Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ch-ch-ch-changes I've noticed this week

Hey modders and lurkers,
    Remember that David Bowie song? I remember it being pretty popular in the late 70's.

Starting a new thread designed to just talk about and focus on the changes we've made/seen etc. since we started modding...good and bad. Let's keep adding to this one week after week just focusing on our progress or lack of!

This week changes I've noticed:

1. Could have talked myself into a nice glass of white with dinner last night as I don't work today. However, that would put me over my weekly limit if I have anything over the week-end so I was able to talk myself out of it.

2. Going to an early dinner get together with co-workers at a Mexican Restaurant. Any excuse to drink would be a reason for it and SO easy to allow myself that margarita. However, that would mean drinking and driving as hubby won't be with me plus I rather like the thought of NOT drinking with my co-workers. It's questionable whether they know I have a problem or not although they certainly may know that being my boss said "I was a hoot when drinking" to one of them (which stemmed from a Christmas party two years ago). So, this will be the first time in a drinking social event with them that I won't be drinking and I rather like the thought.

Ch-ch-ch-changes...good ones for me this week.
    Hugs,
    Eve11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl3vxEudif8[/video]]YouTube - david bowie - changes
    "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

I love that song Eve!!

My biggest change which I have noticed is I now enjoy exercise and I love going to Yoga.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Thanks for the thread, Eve. My biggest change is my awareness of NOW- each moment, minute, image enjoyed and remembered. Living life in the full awareness no longer shadowed and tainted by the abuse of alcohol.
      Toughen up!

Comment

I haven't had a drink yet, since I became AF, but I am not craving a drink because I know I can have one any time I want, IF I want. I just don't HAVE to have one. So I don't feel any pressure to stay AF or have a drink either. If all of that makes sense...
        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
        AF May 23 09 to July 09
        AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Delta Moon;581558 wrote: My biggest change is my awareness of NOW- each moment, minute, image enjoyed and remembered.
          Thanks for sharing Delta Moon and what an astute observation.

In the "old" days I remember when drinking/drunk of talking, taking pictures, giving compliments, etc. and then the next day I wouldn't remember a thing until I found a little piece of evidence like a phone number or like the one time when I found an autograph of a talented young girl who I gushed over and said she was going to be so famous one day that I wanted her first autograph. It's shameful to say I didn't even remember the incident until I found her autograph and my son (yikes!) reminded me of this particular situation I had NO recollection of.

I am SO glad I am living in the NOW as well and even though drinking moderately (as I know you've been AF the last 30+ days) my mental capacities are in full force - no blackouts, or embarrassing moments...I'm so grateful!

Thanks for sharing Delta.
          Eve11
          p.s. Panicked
          We were posting at the same time and your post beat me by seconds so wanted to let you know I do totally relate to what you're saying and I TRULY like that kind of thinking. That's modding in it's best form!

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Really, one drink is enough for me now. But I keep pushing my boundary and having two, and feeling lousy.

I think I'm on a 'trying out' stint before laying down rules.

So my biggest change is how little I can drink now before feeling the effects.

Bxx
            Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

David Bowie! Yes, loved that song. We are all changing for the better. I know for me, seeing so many zeros, although I have slips here and there is a big change for me in this past year. I like seeing zeros, waking up clear-headed and fresh. I had two bottles of beer last night, but feel fine today. I don't consider it a slip-up, so I don't have guilt, nor a hangover. Have a great day all. Off to class! P.S. I feel like freakin' grandma in these classes!
              Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Sweaty Betty;581588 wrote: Really, one drink is enough for me now. But I keep pushing my boundary and having two
                Betty,
                I am noticing that I am doing that too. When I first started this process (1st time around in March 07) I thought limiting myself to 3 was a sacrifice. Quit coming to the boards (no idea why I did that!) and backslid into drinking with abandon or verbalizing to hubby that I was going to go this party and be good and I'd end up stumbling out the door.

When I rejoined something had changed and it was easy to limit myself to two. Going over that amount will de-motivate me the next day and possibly give me hangover effects.

So, last night didn't do the work dinner as business things interfered so we ended up eating at home and popping a very FINE bottle of red wine. I was really feeling like I could have easily quit with the one. If I had been at a fine dining restaurant I would have only ordered one. The one glass was really satisifying me. But being we were staying home and watching a movie it became easy to have that 2nd one throughout the evening although it was a rare feeling for me to not be overly desiring it or feeling like I "need" to have another. Small changes...big changes. It's all a process.

