Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuesday, August 15th

Good Morning, Abbers--
    Had a very down day yesterday and getting off to a slow start this morning.... It happens. Some days are definitely better than others, and a rainy Tuesday, just coming off a lovely vacation doesn't have much potential for being one of the better days....

One of the things that I believe has really helped my in my abs journey has been a change in diet. I have been avoiding sugar almost completely, together with bread, rice, and other so-called "white" foods...Last April, one of the things that made me realize just how mired in the abyss I was, was the fact that I was diagnosed as diabetic. So, one of the things I added to my new non-drinking lifestyle was to eat a sugar-free diet... the good news is that after just a few weeks of no alcohol and no sugar my blood tests showed that I was no longer "diabetic"--it was completely self-induced by enormous quantities of wine and other foods that raise blood sugar too much.... And I felt much better than I have in years...

So...the point of all this is that for the last few days of my Vermont vacation I fell off my sugar-free diet...I had dinner with friends, there was a special event, someone gave me a "treat," etc., etc....all the excuses we so often use for eating the wrong stuff--or for drinking alcohol when we know what it does to us....

So, this week I seem to be paying the price for my sugar indulgence...and I realize that my abs life also requires other sorts of committments to myself. It's not just about the drinking--it's about the other ways we maintain abs as well...

So, today I am going to try to honor all the other changes I have made in my life--no sugar, fulfilling my responsibilities, not just sitting around moping when I'm not feeling great... I will reread some of the MWO book, try to get some exercise, and take all my supps...I will post and read here on the board...

So, how's everyone else in Absville today? How are you honoring your new abs life? What parts of the program will you focus on today?

How will you make a choice between blessing and curse, life over death, abs over alcohol?? Hmmm?
    :h
    susan
    "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Tuesday, August 15th

Hey Abs

Hi there Susan..Lovely to hear from you as always. Dont beat your self up about going a tad off the rails whilst away, its allowed as long as you get straight back in to it. I think you did amazing to get rid of your diabetes in the first place... so well done you x
    I am on day 20 of abs today an boy does it feel good.. been up at 7 every morning..im always the first in the gym..lol!!
    Keep ya chin up honey...you'll soon be back on track

Lots a love

Lou - Lou x x x
    "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Morning, Abbers!

I'll try not to write a book, here, like I usually do, and just say hi! Here's a little bit of progress.....I've been procrastinating on sewing a bit, because I don't get to drink anymore:upset: (I usually always had a few glasses of wine, unless it was the morning) , but finally, last night I did get down to it. I sewed a couple of hours, and after I was finished and getting ready for bed, I realized that I hadn't thought about drinking once!!!:happy: That really made me feel good!!

Isn't it amazing, Susan, how a day or two of bad eating can do its damage for several days afterwards??? I feel it in my body, and I see it on the scale! Yuck! So now we have to think through the cake and the cookies, too, as well as thinking through the drink, right?? LOL! Anyway, I hope your day gets better as it goes on!

I will have time to do the hypno tape today for abs. I've been listening to the subliminal, and I think it really helps, but I haven't yet listened to the actual hypno tape. I'm looking forward to seeing what James has cooked up in the form of strange pronunciation of everyday words!

Lou-lou! You are awesome!!! I'm so happy for your progress!! Keep up the good work, girlfriend! High fives to you! It's hard to find the words to describe how inspiring you are......

Anyway, I'm going to get in about an hour of sewing before I have to leave for the day, so take care all! And to those that post later, I hope that you all have a wonderful day as well!

Hugs and love,:l

Kathy

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

good morning

Susan great info about the sugar and how it affected you. When you really feel the difference it really helps you get back on the sugar free path. Just as with alcohol--when we abstain for a while--then put it in our system its a real wake up call on how terrible we were actually making ourselves feel.

Lou--I am sure that all the things that you want in your life will make it there in due time. I truly believe if you focus on getting well, which will build so much in you other than just a healthy liver--you will attract the things you want most.

Today my plan to honor my new life includes a ton of water, getting more veggies, no smoking and going to a meeting tonight. Then when I get home cuddling on the couch with my hubby watching "RockStar". Ahh, now to just get through the workday!

Hugs to everyone!

Kim

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Hello all
          Even though I am not doing abs, sometimes I float over to the abs board to see how you are all doing and just wanted to say I am inspired by you all - but wanted to give an extra big hug to my special LOU LOU - I am so proud and happy you are here!!!! YAY for you
          Love Jen
          Over 4 months AF :h

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Wow, Lou! Day 20--fabulous! Now, aren't you GLAD you didn't go on that night out with the girls and jeopardize everything you've struggled to achieve?!

And, Kathy, getting right on with sewing those flags sans wine glass! Good going! Bet those seams are just a little straighter than they were last time...plus every time you look at the flags they are going to be a reminder of what you've done for yourself! Think of each one as a little trophy for another moment of abs....

