and the feeling that I"m there may actually become my weakness.. so I've come back here and to posting more.. trying to work it out. I"m not saying that I'm going to drink now.. I"m not. I actually almost feel repulsed, specially when I see people drunk and it HAS gotten so much easier saying no. Perhaps it was easier when I started cos I had this solid structure of things that I did to support my sobriety. As I"m more confident in it now, I"ve let some of that go.. I just need to be sure of what it is that I need to continue my continued sobriety.

Sometimes it would be nice to get out of this head of mine.
    Thanks for the offload
    Brigid

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Hi guys,
      Day 13, I like that day MFM. Used to be my favorite number. Now its 17. So I look forward for you to be on 17. Lou is on 17 and I think she is gonna see 18. So good.
      Brigid, I am impressed you have come so far. I wanna get there too. If i understood you right I share your feelings about sadness seeing people struggle after doing good for so long. I think the true underlying worries is that I also will never not want to drink. Sure its not bad for me now with the topa. But I know I cant take it forever. The day will come when I stop takin it and will have to fight the urge on my own. I admire you guys that are doin it alone.
      And ya Kathy.....I did take TWO sips from the margarita. The second was to see again the aweful taste. I wish I had the topa effect without the topa. And me perfect????? OH MY GOSH! I am laughing so hard. And can I take teasing? I am all about funnin. Teasin doesnt bug me at all. And boy can I dish it out. I figure if ya cant have fun and laugh is this ole world....then life aint gonna be very good. What I really think is cool...I laugh just as much sober as I did not sober. And ever cooler....I know why I am laughin.(usually) So this is good. I laugh so much Kathy that I embarrass my darling children to death. Half the time they dont even know why I am laughin. Course neither do I. Its just fun to laugh. Laughter is the best medicine. :H I think everyone needs to do it every day whether something is funny or not. Dont ya think? Try it guys. Just start laughing for no good reason. Then people look at you so stupid....that before ya know it just the looks on their faces is enough to make ya laugh alone. Anyway....I'll stop talkin about that now. Startin to ramble.
      Well I do hope this Sunday mornin finds everyone hangover free and happy. love ya all.....gabbos
      Gabby :flower:

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Sunday

Well, I went to post on Saturday--and Sunday is already started. It is late at night here, but it is so werid to think that people on the other side of the word are already up and going for Sunday. I am so proud of everyone here--every minute is an accomplishment to be proud of.

Susan your posts are always fantastic--its amazing how grateful we can be for enjoying things sober. Nancy it has to be great to know that you will actually remember everything from your upcoming parties. Bambs stay here...always hang with the people you want to be like even if your not there yet. Ya know Gabby after you are all through with your topa the margaritas may taste just as bad. I know that everytime I have gotten abs time in that my drink always tasted bad (not that it stopped me though--I was always about the effects not the taste.) Diane you are doing great! Kathy I am amazed at your transformation--and how did you ever sew flags drunk in the first place? Lou--I know how strong those urges can be--I know though when I have given in I always feel like crap--if I resist the next day I am filled with happiness. Glad to see you MFM! Janet, I can't wait to hear about your meeting. I am sure you will meet a wonderful group of people.

Bridgid I understand your concern when others struggle or fall after doing so well. The important thing is that they got back up again. My experience after 9 months of sobriety (2 years ago) I thought I could handle a few drinks and I was missing out by not drinking. Everyone else was having all the fun. I moderated well for awhile--months actually. Then things got stressfull, I started to spiral and I ended up where I was before. Its always there--sometimes invisible--but it waits and disguises itself as your rationale voice. I know it wasn't my rationale voice--because mine would have been screaming "are you freaking kidding me after all this time, work and struggle your even gonna think one iota about risking everything you have gained because you feel a little left out?" I really like whom ever said "always at risk". I have to remember that.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

Kim

PS--I was watching Cops tonight and had to turn it off--why in the hell would watching drunk people act stupid and get arrested be a trigger?

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Morning Abbers!!

Well thanks to the support from you guys and my own will power, i did it...day 18 for me!!!
          I woke up this morning feeling amazing and very proud of myself, this feeling certainly beats waking up with a hangover and tremendous guilt.
          I cant believe im past the half a month stage...cant wait till its a month!!
          Hope all is well with everyone today and that you all have a lovely sunday.

Lots a love and big hugs for all your help and support.

Lou - Lou x x x
          "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Hi everyone...

Just want to say how grateful I am for everyone's messages to me... It has made me happy - because I worry in case the sun doesn't come up tomorrow... And I know I've had my moments of ranting and raving here - which is uncalled for ... But do you know - That Angry Person does not exist when I don't drink - so why do I turn around and fall into 'his' arms ?
            But - well done to Lou - 18 days !!! You beat me girl !!! ( could you possibly try to beat me in the messages department !!! Heeeee ) :H
            I SO enjoy reading everyones posts about Marghuerita's and sewing flags, , making wine and soup and generally everyone's happy dispositions ( as well as stumbles ) It's important to share because I have learnt so much from visiting here .

And Gabby - Laughing... Isn't it weird when you can laugh because of something perhaps that if you were drunk might have passed you by..