Keep sharing. Enjoy learning from everyone.
                Hugs,
                Eve11

Comment

Just a Hi

I am still on my initial AF stint (35 of 55) but I am watching this thread with interest as I gear up to begin trying my mod life in a few weeks. This is a good thread, long may it continue and I look forward to being able to contribute properly. Until then.....I shall lurk, read and learn!
                  "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                  but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Hey Moo,
                    I know what you mean about learning. I was reading Sunbeam's posts about gardening and decided to give it a try and planted flowers today and we're going to plant vegetables and fruit at our get a way place next week-end.
                    Changes with that? Well, the old me probably would have had a hangover and would NOT want to be bending my head to plant anything. I would have been focusing about planting a Bloody Mary in my hand to "have a little bit of the hair of the dog that bit me".

Comment

I feel like a "class act"

I used to feel like a dirtball at times.
                      My self esteem has improved immensely since attaining some control over my drinking.
                      How nice to be able to go somewhere and know I will be able to drink and not be a complete fool!
                      There will be conversations that I'll be involved in without that "look";
                      that look of of disdain or pity or incredulity...
                      I wake up every day hangover free, a little cloudy at the worst.
                      The damage seems to be controlled at last.
                      I have the best of so many worlds in this "Mod Life".
                      I still think that one day I want to work toward "occasional" drinking; I know I'll be happier.
                      For now, I'll Mod and relish the changes.
                      ~Kid~
                      It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
                      ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hi Kid,
                        It is great to see you back! We all really missed you. You add a lot of personality to this thread.

I went through a gradual process, I guess you know, before cutting back to the level where I truly feel in control. Right now, I'm a little worried because my favorite drinking time used to be on the patio in warm weather. I was AF last winter, OK in spring, struggled through most of the summer, then worked on cutting way back in the fall. Through those struggles, I kept reassuring myself that I had improved a lot, and that was true. Now, I just have a nagging worry about the enticing warm weather. But my flavored seltzer is filling that void nicely, and I'm pretty sure I'll be fine. I think there is such a thing as too much confidence.

I am really excited about the gardening season, and about the projects I have already started. Without much AL in the picture, I have abundant energy. I haven't felt this good in years.
                        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

[QUOTE]I used to feel like a dirtball at times.QUOTE]

The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity.
                          ~Author Unknown

Kid,

Found this saying and it pretty much sums up what you said and how I felt at times too.
                          Glad to hear from you. Miss you when you're not around. Hope the roping and steering went well and you're back settled in with Cat, HHG and Ed!

Sunbeam,
                          Energy and inspired by your gardening tips today so planted my flowers and can't wait to watch them bloom!

Hugs,
                          Eve11

Comment

Kid Shelleen;581817 wrote: I used to feel like a dirtball at times.
                            The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity.
                            ~Author Unknown
                            Kid,

Found this saying and it pretty much sums up what you said and how I felt at times too.
                            Glad to hear from you. Miss you when you're not around. Hope the roping and steering went well and you're back settled in with Cat, HHG and Ed!

Sunbeam,
                            I had abundant energy and was so inspired by your gardening tips today that I planted some flowers and can't wait to watch them bloom!

Hugs,
                            Eve11

Comment

Ch-ch-changes week 3/27-5/4

"The first glass is for myself, the second for my friends, the third is for my good humor, and the forth for my enemies"
                              ~ Author Unknown

I thought for this week of March 30-April 6 along with discussing whatever changes we felt like discussing we would focus on how friendships have changed with our changes in drinking (whether we’re modding or are AF).

I’ve noticed that I’m more cautious about hooking up with a girlfriend who enjoys 2 glasses of wine with lunch or after an afternoon movie date. Have kept the movie date but then made an excuse of an errand to do so I didn’t have time to fit in the drinking. I kept to only one glass per her two the last time we had a lunch date but I would have preferred to have none at all so may see that lunch date with her disappearing in the future.

I know major changes have to be made with some friendships when one is cutting down or recovering. Interested in hearing your stories.

Hugs,
                              Eve11

Comment

Working...
                              X