I wasn't so much beating myself up about falling of the sugar wagon, as recognizing that abs isn't JUST about putting down the wine glass (or flinging the vodka through the window!), it is also about HOW I don't pick up the wine/vodka again...how I make my abs journey just a tad easier.... CV posted some wonderful stuff about the relationship between sugar and alcohol cravings and I have found this to be so true for me: alcohol=sugar, eating sugar makes my abs life a little more problematic... When I popped that sugar into my mouth I not only kicked into action some physical cravings, but I also sent a message to my psyche that I'm really not taking my abs struggle seriously...I'm not willing to DO WHATEVER IT TAKES...(some of you may recognize my mantra here, ) and WHATEVER IT TAKES is what I need to do.

So, all the little stuff we do to help ourselves on this journey back to sanity is really important...it reminds us that this is serious and worth making sacrifices for, worth changing other aspects of our lives that tend to support our drinking rather than reinforce our determination to kick the booze to the curb...

Onwards!
            :h
            susan

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Thanks, Jen for popping in and saying hello! We need all the support and encouragement we can get!

And, Kim, you're so right about remembering how bad I was making myself feel...ugh! And, thanks for sharing how you are honoring your new life--sounds like an excellent plan and shows how you are keeping your eyes on the prize (the Abs prize, that is!) And think of how truly ghastly the workday would be with a hangover! Enjoy your meeting, the movie, and the cuddle! Isn't this all SO worth it!
              :l
              susan

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Good morning Abbers

Wow.....what we eat does make a big difference! I've heard that white sugar is a "drug". If they were trying to get it ok'ed by the FDA, it would be a big problem. Side effects and all...

Well, we picked the grapes this morning and are checking the sugar content in them to see how much to add!
                I just wish I didn't have to deal with it at all.

My plan for today:
                Drink lots of H20
                Drink my carrot juice and Maga Plus 8oz...three times
                Do my cds this evening in my bathtub!" Let all my problems just wash away"
                Take supps
                Feed myself straight from the garden as much as possible.
                Send happy thoughts and prayers for all my friends here.
                Even the "hidden" one who don't post!:l

Nancy & Belle

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Hi guys,
                  Man, I am so impressed with how hard everyone is working. Just so inspiring. I have had a great week mith my dad and his wife and the kids here just hangin out. Dad is doin well recovering from his surgery. I feel sad the week is nearly over. Wish we werent so far away from each other. My mom has been in heaven since I was pregnant with my oldest son. I miss her so much. Just sad how fast life really is. Anther reason not to waste it fuzzed by alcohol. To many things happen just to fast. Ya really to have to live life to the fullest each moment. Why give it to booze. Passed by a church yesterday. The sign was a good one. It said, "Dont give the devil a ride, He'll be in the drivers seat before ya know it". Oh so true. That bottle of vodka or 6/pk of beer....should have a picture of the horned beast on every bottle or can....dont ya think? Something to ponder about.

Anyway...I hate leavin dad. Even tho he is doin so well. He is 73 years old. Just wish he lived closer is all. Knowin the pain of losin Mom, at such a young age to boot. I fear knowing it is ahead of me with dad. Dont mean to sound like a lecturing nut, but ya all should call your folks if they are still alive and tell em ya love em just for no reason today. Sorry to sound depressing, but its just a real life thing tho. :upset:

Anyway, hope everyone who has posted and who is still gonna post has a wonderful day. Smiles and hugs, gabby
                  Gabby :flower:

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Good Day All,
                    Gabby,your post is so true!!I lost my dad last year and I miss him so much. So many times when I am in a dilemna I think of what he would have wanted me to do and inevitable it is the right choice.They're gone but still with us.
                    Most everyone has so many abs days under their belts. I am on day 8 now and probably the caboose of the abs group but I'm chugging away behind you all .
                    I went to my Women for Sobriety meeting last night and was a bit dissappointed. Most of the group were former narcotics addicts and unfortunately I did not feel a real connection with them. I suppose an adidict is an addict but most of them were taking over 100 percocets daily and were still in the" sobriety house" where the meeting took place. I left feeling ...gee I'm not as bad as I thought I was(not a feeling I'm proud of). I feel much more of an affinity for the members here. I was searching for group support and perhaps a bit more accountability but I have ordered several book from the WFS website and will delve into them when received.Once again I must thank you all for your experience,introspection,willingness to share both the good and the bad, and for your humour.
                    Janet

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

tuesday

Janet--I am so sorry that your meeting was a disappointment. I really enjoy the theory behind the WFS program. Where I live there are literally hundreds of AA meetings to choose from. The one I go to on Tuesday's when I can (hubby usually has band practice) is a mixed meeting and about 90% men--but there is a group of 10-15 women that sit together and they really are the most inspiring group of woman I have ever met. I also have a woman's only meeting I attend. I do like the face to face support--also--it puts another face on the fact that this effects people of all levels of living, race etc. The real down and outers are really the minority, rather than the majority.