No-one wants to be in the company of a misery.... Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone... ( Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
            So True..

So will speak soon and Keep On Swimmin - or Hiking up that mountain. XXXX

:h
            ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Happy Sunday All,
              It's a beautiful day here on the east coast so I've promised myself I'll do whatever I can to take advantage ofit. Winters are far too long and dreary here.
              Congratulation Lou on making it through!!!! The morning is so much sweeter when you have struggled through the night before. We have to try and remember that when we are tempted at nighttime. Mornings are wonderful when you don't drink but they are exceptionally wonderful when we struggle for our abstinence the night before.Great Job!!!!
              So many of you have gone for so long without alcohol. It was a bit disheartening for me to read a book by Jean Kirkpatrick(founder of Women for Sobriety) when she wrote that the second year of sobriety was quite hard because the thrill of early sobriety was gone and one was tempted into believing that there was no longer a problem with alcohol. Well, I had to close the book at that point as I did not want to hear about how the second year was hard when I was struggling with the first week. However, much as I would like to think this is all a piece of cake after a few months, hearing the doubts and difficulties of those of you who have been sober for so long is reassuring. When i have my doubts and my "why is this still so hard after all this time " I will know that I am not alone. I guess we are all always at risk.
              I hope to be where so many of you are in a few months. Thanks for the inspiration
              Janet

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Vinophile

You couldnt be more right..this morning was the best iv felt yet...cause i got through my battle last night, i was up at half 6 feeling amazing...that has never been known for me on a sunday!!!
                Took myself off to the gym..thats 6 days running now and then went for a swim afterwards an i jus feel so chilled out an relaxed..an generaly just pleased with myself. I am becoming the person i used to be and i love it...everyday i get a little bit of me back an the rewarding feeling i get from that is enough to keep me going. I'm beginning to let myself have the dreams and ambitions i had years ago...an i actualy can see that they are achievable. I feel excited and positive..i just hope to god this lasts!

Lots a love

Lou - Lou x x x
                "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Lou Lou, I feel so happy for you. And this sort of thing is equally inspiring to me as well. This stuff just keeps the mywayout world keep goin round n round. Big smiles and hugs! gabby

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Just having a good time sewing this morning and early afternoon. It feels good. I also slept in, another yum-yum!!! Janet, boy, I would love to spend some time outdoors, and maybe I will go outside with some iced tea on my deck later this afternoon and enjoy for a while! It IS delicious out there! Not like August at all!

Lou-lou! Great job! You deserve every single bit of pride that you are feeling today!! Keep up the great work!

Aren't we all just swell????

Hugs and kisses,

Kathy
                    AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Yeppers Kath, I just love us all! gabby

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Hello, Hello!
                        Just a quick check-in....
                        Bambs--you are SO welcome here! Sorry, I didn't get a chance to say so yesterday...but I am really glad to see you here. And, Lou! Well done! Hope today is a bit easier for you...but isn't it wonderful to know there is a place like this to come to and share your struggle and receive support and encouragement!

One of the things we really need to remind ourselves of is that it is as much of a gift to need and accept help as it is to be able to offer help to others. None of us should hesitate to show that we are vulnerable or struggling because that is sometimes the very thing that we have to offer...that WE need help. And what a blessing it can be to show others that we need them! :l

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I am as grateful to be able to be here for others as I am that others are here for me... We all love to feel needed--that means, though, that someone has to need us! So, we owe it to each other to both offer support and encouragement when we are able to do so AND to ask for support and encouragement in return.... It's a two-way street--and we're all winners no matter which side of the street we may find ourselves on!

BTW, the house burning was great! The pyromaniac inside me was totally thrilled! And I definitely could NOT have gotten out of bed for it (5am!), if I had been guzzling wine all night!

Okay, my fabulous peeps--can't do a "roll-call"--but each and every one of you is in my (happy) thoughts today!
                        :h
                        susan (aka clever clogs)

(for those of you who don't know, "clever clogs" was Bambs' idea! Thanks, sweetie!)
                        "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Oh Suzee Q....I just love ya. You put all that and everything else you post so well. Thanks for being you and sharing you with us. Gabbs

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Happy Sunday afternoon abbers!

This morning felt like fall here in Bama! It was such a relief from the heat!

Hubby and I had coffee in the swing on the barn porch and decided to go into town for breakfast. We found our swing number five while there and brought it home and it now swings proudly in the upper flower- raised bed garden.

Glad to hear things are going well for posters and hope that if they're not, you will come in here and "get it off your chest"!! Like Susan said.....works both ways for us here and some times life is hard. Can't stand to watch the world news right now...depressing! And a trigger!:upset:

Gotta run.....:l to all you peeps!

Nancy & Baby Belle
                            "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Sunday 13 August!

Almost time for nighty night!!! Whew, well, sewing IS fun, but I must admit, even without time pressure, I did recall a few times today why I reached for the bottle last winter when I was cursing and ripping out seams!!! *#(#%^&(*!!!! But I made it (YAY!!), even though my back hurts like anything. Getting through the first flag is the worst, though, and it will get easier from here. Thanks for listening to the kvetching!

Hugs, Kathy
                              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X