Susan your transformation is really incredible. Sometimes it is hard to see in it in ourselves the level of transformation that has taken place--but seeing it in you is really inspiring..."I want what you have"...Ahh the AA mantras...

Another board I am on we often joke that we would like to see "Mr. Yuk!" stickers on all alcohol products rather than the Surgeon General's Warning. Mr.Yuk stickers were given to parents when I was a kid to help prevent kids from getting into poisonous stuff. I had ordered stickers (for myself) and flashcards for my son. I had to laugh when one card had a beer can and wine glass on it---umm poison for 5 year old--means posion for me too. Otherwise, why would only alcohol and cigarettes have age limits on it? So I get a "Mr. Yuk" sticker everyday that I don't drink--I am really loving the fact that I have 12 in a row...I am starting to love his green face.

Kim

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

:woot: I'm on Day 15! I can't believe how good I feel! Thinking of extending my abs time into September. I'm going to San Francisco on September 29 - if I abs until then, it will be 60 days. And hopefully a few pounds.

I feel better when I don't eat sugar...I think it triggers alcohol cravings. It is harder to resist now, but still it is the lesser of two evils.

Anyway, lots of reading on my plate, running to burn off any remaining cravings, and trips down the El-E-Va-Tor in the evenings.
                        Diane M.

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Hi all...I have been reading for about 4 hours tonight and I have to say I'm quite overwhelmed. I've posted a few times on the "new" board and Thank You Susan for telling me about this one. And Kathy, you were the very first one to welcome me so of course my eyes lit up when I saw you over here. The reason I'm so overwhelmed though is because there are so many different topics going on at once and I want to chime in on them ALL. Geez...I would have to quit my job..:eeks:

Today is my 9th day of abstinence. I'm determined to make it to 30. Not doing the Topa but doing everything else. The really cool thing is that when I reach my 30 days which will be 9/7, that will also be my 1 year anniversary of quiiting smoking. I planned it this way so that I HAVE to make it to my 30 day mark, otherwise I screw up a huge opportunity for a special double celebration.

I found this board because I was looking for a support board similar to the one I used for quitting smoking. Communicating with a community of people who are all after a common goal and who can relate to your plight makes all the difference in the world. I never knew how unsupportive my friends could be until I started my journey to clean up my act. I love my friends to pieces and they have been there for me so many times and I don't want to take that away from them but the ones who smoke did not really want me to quit and they pretty much let me know it. Now that I'm on a mission to tackle my drinking problem, they're really turning on the charm. My best friend asked me the other day when we went out for brunch if I was still not drinking(with a snarly smirk on her face) and when I said yep..7 days...she said she didn't know why I wanted to torture myself.... How's that for support? I'm getting a little carried away here but what I'm really trying to say is I'm glad to be here and I'm so glad you're all here and I'm glad we can all take this difficult but adventurous and promising ride together.....:h
                          Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Hi,
                            I had to add my two cents worth to Susan's & everybody elses comments about sugar & alcohol cravings. I can really relate. Firstly though, I must apologise to my fellow abbers as i've done a nosedive. I plan to re-start my abs tomorrow. However, the sugar thing is important:-

I also decided to go on a no-sugar low-carb diet to support my MWO program since the last time I was successfully sober for a good period without cravings was when I was on that diet. I got 16 days abs under my belt & felt great! And gratefull! My fall from grace was begun this time by having some light beer after stress. Well, that was the beginning of the end. I'm not sure if I was too confident of the 'new me' or if it was the sugar that caused me to fail. There sure is nothing on the bottle to tell me how much sugar is in it.

On another note, Janet: I went to a detox centre many years ago, in fact I tried it twice, and both times I was the only person who voluntarily attended, and the only person in for alcohol. Every other person there was in for heroin and had been ordered to be there by a Magistrate as part of their Court sentence. It was a mind-bending experience. It did not do my self esteem any good and certainly did not empower me in any way. I was treated like a criminal.:blush:

Since then (15 years later) I attended a drug/alcohol counselling session one time. Again, their attitude and treatement options were punative. There is nothing available in my country for treating problem drinking. There is only abuse and punishment. If you are a smoker, there are large amounts of government funding to help you quit. I'm not sure I understand why problem drinking is treated the same way as illegal drug dependence, but there it is.

This is the most promising and helpful program I have ever come accross.
                            Much Love & Gratitude to you all.
                            :heart:
                            MFM
                            myfavouritemartian

Comment

Tuesday, August 15th

Welcome Dee! It's good to see you over here!! And great job!! I'm sorry about your friends--they are likely threatened and envious with your decisions, and rather than look at themselves, would rather try and pull you back into line. It would make it so much easier on them!! I applaud your courage in staying the course.

And Martian! You've been doing so well. Now you get to joing the exclusive club of 'stainers who've fallen on their butts! Welcome! Anyway, I'm glad you're starting again. (I feel like I've started again and again and again, since January!!)

Hugs, Kathy
                              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
                              X